F-Body Europe

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: back to life
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:53 pm 
Fast Newbie

Well after about 18 months of sitting engine-less, the IROC started and moved under its own power today.

I suppose a little back story is called for, basically December 09 the original engine spun a bearing rendering the vehicle driveable but not happy. After a teardown the main thrust bearing was found to be the culprit. I decided to bide my time and wait for an engine to eventually turn up in the junkyard or online at a low price, which never came. I then decided to sell the camaro and had actually found a buyer and we agreed on a price, but the money never exchanged hands and after about 6 weeks he decided he didn't want to get it. He had a 350 out of 94 k1500 that had basically the same problem my engine had (failed oil pump / scrapped bottom end), he also had a new crankshaft and bearings that he said I could have everything for the cost of towing the truck to the junkyard. So a friend and I tore the bottom end out and put in the crank and bearings. I then spent a few days staying late after work to put all the camaro accessories and trans onto the new engine. I took last week off to put it all into the car and Sunday while I was still waiting on one last part hooked a battery to it and it cranked without any binding or screaching (made me happy). Today I picked up the oil cooler delete put it on filled it with oil and coolant and cranked it for about 5 seconds and it started right up, to say the least I was pretty shocked, this was the first time I had done a job of this size and am very pleased with the results. I've done engine swaps on bimmers, but usually with in a few days of engine out engine in, never months to years later.

All together I have about $300 into the new engine (not counting the new clutch), of course if I had had the money I would have spent the $1500 for a shortblock from the states, but I'm still pleased with the end results.

cheers, Kenny.

Post subject: Re: back to life
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:48 am 
Headin' for a divorce

Glad to hear you are up and running.

Post subject: Re: back to life
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:11 pm 
Fast Newbie

Thanks, I felt pretty bad about selling it, I really wanted to see it through to the end, and really glad I did.