F-Body Europe

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Can I buy DR's locally??
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:49 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Does anyone know if I can buy drag radials locally here in the K-town area? I got an itch to drag in a few weeks. I may be outa luck and have to go for it on street tires at Bitburg.
Don't want slicks (don't wanna c-clip eliminate!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:10 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I doubt it. I think they would be illegal in Germany. You can try discount tire and order them on-line.

Jeff

P.S Go Nitto!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:34 pm 
 WWW  Profile

you think I could get'em before the 10th?? I went to that site and saw a set of 255/50/16's by Nitto.

Are they worth it ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:33 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I love mine. Just heat em a little and the hook like a $5 whore. Ask Rob, he likes them also.

As for you getting them by the 10th it will be close you might want to call them and ask. Since you are going dragging, I would see what you can do with your suspension to take advantage of them. Do you have adj, shocks?

Jeff

89 Dodge caravan turbo project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:50 pm 
 WWW  Profile

This may be a lost cause for me this go round. My car is set up for auto-x solely. There's nothing about my car that says "drag me"
Yeah my Tokicos are the Illumina 5 way adjustables with Steeda lowering springs. The f****r handles like a Lotus on steroids but if I gas it too much, I'm gonna get sideways with a violent display of fishtailing. Maybe I should just concede to "The Hawk" and others like him, and save my money for a panhard bar and torque arm set up.

Sorry I got to ramblin' but I'm new at the drag scene. Never knew it was so fun. Most of the fun is the B.S'ng in the stagin' lanes.

I want to be competitive but it looks as though it may cost some serious jack to redo my suspension and buy dr's to get my 450hp to the ground effectively.
Maybe I'll just go to Bitburg and shred up my Michelin Pilot Sports at 320.00 a pop!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:03 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Man its too easy! Let me help you out. Those shocks are good for dragging. I assume you have aftermarket upper and lower control arms right? If you have those then all you need are springs. I know stock mustang v6 or GT springs are easy and cheap to come by. You can get them used.

I think(I dont know what exactly you nave for suspension) it would be cheap also to convert you.

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:19 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
This may be a lost cause for me this go round. My car is set up for auto-x solely. There's nothing about my car that says "drag me"
Yeah my Tokicos are the Illumina 5 way adjustables with Steeda lowering springs. The f****r handles like a Lotus on steroids but if I gas it too much, I'm gonna get sideways with a violent display of fishtailing. Maybe I should just concede to "The Hawk" and others like him, and save my money for a panhard bar and torque arm set up.

Sorry I got to ramblin' but I'm new at the drag scene. Never knew it was so fun. Most of the fun is the B.S'ng in the stagin' lanes.

I want to be competitive but it looks as though it may cost some serious jack to redo my suspension and buy dr's to get my 450hp to the ground effectively.
Maybe I'll just go to Bitburg and shred up my Michelin Pilot Sports at 320.00 a pop!!

CK you've got a really great car, I like it as it is.
Just drive it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

It is fun win or loose. Maybe I could miss a gear for ya. Or maybe we could play can the Hawk catch a Snake. What size you looking for I have a new set of 275 40 17 BF Goodrich R1 very sticky but are actually a road race tire. I am getting ready to mount them so I need to know. I got them on sale 69 a piece and 15 to ship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:55 am 
Headin' for a divorce

CK
I use to be a former mustang owner . The biggest problem I had was the Limited slip was always crap and the car aways pulled the right rear wheel into the wheel well. The cure for me was one airbag in the right rear coil spring and SSM Lift bars and stretch the S spring in the diff for more PSI on the clutch plates and sticky tires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:17 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
Man its too easy! Let me help you out. Those shocks are good for dragging. I assume you have aftermarket upper and lower control arms right? If you have those then all you need are springs. I know stock mustang v6 or GT springs are easy and cheap to come by. You can get them used.

I think(I dont know what exactly you nave for suspension) it would be cheap also to convert you.

Jeff

I have the Steeda lowering springs, tubular front swaybar, Tokico Ilumina 5way adjustable shocks, Steeda aluminum lower control arms, factory upper control arms, 3.73 gears, Steeda X2 ball joints to correct roll center in front and some Steeda caster camber plates.

I just went out and checked my setting on my rear shocks. They were set on position #2 I moved them to #1 (the loosest setting). That's what I want right? Loose out back? so it sinks down when you gas it? Should I loosen up the fronts to better enable the weight transfer?
And the slippin' the clutch thing.... I guess that takes some practice. I suck at it right now.

Squirrelina .. where did you see my car? Have we met? I do remember your toyota last year. Thanks for the vote! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:27 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
It is fun win or loose. Maybe I could miss a gear for ya. Or maybe we could play can the Hawk catch a Snake. What size you looking for I have a new set of 275 40 17 BF Goodrich R1 very sticky but are actually a road race tire. I am getting ready to mount them so I need to know. I got them on sale 69 a piece and 15 to ship.

Dude, I'll be on street tires and an auto-x suspension. You wouldn't get any sense of accomplishment out of a lame win like that would ya? How bout some in gear trials? say a 50 to 140 mph blast?? that way I don't have any traction off the line issues. It's just motor to motor then ain't it? You game? ;)
Anybody got a helmut I can borrow?????

I just confirmed a sitter for my girl for Saturday @ Bitburg. So I'll be there street tires and all. But only for the grudge no 1/8 mile bracket crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:32 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
CK
I use to be a former mustang owner . The biggest problem I had was the Limited slip was always crap and the car aways pulled the right rear wheel into the wheel well. The cure for me was one airbag in the right rear coil spring and SSM Lift bars and stretch the S spring in the diff for more PSI on the clutch plates and sticky tires.

So you crossed over huh? well you set your Crumaro up nicely so I'll leave it alone. Say, do you think I'd get the same benefits you got from the airbag on the right by just turning up the shock stiffness a little?? I don't seem to be doin the one wheel peel yet. I've romped on it pretty good too. I've also heard of replacing that diff spring with one from a ranger's 8.8. Any thoughts?
Are you gonna be at Sembach on Sunday? we could hook up for a few and discuss some sh**.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 6:36 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
What size you looking for I have a new set of 275 40 17 BF Goodrich R1 very sticky but are actually a road race tire.

My rims are 18X9 and I wear 275/35's front and back. But thanks for the offer. I'd obviously have to get another set of rims. So many mods ...so little money.
Are you wearin' those for the auto-x?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 7:01 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
CK

So you crossed over huh? well you set your Crumaro up nicely so I'll leave it alone. Say, do you think I'd get the same benefits you got from the airbag on the right by just turning up the shock stiffness a little?? I don't seem to be doin the one wheel peel yet. I've romped on it pretty good too. I've also heard of replacing that diff spring with one from a ranger's 8.8. Any thoughts?
Are you gonna be at Sembach on Sunday? we could hook up for a few and discuss some sh**.

The 8.8 isnt gonna give it up so easy. There are hundreds of 9sec cars running stock 8.8 (31spline axles excepted) and a couple 180mph silver state cars running what uncle henry gave 'em. You can add some plates in the diff in place of the driven disc to make it lock a little better as well.

As far as the rear shocks, you want them as stiff as the track has bite. The front should kick up evenly (hence the airbag in the right rear) then settle immediatelly but you dont want your power wasted by twisting the rear end up into the car. You will probably launch decent, but after the first hit the car will rebound forward transfering weight to the front of the car, rear looses traction, you become a smoke generator.

I say throw some stickies on there and go for it. You have some saving graces. 1. those 18" wheels will take some of your gear away 2. Your making mucho power up high, not so much down low, so launch at 1-1.5k as opposed to the drag cobras that launch at 6-6.5k. Pedal that thing out the hole, and dont worry about they're jump, cuz you will have the legs to run them down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

How bout some in gear trials? say a 50 to 140 mph blast?? that way I don't have any traction off the line issues. It's just motor to motor then ain't it? You game? ;)

You are on!!! Do you wanna put some bones on it. 50-140 I will let you start it if yo want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:58 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
You are on!!! Do you wanna put some bones on it. 50-140 I will let you start it if yo want.

No man !! no money. There ain't no way in hell I could get that through the War Department!!
How bout displacement goes first, since you are carryin' around that extra cast iron. 5.7L (maybe) versus my puny little ol' 4.6 L . You know of a stretch of Autobahn ...safe?? wouldn't be fair for a lil' 4.6 to be cuttin a trail for a monster like you Hawk. I know all about drafting, and my rear spoiler would almost give you a vacuum to run in!! LOL maybe we just keep it on tha track and not endanger lives?? You're a trip Hawk.

Last edited by ChickenKiller on Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 9:09 pm 
 WWW  Profile

[quote
The 8.8 isnt gonna give it up so easy. There are hundreds of 9sec cars running stock 8.8 (31spline axles excepted) and a couple 180mph silver state cars running what uncle henry gave 'em. You can add some plates in the diff in place of the driven disc to make it lock a little better as well.

As far as the rear shocks, you want them as stiff as the track has bite. The front should kick up evenly (hence the airbag in the right rear) then settle immediatelly but you dont want your power wasted by twisting the rear end up into the car. You will probably launch decent, but after the first hit the car will rebound forward transfering weight to the front of the car, rear looses traction, you become a smoke generator.

I say throw some stickies on there and go for it. You have some saving graces. 1. those 18" wheels will take some of your gear away 2. Your making mucho power up high, not so much down low, so launch at 1-1.5k as opposed to the drag cobras that launch at 6-6.5k. Pedal that thing out the hole, and dont worry about they're jump, cuz you will have the legs to run them down.[/quote]

I will not be able to get any sticky feet before next weekend. I procrastinated too much.
What day you gonna be up there ?? I have arrangments made to go Saturday. Would like to hook up with some of you guys. Maybe we could convoy?? smaller displacement will bring up the rear of course. ;)

I am free for travel after 07:30 saturday.

will they let me practice a little before the grudge?
Grudge both days right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 8:07 am 
Site Admin

That road to Bitburg is pretty clear I am not talking a road race I am talking .5 mile on a clear strait piece of road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 9:24 am 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
Squirrelina .. where did you see my car? Have we met? I do remember your toyota last year. Thanks for the vote! :)

CK as said before, was too busy to remember the people,
but I recognize a nice car... and think I have seen it on Ramstein AB, but then it was very possible that I was driving a dark blue Scorpio or a yellow VW Pickup or any other...
Was looking at a new red Mustang last sommer at Vogelweh, visited 'my' car at least once a week, if they would sell to LNs I'd drive it now... was almost crying as it was gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 4:58 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
That road to Bitburg is pretty clear I am not talking a road race I am talking .5 mile on a clear strait piece of road.

That's what I'm talkin about too. Maybe we'll get a chance to do that. I plan on tryin' the drag thing again. I loosened up my shocks last night and today I noticed my rear sinks some when I get on it. Maybe the Snake will have a better bite this year on me Michelins!

It'll be fun though regardless of who wins what.

Stop by and see me when you get your car running Squirrel. I'm @ the Auto Skills Center on the mechanics side.... not the self help side. my name is Dave Wolfe ........and I am an alcoholic... j/k ;)

Last edited by ChickenKiller on Wed May 01, 2002 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.