F-Body Europe

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Mercedes outhandles Z28
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:54 am 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

Ah well, it had to happen and the Bilstein springs, shocks and sway bars didn't help either. An E class coupe without any badges swooped up the mountain where I live so I took off after him and reeled him in a bit. First bend we took at 80-90 and I could feel that rear sway bar wanting to flick the car into oversteer (perhaps the std bar would have been better after all)at which point he started to pull away into the next bend which flicked the other way and has run-off water on it. We hit a straight and I started to reel him in again but not by much. We hammered off the next junction and into a series of off-camber bends and dips that spiral downhill and then up into a hairpin. About here, he started to hand me my azz as I tried to get the damn auto box to stop changing up by dumping it into 2nd while the ABS kept chattering in and the back end kept feeling like it wan't to leap into oversteer (difficult with cars coming the other way). I would have had a far better run with an M6 and may have to look out for one but fair play to Mercedes and their foolproof handling.
Naturally, I would like to believe this car was an AMG V8 but it probably wasn't so I can't even claim it. Never mind, in a straight line, I'd have beaten him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:21 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  Profile

They're expensive for a reason. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:41 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Don't mess with Mercedes, Beemers, Porsche in corners ... no use ... heck, my cheap, slow 316 compact would have probably beaten you there ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:05 am 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

I almost considered a change to a Skyline GTR but the insurance is a bit frightening on those. In fairness to the Z, on a dry day and on the same stretch, I have no trouble staying with and pushing Focuses (Foci?) or Mondeos which are supposed to be benchmark handlers although the power difference compensates greatly there where the Merc could probably cement his advantage to greater effect and even I concede his multi-link suspension is going to cope better than my "stick axle with springs" I know nothing about Mercs but I've just looked and now see it must be a CLK which come with 193hp in the 230k, 218 in the 320, 279 in the 430 and 347 in the AMG. I guess that there would be little point in having no badges if he didn't have something useful under the bonnet and this thing flew up the side of the mountain with consummate ease so I would guess it was packing at least the 430.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:24 am 
Needs a Job

Ahhh....finally a story to read. Better luck next time Lus. Can't win 'em all nice try though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:48 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  Profile

Upgrade to some 17s, and you will see a drastic improvement. I know I did. It also helps to have some of the best tires, though. :) I couldn't believe how much improvement I saw.

Last edited by JackZ28 on Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:48 pm 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

I bumped into Mr Mercedes again today. He does have badges and it's a CLK430 (phew). This time we were on the motorway and despite my best cajoling, he just wouldn't agree to be destroyed. Very frustrating but I'll claim that as a bye.

There was a Scooby at the lights this morning and he was the first car in the second lane, I was the second car in the inside lane. He got a clean take off and I had to boot it hard from about 4 lengths back as the car in front turned right. I suspect all he saw was a big Camaro accelerating at that familiar 45 degree angle. I was only going to the other side of the lights unfortunately or I'd have given him a good blast.

Bye.