F-Body Europe

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: The NX is competing at Pinks all Out (Video Added)
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:02 pm 

Long story short, I purchased tickets to compete at Pinks all out at Memphis Motorsports Park this weekend. I bought them from a Soldier that had to deploy downrange and the owner of MMP did a one time exception and allowed us to transfer the tickets over to my name and the NX.

I finally got the NX on the track this past weekend after it sat for 19 Months. I ended up installing a TH350 tranny in it with a Reverse Manual Valve Body and a Transbrake. I ended up putting a Hurst Pistol Grip shifter in it and you have to custom fab just about everything. I also had to put a new tranny cooler on it and install steel braided lines and fittings. Then I had to measure and order a new 3.5" aluminum drive shaft from PTC. It is a monster. I realized when I installed it that the driveshaft loop would no longer fit. Well, I fixed that with some spacers and alot of patience.

At the track the car ran pretty good on motor. When I spray it though it blew through the converter and went 6.83@103. The shift light stayed on the whole time and I just shifted it by feel. The next pass the converter still stalled way to high and it went 6.75@102. This is all 1/8th mile passes. A 6.75 is good for a 10.5X in the 1/4. I ended up calling my tranny shop and he told me that he had mistakenly sent me a 5200rpm stall. He worked with me and ended up overnighting me a 4200rpm stall that I have to install by Wednesday afternoon so I can head out to Memphis. I think with the new converter it will hit 6.6X and that is on the small shot. I still have two jet sizes to go up. I think I will go for it all and see if I can squeeze this pig into the 9s.

ONLY 450 car are entered and I think they will only pick 16 cars to be in the field. The payout is 10K though. The experience is going to be worth it. My whole family is coming out and my Dad is bringing his motor home and his golf car that has a mini 57 Chevy body on it.

I hope all of this made sense. Wish me luck.

Last edited by NXZ28 on Sun May 17, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The NX is competing at Pinks all Out in Memphis this weekend
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:28 pm 
Headin' for a divorce

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:46 pm 

Thanks Roy.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:01 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

good luck man...my baby bro just did pinks arm drop at atco...not sure how he did

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:09 am 
No Life

Sweet! I would love to do Pinks.....I would just have to make sure I wouldn't lose my car. No matter who I want to win....I always hurt for whoever loses their ride.

Black 01 6spd SS # 5971 - AFR, FAST, Nick Williams, SLP, Kooks, Borla, Kirban, Spec, Moser, BMR, Spohn

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:11 am 
No Life

So, the 2 strongest cars of the 16 pack compete for pinks AND 10k?

Black 01 6spd SS # 5971 - AFR, FAST, Nick Williams, SLP, Kooks, Borla, Kirban, Spec, Moser, BMR, Spohn

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:58 am 

so does it mean that if you loose the race, you allso loose the car ? :shock: :shock:
i'm not really familiar with that show

if you're not breaking parts , you are not making enough power
When in doubt, increase boost !

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:44 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

with pinks all out, you run your car as hard as it will go for all your races. They decide what time bracket will give the best show, IE you may run a 9 second pass, but that doesnt mean you will make the show. If the 13 second class has 10 cars in it that are only a 10th of a second part from each other, that will make a better show for them. You dont lose your ride in pinks all out either, you are just there to win money...which is cool

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:45 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

the other thing is, if you run 3 13 second passes, and make the show, then run a 9 second pass....you will be disqualified for not running ALL OUT

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:54 pm 

That is true. It is just a chance you take entering. I had nothing else going on this weekend where I might get to compete for 10K on National Television.

On another note, I have to leave tonight to drive to Memphis. The only problem is that the tranny is out of the car and waiting on a converter that is supposed to be here sometime today. It is going to be a long night for me. On top of that, I have to work.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:00 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

NXZ28 wrote:
That is true. It is just a chance you take entering. I had nothing else going on this weekend where I might get to compete for 10K on National Television.

On another note, I have to leave tonight to drive to Memphis. The only problem is that the tranny is out of the car and waiting on a converter that is supposed to be here sometime today. It is going to be a long night for me. On top of that, I have to work.

hope you have fun brother....BTW, my above posts were to answer Jeejee and chevroletfreak

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:42 pm 

hotrodredneck wrote:

hope you have fun brother....BTW, my above posts were to answer Jeejee and chevroletfreak

Thanks. I just hope this converter gets here sooner than later.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:55 pm 
No Life

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:41 am 
Cool Newbie
 YIM  Profile

good luck! let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:21 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

and the weekend is over........

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:21 pm 

I had a great time this weekend. My parents brought out the Motor Home and their 57 Chevy Golf Cart. My mom and dad got filmed by the Speed TV crew while riding around in the pits with it. Here is how my weekend went....

Get there on Thursday and unload everything. I pull the car off the trailer and I feel a vibration from under the car. Seeing that I just changed the torque converter the night before I figured I left something loose. I checked everything under the car and all seemed good. So I tell my Dad that I only have the 200hp pills in it and I have the 250hp pills ready to go and I wasn't sure if I should use them. He had a wrench in his hand to change them out before I could finish the sentence. So we lay out the 250hp pills which are 8 each .029 Nitrous and 8 each .016 fuel. Well, one of the fuel jets is missing. I asked almost everyone around the pits for a fuel jet but the smallest I could find was a .020. So we went ahead and changed out all the jets which is a PITA on a 4th Gen Fbody and a Direct Port. Then I changed all the plugs to NGK TR8s. I accidentally pulled the boot off of one of my Taylor 10.5mm plug wires. Once I had it all back together we were done for the night. They didn't race at all on Thursday.

On Friday I went through Tech at around 0930. It was so easy. The only thing he checked was to see if the battery hold down was tight. He didn't even look under the car. Then we pulled forward and they gave me a Driver's only Pinks all out T-Shirt and took a picture of me standing next to the car with the old Polaroid instant Camera. I haven't seen one of them in years. Then they took a pic with my Dad, my brother, and me standing next to the car. At around 2pm they allowed us to make a Test n Tune pass. My dad guides me into the burnout box, I set the line lock, and started the burnout. I pull second gear and release the line lock and the official signals for me to shut it down. I let off the gas and the car dies immediately. I guess the car that went down the track in front of me was smoking. Then they signal for me to proceed and I tried to do another burnout but the car just pushed the front tire. So I just pulled up and stage. When I launched the car just fell over on its face and was sputtering. It finally lit around 120 feet out and I ended up running a 11.44 @ 132.5. What was funny was that it seemed to be hitting the rev limiter before the shift light would come on.

So I took it back to the pits and decided to pull the 250hp shot out and put the 200hp back in. Then I checked all the wiring for the nitrous and even put a new bottle in it. I also changed the plugs back to the BR7's and checked the plug wire I had pulled the boot off with a multimeter. It was fine. The next pass I got was around 7:30pm. I did a good burnout. When I launched, same thing. Sputter, hit, sputter, hit, sputter, BAM. It finally lit and ran a 11.41 @ 130. I noticed that it was hitting the limiter again and I looked at the tach and it was a 6100rpm. I was going through the lights on the limiter. Then I hit the brakes at the end of the track and the car went left hard. I was in the left lane so this was not good. The rearend was moving from side to side so bad that I just about lost it. When I got back to the pits my left rear tire was flat. I must have ran over some debris. It had a small pin hole in the center of the tire. Well, it was past 9pm and all parts stores where closed. A guy came over that was actually from Memphis and told us about a 24 hour Autozone in the middle of town. He gave us directions and then asked if I had a gun and if I did I should take it. Me and my brother went to the Autozone and it was huge. I looked more like a Pep Boys. I ended up patching the slick from the inside. I could find anyone with a tube that size. Then I rewired the nitrous system.

Saturday morning I was talking to another guy with an LS1 Camaro and I told him about the rev limiter problem. He said he had HP Tuners with unlimited credits for my car and he would take a look at it for me. Well it turns out that if you do not hook up the speed sensor on the tranny the computer will pick it up and has a rev limiter set in it at 6100rpm. I don't have a speedometer now because I put a TH350 in it. He turned it up to 7100rpm and then looked at my fuel tables. I was running way rich down low so he leaned it out a little for me. Well, around 2pm it was time to do the arm drop passes with Rich Christansen. I did a good burnout and the car was running good. Rich pulled us to the line and he did the arm drop. I hit the throttle and it was doing the same thing. It finally lit about 120 feet and ran a 11.33 @ 133. This was on my 200hp shot.

I didn't get selected to be in the final 16 but ours friends next to us in the pits did. My dad, brother, and myself helped them out during the actual racing. They made all the way to the finals.

I had an awesome time this weekend even though the car wanted to act up. I thing the Nitrous Solenoid is going out. I am going to put new solenoids on it soon and take it back to the 1/4 mile. I think it will run a bottom 10 on the 200hp and a high 9 on the 250hp pills.

Sorry for the long post.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:42 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

hope you get all the bugs worked out man!!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:50 pm 

Well it's good that it wasn't anything major and it seems as though you had a good time overall. It would have been to hear that you were selected for the final 16 or something, but maybe next time. Do you have any videos or any pics from the events?

*Hopefully you'll find the bug and smash it.*

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:22 am 

I did have an awesome time. I just miss the days of pulling the car to the track, running 10s, and relaxing between runs. It seems to be alot of work now and the car still hasn't seen a decent time this year. The weekend prior to Pinks it ran a 6.75 in the 1/8th which is about a 10.50 in the 1/4. The nitrous system seemed to be working O.K. It did stumble just a little on the first pass but hit hard on the second one. The only thing I did between that race and Pinks was change the converter to a tighter one. I am putting new solenoids on it this weekend and should be able to test it next weekend. I am suprised it didn't hurt the motor when it was hitting the limiter on the spray but this engine will not die. I have thrown everything at it.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:52 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

let bruce run it on N02...bet he can get it to blow....lmao