F-Body Europe

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Stripes question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 12:34 pm 
No Life
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

I have been thinking about when I do get my car running and get a chance to put these stripes on the car. I am thinking that the hood stripes are going to be giving me a problem. I got the 30th Anny style of stripes. The problem is, is that they start out small and get wider up at the top of the hood. The problem lies in the 'heat extractors' on the hood. I don't want to mess the stripes up trying to get them to fit right around the extractors. I don't want to cut it wrong. Anyone that has done this kinda thing before have any ideas? I was thinking of getting some spray paint and putting a base color down, the same color as the stripes, so if it does get messed up, you couldn't see the silver under the stripe. I have also seen somewhere, where they just cut all the way around the extractor, which looked much cheesy. This a pic of the stripes that I got... Image

just to give you an idea of what I am talking about. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 12:48 pm 
No Life
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

Here's a better picture...

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

I am sure they are made to custom fit your beast. or at least be sure to ask

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 8:24 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  Profile

I don't think I would try that on my own.. Well, I might, but I would not recommend it to anyone with common sense. I would take it to a body shop first, and see how much they would charge. I wouldn't think it should be very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 8:25 pm 
No Life
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

Yeah you would think so. When I laid the stripes out, it didn't look like there was a cut, or extra at the place that they would meet. I don't know, I think the spray paint method will be the best.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 8:32 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  Profile

What's the spray paint method?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 8:38 pm 
No Life
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

It was my orginal idea in the first post... spray the trouble area with the same color as the stripes, then if I do mess it up you won't be able to tell, cuz you can't see the silver where there is no stripe.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:06 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  Profile

Doh! :o Maybe I should read the whole post before I reply.. :o

I don't know man. Like I said, I would take it to a professional, to be on the safe side!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:41 pm 
No Life

In the area where you would have to cut the stripes, does the opening go straight down or would the tape on the lower part have to go up under the upper part. When you try to put the tapes on, first spray some soap and water solution on the area where the stripe goes. Make sure it is good and wet. This will allow you to move the stripes around a little bit to get them just where you want them. Once you get them exactly where you want them, use a fairly stiff squeegee and start at the middle of the stripe and squeegee the water out from under the stripe. Take your time and work slowly, making sure you get the air bubbles out as you go. You will probably get a few bubbles under it. If you do, you can use the tip if an exacto knife to prick the bubble and then smooth it out, getting all of the water out from under the bubble. When you need to cut it for the heat extractors, you should be able to use the same exacto knife to cut the strip where it needs to be cut. If you need to stretch the stripe a little to fit where the heat extractor is, you should be able to use a hair dryer to heat it slightly so you can stretch it just a little.

I have never put stripes on a car, but I have put them, and names, on boats. That is how I always did it. I have also put signs on the side of trucks the same way. Don't know if you want to try it on your own or not, but it should work.

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:16 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  Profile

Hmm, that is very interesting.. Should be too easy that way on a newer camaro, without those vents or whatever...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:51 am 
Cool Newbie

i dunno, i personally dont like the stripes (especially orange) but i do know that u can buy the new 35th anniversary checkered stripes (theyre just big decals) and i think those look pretty darn good, but... if i was forced to put stripes on my car id get them painted on to go all the way down the front bumper and the back of the car. i recommend shoping around on the internet for those 35th anniversary stripes tho, unless u already bought yur stripes already

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:08 am 
No Life
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

Yeah I think that getting a pro to do it will prolly be the best thing. But I don't have that much common sense, and will end up doing myself, cuz it seems so easy, except for that one spot. I didn't think about the hair drier, that might just work. Also, Wildcat, I didn't get the Orange, I did think about it but went with the Burgandy Metallic on my Silver car. Should look sweeeeet. BTW, Happy Thanksgiving. Oops I forgot to mention, you can get those 35th anny stripes, in any color you want, and with or without the checkers. http://63.74.14.89/Merchant2/merchant.m ... =Chevrolet

Rob

Last edited by RT1 on Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:20 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  Profile

You can also get some sweet ones from http://www.3rdgendecals.com
They have 'em for all models/years.