F-Body Europe

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Nurburgring - No brakes?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:16 pm 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

I've been thinking a lot lately...especially since I saw this beast up and close in personal last week:

Is it possible to run the 'ring without hitting the brakes once?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:47 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Hm ... sure, why not, but you will probably be passed by everything ... ;)

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:20 am 
Headin' for a divorce

Garry wrote:

That was my thinking exactly.
On another note who put the right front rotor on the Z06. That looks like a left to me , unless it is non directional. :shock: Can't be good for cooling that right front brake :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:21 am 
No Life

from everything I've heard on the Z06, chevy really dropped the ball on the brakes. The pads suck and the rotors are crap. To make it worse, those calipers use an odd shaped pad and there are not any aftermarket replacements available yet. I guess GM has some kind of contract with PBR but they would have been better off fitting the car with some type of aftermarket caliper (Brembo, Wilwood, AP Racing) from the factory and avoiding these problems

http://z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92660
Quote:
The stock pads are terrible. The brake pad material is a Ferodo DS2500 that is the dirtiest pad I have ever owned including race pads. In addition, the pad taper is extreme not only from top to bottom, but leading edge to trailing. And to top that, the outside pads wear at a different rate than the inside pads, (which is not that uncommon) but the pad to pad wear is different as well. Here are some pics I just took, which show the top, outside pad on the left hand side that has "correct" rotors. The top to bottom taper is almost 2mm, and the leading to trailing edge taper is about .5mm. Note the rediculous "U" shaped insulator on the back that does not even cover the entire piston surface! Am am sorry, I think the car is the best I have ever driven, but these brakes, at least with these pads, and backwards rotors on the RH side are total junk!

BTW Roy, the rotors are directional, they did the same thing on the C6 Z51. Some of those guys are back-dating their brakes and using the C5 setup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:49 am 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

1 more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:51 am 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

Roy wrote:
Garry wrote:

That was my thinking exactly.

It came to me in discussion with someone else that it's a learning process to learn a track. Start without brakes and work your way up from there. I was thinking back to that track school that uses those Alfa 155's that are slow as crap. Is that what they're doing?

(Side note: I was looking at one of them the last time I went, apparently this one wasn't equipped with any rear brakes? WTF?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:19 pm 
No Life

Wierd I use the Ferodo DS2500 and they work great.

2013 Focus ST250 in the USA
1st car 77 Camaro Type Lt 5.0 auto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:26 pm 
Headin' for a divorce

Lancer033 wrote:

BTW Roy, the rotors are directional, they did the same thing on the C6 Z51. Some of those guys are back-dating their brakes and using the C5 setup

So it is sporting two left front rotors :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:27 pm 
Needs a Job
 ICQ  Profile

TurboManiacal wrote:
It came to me in discussion with someone else that it's a learning process to learn a track. Start without brakes and work your way up from there.

My learning process went like this:

Using the brakes too often (not knowing exactly the course), then using the brakes rarely, then using the brakes more again as I was getting faster.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:59 pm 
No Life

Roy wrote:
Lancer033 wrote:

So it is sporting two left front rotors :shock:

YEP and 2 left rear rotors.

both the Z51 and Z06. surf around the corvette forums and everyone is either complaining about it or laughing at the guys complaining about it. GM says that their testing showed no change in brake temps, but the guys that have tried to track the car with the factory rotors are wearing down the right side pads faster than the left side, so they've got to be hotter.

This is what my #1 complaint with GM. They've got great engineers and designers, but before the cars are manufactured, the bean counters get in there and figure out ways to cut costs and and we get stuck with these stupid little problems that GM won't even admit are problems.

The column lock issue on the C5 took 5 years before GM would even admit to it being a problem and their recall does not even fix the problem on the 6-speed cars. The rocking seat issue is still not addressed by the factory, and there are 2 or 3 other very common, minor issues that should be easy fixes for. You can't tell me that the same company that developed the LSx engines can't build a column locking mechanism that doesn't leave 1/10 cars stranded in a garage or parking lot.

FWIW, LGM is selling a StopTech Front brake kit with the same caliper they use on the WC car for the C6Z already. Considering that a set of brake pads for the car is close to $700 (20 individual pads) The cost of a real caliper is probably worth it just on pad savings alone.