F-Body Europe

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Carbon Fiber Fetish
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2001 6:04 pm 
No Life
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

I was in search of a carbon fiber plate to go on the flip sercurity face on my Kenwood, and also the little trim piece that goes around the sterio. I went-a-surfing and found a place that 'says' make him a template and he will make it. I then asked him sence they do custom work, how about some letters that I can put on the back of my Camaro. No, not Z28, but RT1. He said that it wouldn't be a problem. This might be to good to be true, but I'm hooked. He said also that he could only give me an est. when he received the templates. So, I will send off some templates and report back. If anyone wants to join the Fetish, I'll post the reps e-mail address and the web site.

RT1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 7:22 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

I'm game !

About that carbon radio bezel, let me make some pics and show you what i did.
I'll report back later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 12:04 am 
 ICQ  Profile

Ok, once upon a time i received an automic transmission Carbon fiber bezel and since i have a manual it was useless, but i did keep it as i knew the carbon itself would come to use.
After looking at that boring radio adaptor bezel for years i decided to cover it with carbon so it would compliment the rest of the dash/console.

Well, i just heatend the carbon so it was easier to cut and i cut strokes and put them on the bezel with the 3m tape that was already on there. I made sure that the round 'soft' edge was towards the center (radio) so it would look professional.

The edges on the other side were jagged and ugly BUT the dashboard would cover that anyway :)

See the result, i'm quite happy with it myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2001 6:14 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  Profile

Whoa, you got a lot of carbon fiber!!! ;) Looks trick...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 7:48 pm 

FOLIATEC makes some self adhensive carbon fiber looking stuff. I used it for my dash and I think it looks pretty good. It's real easy to use and cost about 60DM for a roll. You can get it at most German Auto Parts stores that sell aftermarket products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 11:50 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

I ONLY like 100% real CF cause when you've seen real CF the rest will simply not do.
The Carbon Look tape looks good from a distance but it gets cheap upclose.
It is however a good way to improve the dash at a low cost as the real CF is simply too damn expensive and you hardly can find a complete set that has ALL the bezels you want.

Foliatec also makes a Real CF do it yourself kit that requires you to use the epoxy along with the CF sheets but after talking to the Foliatec salesperson i forgot about it as it's expensive and requires so many practise to make it look decent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 3:46 pm 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

All that carbon fibre makes your eyes go funny. I thought it was one of those magic eye pictures to begin with. I sure wouldn't mind some carbon fibre overlays for the Z28 badges which on the black cars are all but invisible...or should I have them red or hugger orange or silver?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 3:48 pm 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

All that carbon fibre makes your eyes go funny. I thought it was one of those magic eye pictures to begin with. I wouldn't mind some carbon fibre overlays for the Z28 badges which on the black cars are all but invisible...or should I have them red or hugger orange or silver? I used the Foliatec on my '87 Z28. It cost too much (£22 a roll) and I needed two packs then decided I'd overdone it and tore a lot of it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:43 am 

RKsprt does the CF Z28 badges in black or red. They also have the CF nose badge.

Post subject: You know you can make those your self real cheap?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 6:32 pm 

I deal alor in making fiberglass patch panels. And making a "Cover" outta Carbon Fiber is not hard. http://www.USComposites.com (outta Florida USA) has both resin and multiple Carbon Fiber Weaves to choose from. Typically its 30-35 ($US) per yard. BUT its also 48-50 inches across. I deal alot with these people and they are really good. I ran outta hardener one time and they sent me a 10 OZ bottle of the MEKP free!.

As far as covering your existing part in C/F you just have to have alot of time and patience. You have to literally resin down almost inch by ich if the part has alot of curves. You want to start with the flatest part and resin that down. WAIT for the resin the dry/cure then move to the next major flat area. It typically take the 700 series Vynil ester resin about 24 hours to full cure, so your looking at a time consuming project.

I have seen kits out there for 250-UP ($US) but doing it this meathod you can buy 2 yards or less @ $70 and the resin for $15. You just get stuck waiting for the resin to dry.