F-Body Europe

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Dozens of new Rim options for Fbodies
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:35 am 
Cool Newbie
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Hi all, I was looking around and doing some research and have found that 1999 and up BMW of the E46 chassis ....323, 325, 328, 330, x3 and x5 all have the same bolt patterns as 93-02 fbodies, close anyway but will work, they have a 5X120 and we use a 5X120.65, regardless they will fit. Offset is the key however, from what I have seen 37-44mm is the key for safety which would be for the fronts as i have a 56mm for my rear with the ZR1 offset. Correct me if Im wrong. You just cant mention they are going on an fbody or they wont talk to you..IE tirerack. but for our cars TR has 2 small pages of rims to chose from where as there are 99 rims to chose from for the bmw. ASA, BBS, good stuff. And the prices are unbelievable too. I figure since were in Europe we could probably get some better deals maybe on BMW rims, but havent looked into that. Has anyone else seen this? Or know some different figures? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:46 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

The bolt patterns are close, though one mechanic suggested getting special bolts which have a swivel kind top to them (haven't seen any) to correct the slightly crooked fit ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:53 am 
Headin' for a divorce

Let us know when you lose a wheel because you did this. And don't forget that we use hubcentic wheels .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:24 am 
Cool Newbie
 WWW  YIM  Profile

The differance between a hub centric and lug centric is hub centric the center bore hole of a wheel matches the hub diameter of the vehicle. This centers the wheel via the center hole rather than the lug nuts. And Lug Centric is when the wheel is centered by the bolt holes/ lug nuts of the wheel, rather than by the center bore. So if they are lug centric which the weight would be on the lugs use an adapter? Is that possible then to spread the weight evenly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:39 am 
Headin' for a divorce

Bmw wheels are also hubcentric. But have different size hubs. You will need a metal hub spacer. But don't forget the lug pattern is not exact. You will be bending the studs slightly as the lug nuts try to center inthe stud bores . They may or may not tighten all the way down. You could possibly lose a wheel. This ground has been traveled by some before and with disasterous results.
I recommend not doing it , but its up to you what you do . Tire Rack knows what they are doing and are protecting themselves from possible lawsuits. Same as with any other reputable tire shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:46 pm 

Roy is right I have heard a few horrer stories from people doing this. They are plenty of places that have fbody wheels. Check out http://www.ls1tech.com they have alot of sponcers on there that have wheels.

2000 WS6 RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:44 pm 
No Life

I'd avoid the BMW wheels too.

you can also shop for C4-C6 vette wheels to give you a little more varity. The Z06 replica wheels I have sell for ~$500/set now if you know where to look. Shipping was a little over $100 3 years ago.