F-Body Europe

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Street Meat Part Deux: SRZ Vs SL55 AMG!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:55 pm 
Needs a Job

Man 2 wkends in a row I get to mess w/ something special! Coming back from bitburg on A62 is the meeting ground for this episode. Doing 85 or so with the crew Mike (80Killer) & company. Minding my own busines I see some silver car approaching pretty fast. It blows by us and its a Merc w/ quad tips out back and sitting nice. The last time I let someone pass me like that I waited too long and I couldn't catch em. Well since Mike and crew knew the way home I decided to make a run for it.

He was a good 1/4 to a 1/2 mile up when I step on the gas in 5th and rolled out. Caught up w/ him and he slows down since he sees me coming up fast.....I slow down get in behind him and wait. He didn't budge so I made a move...not aggressive in the least but just enough to let him know I'm packin too. As I pass I look at it good and its pretty....I see SL55 on the left rear trunk and on the right AMG and lower gfx . I was like sweet finally some comp.
Well as I passed he decides to get in behind me I pull over again and let him pass and as he does he guns it and catchs me off guard. Drop to 3rd out of 5th and give chase uphill. He's a good 2 car lengths ahead but not pulling or me gaining, hit 4th around the bend @ terminal velocity and I guess since I'm just a measily ole american car I can't take turns at high speed. Man why do I always get the idots? :) We are literally hauling ass on the bahn w/ no cars in sight at around 140-145mph and I'm still 2 cars back. Hit 5th and he has some puff come out the pipes but he doesn't pull or nothing all the while doing 160+ around A62 and you guys know what that road is like. He's looking in the rear and I'm waving and smiling all the while. The SRZ is chilling and handling better the faster we go. He figured I'd back out in all the twisties little did he know I'm built for this! This goes on for a good 10-12 mns straight and by this time I don't know what speed we are at because I'm pegged on the speedo but the rpms are only reading 5500rpm and gosh darn it I've got 1200 rpm to go but I don't take it there I just stay behind him being a annoyance.

Well after ten mins or so she starts to get warm.....a little over 195 so I back off and he keeps on trucking I was hoping he'd slow down and exchange salutations but nope. Guess he figured I couldn't take any more in the turns and got scurred. Wasn't even the case. I should've passed his ass but I declined only because I like messing w/ their heads. It was a wicked run and I wish I had someone w/ me to at least witness it but I may have scared them in the process so it's just me and him w/ this encounter. Man I hope I get lucky again next wkend.................

I'm definetly getting a griffin Rad now so I won't have this problem again.

02' MY Z06, Cam, LT headers, X-pipe, Breathless CAI, Borla Stinger exh, RSD short shifter, Elite catch can, C6Z susp, CCW classic's 18x10 & 18x12...your normal everyday Z06.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:12 pm 
No Life

Sweet ass I would have rode with you.. If I can be in the car with Jessie doing 187mph down the bahn.. 165 would be nothing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:42 pm 
Needs a Job

Well I checked the specs on it. The SL55 AMG is powered by a super-potent 5.5-litre 24-valve V-8 developing a stirring 469 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque at 6,100 rpm. Underlining the potential of this power unit is its impressive 516 lb.-ft. of torque. According to Mercedes-Benz, the car will rocket to 100 km/h in just 4.7-seconds. It weighs 4300lbs too at a cost of 150K! Not bad for 15K 396. I got my moneys worth....bawahhhhh!!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:57 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Also, please note that most german cars are governed at 250km/h, not sure if that is true for this one, too ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:25 pm 
Needs a Job

I can assure you he wasn't governed. If that was the case I would've blown by him fairly easily once he hit the end zone. We just kept accelerating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:55 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

Nice story!!!

I havent had much chance for killing things in my Expedition, but have seen quite a few Porsches coming out around here. Including a few 911 Turbos...one was parked at my apartment complex right next to my truck on Friday.

Also seen a few Ferraris here, which I wouldnt have imagined considering the area.

Patrick

86 BMW 316-basic car, hey it was free!!!

97 Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition 4X4-Black-400W Eclipse Amp-12" Eclipse Sub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:35 pm 

What I found funny was you took off and my friend goes "get him Silas". And about 15 to 20 minutes later we catch up to as you are waiting at rest platz. And we were doing 90mph. We looked at the video of our races I did beat the Vette by merely inches. If I could of got off the line I would of got Ben, I was slowly running him down, By the way Ben were you using traction control at the track? I got to get you a copy of the runs John you smoked that Vette really bad. And you were getting faster with each run. You were easily in the mid to low 12s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:52 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  Profile

Nice job, John. Wish I could have been there! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:22 pm 
Needs a Job

I didn't know it was that long before you finally caught up. I had a chance to take a potty break and all. LOL! That's the best run I've had since I've been here.

The runs at bitburg were fun too. That vette is pretty impressive w/ a small cam 211/219 and LT4 ported heads and intake & headers. Balanced and blueprinted too so it's making decent power at least 370rwhp.

I honestly thought he'd give me a run for the money but that was his 1st time at drag so I didn't feel bad since that was like my 8th pass. The original owner got mid to low 12's w/ et streets @ 113mph as his best. Saw the time slips.....a whole bunch of em. The guy is real cool.
That last run I had bogged off the line bad because I was trying to launch @ 1500 to not spin the tires. He instantly got 2 cars on me but by the by the 1/8th I made that up and grinded 3rd like always he pulled on me some more but I still caught him and passed him in 3rd or 4th at the end of the 1/4 by a full car! All I know is my car has a killer 2nd gear. Evidence by the tape. If I can get third w/ no problems I just might squeeze a high 11 timeslip.

Took Silke on the last spin and her face was glued to the headrest. I killed 3rd on that run too. Time to swap out the Hurst pro for a Pro 5.0!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:31 pm 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

ZBLKHELLRZR wrote:
and grinded 3rd like always. If I can get third w/ no problems I just might squeeze a high 11 timeslip.

Took Silke on the last spin and her face was glued to the headrest. I killed 3rd on that run too. Time to swap out the Hurst pro for a Pro 5.0!

Have you replaced your slave cylinder or modified it? The reason that you grind 3rd could be because the return port on the cylinder is to small to allow all of the fluid out by the time you grab 3rd. You could drill it out oversize and avoid any more problems before spending a bunch of $ on stuff that won't help. This mod should make your clutch live longer too :wink:

http://members.cardomain.com/dumaisk
http://community.webshots.com/album/113580439DwJndn/0
Yes, I'm a caraholic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:40 pm 
Needs a Job

Yeah I drilled it out. I've got the Mcleod setup ST clutch. It's not that trust me. I had my B&M in there before and never missed 3rd. I just like the way the hurst felt in a friends car but it was in a LS1 and apparently there was a difference in feeling because mine is very notchy and you have to force it in there like you stole it. Perfect for road racing but not suitable for 1/4 or speed shifting. I'll just have two and change em' out for different occasions.

I may have a starter for you. It's a Torque Ministarter. It was a spare of mine that I gave to a friend who can't use it. I have to check the status of it though because it had a faulty wire. If it's still good it yours free of charge since I can't guarantee how long it'll last but it's only a yr old in use.

Mike....it looks like I'm gonna have my hands full when that clutch gets in and you slap the SC on. I'm looking forward to runnining ya again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:01 am 
Needs a Job
 ICQ  Profile

80killer wrote:
If I could of got off the line I would of got Ben, I was slowly running him down, By the way Ben were you using traction control at the track?

No, I have traction control switched off. Otherwise I would have lost a lot of time on the 1-2 shift (and maybe 2-3 shift).
Too bad that I was sleeping at the line when racing against the Corvette. OK, I would have lost anyway but... :?

BTW, talking about fast cars:
At the Nuerburgring (was there on Sunday) there's a Porsche 911 with about 600hp running down virtually everything. He wouldn't do bad in the 1/4 mile, too, I guess... :D

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:44 am 

ZBLKHELLRZR wrote:
at a cost of 150K! Not bad for 15K 396. I got my moneys worth....bawahhhhh!!!! :)

He is probably looking for a buyer right now so that he can get into one of those fast Camaro's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:45 am 

Then Ben you got a nice hole shot. I got mine down finally when I got to race the vette. But I will be looking for you on the 11th. I will have the SC on there by then. I am going to put it on this weekend. I will keep you posted John. My car needs slicks bad I should be able to launch more than 1200 rpms. I have no traction at all I am wat to light.