F-Body Europe

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Carbon Fiber Questions
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:03 pm 
 YIM  Profile

Ok, everybody is going on this carbon fiber kick. I haven't done much research on the topic so please correct me If I'm wrong:
-Its stronger/more durable than fiberglass
-Its lighter than alumminum, metal, fiberglass, etc.

So, what are the things I'm missing here:

-How much stronger is it than the above?
-If you drilled into it, does it lose its integrity?
-And, is it worth the extra dollars opposed to fiberglass?

I'm thinking about reconsidering getting my Harwood hood mount and going carbon fiber hood and fenders plus a few other little projects and was curious if it was worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:04 am 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

Carbon fiber is made up of multiple on multiple layers and is built up in Formula 1 applications to afford maximum strength at the exact point it is needed so that the piece is as light as possible. However, as I understand it, it is only strong in certain planes and force applied in another way causes it to shatter (also ably demonstrated in Formula 1 contact where it tends to explode all over the circuit)

My guess is that there is no real science in the manufacture of "cheap" carbon fibre and it probably therefore has little advantage over fibreglass although the finish is likely to be better. I suppose the only way to find out is to weigh the respective panel counterparts to see what weight is saved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:49 pm 
 YIM  Profile

That makes sense I guess. It just seems like it is the best thing since sliced bread. I am just curious of its ups and downs. So, I guess for the time being I'll go ahead and get the Harwood mounted and see how I'm satisfied. I just don't want the ram to try and scoop too much air and bust the hood so that I 2 expensive pices of fiberglass that isn't woryh anything. But thank you for your help.