F-Body Europe

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Stripes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 8:04 am 
No Life

I just put the new stripes on my car lastnight, I wondering if it is ok to use "Meguair's Gold" wax on the stripes like the rest of the car??

[img]http://www.fbodyeurope.org/gallery/110_Image098.jpg[/img

Post subject: recommendation from a rookie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 9:43 pm 

Firechicken

I would suggest on waiting a little bit before applying wax on the stripes. How do you like them and what color did you get. what do you think about the quality of the vinyl.
I have to check them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:26 pm 
No Life
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

I am thinking of putting some of those stipes on the Camaro. I first was thinking of black, as I have a silver car. But now I am kicking around the idea of doing something differant... orange or red. The wife says no, go purple. I was just wondering what you guys thought of it. I know that I am the one that will have to live with the decision, I just want people look at it and think 'that's differant', not 'that's stupid'.

RT1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:30 pm 
No Life

rt1,
I give the credit to Gil as he is the one that turned me on to the guy to buy the stripes from. If you want I can e-mail you some pictures of how I did mine. check out autografics.com they where over a hundred less than the next guy and they give a 8 year guarentee on them. He's got a bunch of different colors to chose from, check them out, I'm impressed with how it turned out.
Val

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:31 pm 
No Life
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

Yeah, I got the website from Gil also. Those really look great on his car. I am just wondering what color to go with. Been going back and forth with the wife on it... I keep loosing the 'paper/rock/scissors' with her. If I don't get any ideas I might have to go with the purple. Can you go ahead and shoot me an email with some pics of your ride, that might help out. Thanks for your help man.

RT1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:13 am 
No Life

RT1,
I understand the rock, paper drill, I've lost a few of those myself! I almost went with white(car's navy blue), glad I went with metalic silver, it really makes the hood scoopes stand out! I'll send you some pictures tonight when I get home from work, I'll send them all to you(from start to finish).
Val

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:54 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Why you all mess with them ugly stripes...???
I don't like 'em glued on s***. :P
But that's everybodys own decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:09 pm 
No Life
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

Firechicken... that would be great if you could send those pics. I look forward to seeing the process. Gil did say it was easy. But 'easy' is relative to skill.

Squirrelina... I would like to paint them on myself, but then if I don't like it, the removal would be more costly. I hope you aren't thinking of the purple like the wife is. :)

RT1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:54 am 
No Life

rt1,
I tried to send the pics to your e-mail (listed under F-body members) lastnight but it came back undeliverable. I've ran into this problem before if you box is to full it'll send them back. There is a total of 37 of them from start to finish. I'll try again this evening but it'll be 3 seperate e-mails to get them all to you. It is easy as long as you have a plan. This is how I did it; find the center of the hood, top, hatch lid. Take a piece of string tape it to the (center)nose of the car,back of the hood, top of the car, base of the glass(hatch), and then the rear bumper.Then measure out from center, lay down the stripes(w/paper still attached)mark with masking tape. I used the tape as a border so when it came time to put down the stripes I had border to go off of. Wash the area with dish soap really good(removes wax) dry, get a spray bottle CLEAN one, fill with water and 1 DROP of dish soap, shake up. Spray really good where you'll lay down the first stripe, peel off the backing paper(sticky side) and lay down adjust off the borders(masking tape) and squegee out the water from center out. (I let mine sit until I had the other stripe ready to go) Peel off the paper being careful not to pull up the stripe. You might get some air bubbles (it's ok) try to work them out, let set in the sun and that should take care of them, if not use a pin and do it that way. Do all of this in the shade, much easier to work with!! The most time consuming part is measuring everything and masking the borders(use 1" masking tape, works great) Do yourself a favor you and your wife look at the borders (before sticking the stripes)to make sure it looks good. Trust me it's REALLY EASY!! Look at the photo of my "73" under the F-Body members it's under Val Robinson. That was my first stipe job and that was painted on, the stickers are 10 times easier. As far as colors have you thought about a Dark metalic blue? it's just a thought.
Val

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:53 am 
 WWW  Profile

The great thing about having your own car is being able to do what you want to it. Go with orange if you want, I'll just keep my mouth shut. That's why I have my own car to play with! :)

Paula :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:50 am 
No Life
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

PT_Cruisin... I value your input. I just think that purple isn't gonna look good. I want something that I can also do to the engine... I know I don't want purple on my engine.

Firechicken... that does sound rather easy. It might take me a four day weekend to get it done. Dark blue looks too much like the black. Besides there is a blue RS here with silver stripes, don't want to think that we planned it like that. I was originally going to put black on my silver Camaro, and silver stripes on the wifes black Z. Like a his and hers kinda thing. But found that a bit cheezy. BTW you have mail.

RT1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:47 pm 
No Life

pt_cruisin, rt1,
Your exactly right about doing what ever you want with your ride.... it's your ride and it's for your pleasure! The his and hers idea is cool, the sky is the limit for ideas. IT shouldn't take a 4 day, if it comes down to it maybe we can hook up and get it done that way.
Val

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

I am getting ready to paint my wheels Yellow!!!! I plan to replace the silver firehawk graphics with yellow ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:01 pm 
No Life
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

Stop it Bruce, that ain't funny. You paint them yella and I will point and laugh.

RT1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:34 pm 
No Life

You just gotta love those "YELLOW WHEELS", I'll get you a good price on those graphics(LOL)!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:21 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
I am getting ready to paint my wheels Yellow!!!! I plan to replace the silver firehawk graphics with yellow ones.

?The Hawk is changing into a Bee?
Get yellow stripes too!

Post subject: RT1
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:11 pm 

the beauty of the vinyl stripes I used was that it is so inexpensive that you could actually just take off the stripes if you don't like them and get a different color.
I myself bought two different colored stripes one blue and another set dark silver. I tried the blue ones on first and have beeen happy ever since.

Last edited by Gil on Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:45 am 
Site Admin

Yellow firehawk graphics,yellow stripes and yellow wheels???? I think I got the combo LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:52 am 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

... you are right about easier changing the stripes to different ones, didn't think about this point.
In the past I just always got mad when I bought a car and tried to remove stickers or old stripes which left marks on the paint. Even when I got the glue particles all off I was still able to spot some differences in the painting.
In the past (some) germans had lots of stickers, and they are really hard to remove.
I never put anything on the paint, only on the glass.
But I do like cool looking paintjobs.
Had a blue-black-white painted ralleycar, and two times
silver-black. As I got tired of that, I had single colors since that. Now my Camaro has red 'sticky' stripes on black, the Dodge has orange ones on white - and they are really put on bad, overlapping each other at one spot.
However: Both cars need a complete new paintjob is what I say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:04 am 
Site Admin

So you are sticking with the orange stickers? I had a car like that in high school.