F-Body Europe

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Street legal with NOS ?
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 4:27 pm 
Fast Newbie

As the osl newsgroups don´t work (for me ?):

I´m a bit confused about the OSL-rules. The technical requirements say: Vehicle Must be street legal car, truck, or motorcycle, currently registered for street use.

In the same context you can read about NOS-kits...

Maybe i´m totaly wrong but i think you can´t drive street-legal with a NOS-kit in germany...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

My understanding is they are playing by US Laws IAW NHRA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 11:24 pm 
Fast Newbie

Great. If a would be able to afford a nos-system i wouldn´t be able to drive to the race (if the cops get me i´m a gonna).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 6:59 am 
Site Admin

Hide it and disconnect the bottle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 7:40 am 

Some how I doubt that you get pulled over everyday and your car searched for nitrous systems!?!?!?! It is all part of being a car guy/girl, you have to make choices on what you are willing to risk. Most of our cars have or will have illegal parts at some point of their build-ups. All of the people that gut or remove their cats is illegal in almost all states in the USA, but people still do it. If you do not want to risk it then don't get the nitrous. It's pretty simple. Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 9:02 am 
Fast Newbie

Got it. If you can´t stand the fire stay outa the kitchen...

BTW: They took my TA outa business a few years ago "because it was too loud". Just stopped me and measured the noise emission with a small handy-thing. I had the choice: New exhaust and new testing or shredding the licence-plates within two weeks...

N/berg cops are known for being especially rough to german us-car and us-bike drivers. Ask some of the Harley guys...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 9:50 am 

You should be able to hide the nitrous system pretty good though. Unless they know what they are looking for? Just be sneaky about it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 2:28 pm 
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Hello guys .Executer you can have Nitro in your car thats alout in germany i ask the tuev guys and a man from the police .They said you can have it in the car or bike but the bootle need to be empty when you drive it on the street.But you can have it in there.Three friends from me have NOS Sytems in their cars.And the police already checked their cars a lot of times.And its ok.And they have full bottles they just but the gauge to the other side on their so you can not read it from the top.And the police can do nothing.

Michael

Post subject: Great
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 3:31 pm 
Fast Newbie

Now i have something to collect my coins for...

Anyone of you tried the nos-system that´s clipped in the airfilter ?

If i put the injector under the tbi-unit the whole thing would sacrifice the hood-clearance too much (tbi-spacer will get installed soon - ChrisV6, bring that damn screws)

BTW: Don´t hit me but check my post in street racing, i really need some tips, as i said: I´m a rookie, but try hard !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 10:30 pm 
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Hi Executer you still mess up my Name .You get the screws from me ChevyV6 not ChrisV6 thats somebody else.Like i am saying im checking for the screws real hard.Or is anybody out there who got some screws left for a tbis spacer to put it on executers camaro.

Michaek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 2:26 pm 
Fast Newbie

You´re complete right. I´m all messed up...

Take your time with the screws. I´ll be on holiday 1-14 June, so i´m not in a hurry. If you can´t get them i´ll look by myself, shouldn´t kill my budget...

BTW: I´m very surprised about the nos-thing, was the tuev-opinion official ? I´d love that extra-kick without completely rebuilding the engine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 12:01 am 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Dear friends, are you're talking some illegal s**t here?
Michael I am a little disappointed in you suggesting to hide it.
Fact is, if he get's caught driving with NOS (hidden) on the streets, he will get in trouble.
Rule is: Whatever is on the car, got to have TÃœV approval to be legal.
That applies to a simple Rim as well as to NOS Systems.
I am trying right now to find out the truth.
(So far I was told by one person it is illegal, by another it is legal.)
What worries me personally is not the liquified Nitrogen Oxide, but the danger of a compressed bottle in the car.
So I would want to have the hole installation TÃœV approved and tested for sure, last not least to be covered in an accident.
Besides that - if it is not allowed regularely, it is not allowed at the OSL, because then the car would not be Street legal no more. That is how I interpret the rule.
In future the Inspections will have to be more strict about the safety issue.
BTW: Definition Street Legal
Sorry to say that: For Germans the German TÃœV applies,
for US: yearly US car inspection applies
whatever it takes to get the license plates.
The car is supposed to meet this requirements during the race also, not putting something on before and taking it off afterwards.
Which means: US can do a lot more than Germans can
and are a quarter mile ahead with mods only. :)
Nobody said life has to be fair!
View the challenge to have a fast AND street legal car!
Keep your drivers license!
Beat US mods with stock car and german driving skills. :P
(Last part is to tease Hawk... ;) I just love to do that)

Last edited by Squirrelina on Mon May 27, 2002 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:17 am 
Site Admin

I think you should talk to Tony!!! Cause that is not what he told me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:48 am 

where did you get your info? Nitrous (not NOS) is legal everywhere.. there are a couple of states that require you to put stickers on your car, but bottom line all N20 does is push more air into your engine. If that is bad, then i guess superchargers and turbochargers are illegal on street cars?

I have a Z with 75hp hit, and a 5.0 with a 75hp hit. My boss is a city cop on the side and said that there isnt even a law concerning N20 (atleast in the state of Oklahoma)

When your talking drag racing, I can index you out of this world with N20, so driver skill is one thing, droping 1sec or more is another.

Got juice?

1994 Z28 fast getting faster, politically incorrect
2001 cobra #1450 of 3867 Born on 06/07/01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 9:00 am 
Site Admin

[quote]where did you get your info? Nitrous (not NOS) They all watched fast and furious!!! FWIW I know it as Nitrous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 10:34 am 
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Hi Sqirre like im saying NOS is streetlegal in germany i was at the DEKRA and TUEV Germany Place and ask them guys.When the stuff is correctly installed.There is no problem with nos.Like i am saying 4friends of me have NOS in their cars.And all off them have no problems at the TUEV or at POLICE Controls.So im not talking bullshit its really street legal.And for bracket thats right it dont help.But at grudge races you can give your car a shoot.So i think it should be ok for OSL.Because it is aloud in germany.

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 11:39 am 
Fast Newbie

Squirrel:

>>Fact is, if he get's caught driving with NOS (hidden) on the streets, his license will be gone.

Your right, but as Michael said: If the bottle is empty or disconnected while the police checks me it should be fine, except the cops will rip me into pieces, because i´m a racer-guy and they´ll be much more "sensitive" to find something they can complain about.

I asked a friend working at the ADAC (like your AAA), he said it´s true: A NOS-Shot is whithout a bottle nothing more than a small plate between carb and engine, nothing wrong with that...

>>Besides that, it won't do you any good in autoX

For AutoX i´d better drive my Volvo - that´s a better suspension by far... The Camaro is for accelerating on a straight road or cruising tops down...

>>and the trophy in Bitburg is for the Bracket - so it does not really matter what the top-speed of the car is as long we are having fun.
If you know your car good enough you will still have a chance to win...

I agree...

>>so why play the high risk for something not really worth it?

´cause its all for the (straight) go, modding is fun and if it doesn´t cost a fortune it´s even more fun...

>>The car is supposed to meet this requirements during the race also, not putting something on before and taking it off afterwards.

That´s a problem. But if that´s true, slicks shouldn´t be allowed also...

>>Nobody said life has to be fair!
View the challenge to have a fast AND street legal car!

That´s very easy to accomplish: Sell the Camaro and buy an old 928S4. But i like the t-tops...

>>where did you get your info? Nitrous (not NOS) is legal everywhere.. there are a couple of states that require you to put stickers on your car, but bottom line all N20 does is push more air into your engine. If that is bad, then i guess superchargers and turbochargers are illegal on street cars?

Help me out here: I used "NOS" as street slang for a Nitrous fogger, injector, whatever. The company NOS is only one of the companies that builds the things were talking about, ok ? And i think it doesn´t add more air, it changes the mixture of the air/fuel and changes the power of the combustion that way.

>Hawk>where did you get your info? Nitrous (not NOS) They all watched fast and furious!!!

Yeah, "He said doin the nasty" it. Never seen a "He said POOP" like this. As fast and furious fan you have to: Spend all your money for large wheels, suspension kits, lots of fluorescent lamps, expensive painting, a wing the size of a ironing-board, lots of NOS-Buttons and Stickers and you have to clean your Jetta <g> once a day...

Everybody who know´s my camaro know´s i HATE IT !

>ChevyV6>But at grudge races you can give your car a shoot.So i think it should be ok for OSL.Because it is aloud in germany.

If Squirrel is right, you´re wrong. Looks like driving around with a filled bottle and giving a shot is NOT allowed in germany... So maybe it´s not allowed in OSL-Racings... Who knows that for sure ? Some OSL guys around ??

BTW: Till now for me it´s all about having fun on weekends, cruising around with my little girl, and sometimes drifting around corners and kicking my friends with the Toyotas and Mazdas just for fun... I won´t risk my papers and won´t spend lots of money for anything. But i smelled blood and if i can change my sofa to a beast for cheap money...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 12:01 pm 
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Hi Squirre i think we are talking about Nitrous System.50,100,150 or 500:-wtf:Horses shoots.Ok and like i am saying i ask the Dekra and the TUEV Germany guys.And they said as long as the system is correctly installed and the botlle empty when you drive it on the street it is ok.But we need to be careful.Because in germany everybody say something else.Maybe that man in hockenheim the Tuev say ok that exhaust system is ok and in K-Town a other man at the Tuev say no thats illegal.Thats the problem in germany.Maybe in hockenheim they say ok is legal and somewhere else its illegal.Thats germany nowbody now what the other man is doing and what is aloud and what not.

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 12:47 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
...i ask the Dekra and the TUEV Germany guys.And they said as long as the system is correctly installed and the botlle empty when you drive it on the street it is ok.But we need to be careful...Michael

That is what I want to find out:
Correct installation / TÃœV / Rules.
If I got that answer, we know what is possible to do!
OK?
For sure illegal is have it hidden and/or not correctly installed and mounted to the chassis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 5:54 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Update:
I talked to Silvio Strauch today, he is NOS importer
for Germany and owns the Firm

NOS - Nitrous Oxide Systems, Inc. - Germany
Olbersorfer Straße 10
D-02763 Bertsdorf
03583/696069
service@engineghost.de

also check: http://www.engineghost.de/frameset.html
there is the technical part explained in german.
On his webside already he states that
NOS Kits are NOT legal on public roads.

He has all parts and knowledge for installation, but there is no general 'TÃœV-Abnahme'. He is building it for racecars (on trailer to the track) and of course never heard of OSL or racing street legal cars before.
He did not say he would not install for whoever wants it,
(he of course wants the money) but he stated it is to everybodys own risk - or trying to get the installation trough TÃœV.
But whichever way you go, to drive on public road with connected bottle is NOT legal. (nor germans or americans!)
He suggests to NOT have a bottle at all on the Public Street to be on the save side, not a full and not an empty one.
In case you have to transport one to the race, have all parts disconnected (that you need mechanically have to install it at the racetrack with tools) and a 'Blindkappe' (security cap or whatever you would call it) on the bottle -so it is visible (also to the police) right away that it is not connected. And of course it got to be mounted to the chassis correctly.
He said that this is a grey zone.

Also my informations I got so far say that it is not allowed in the states to drive with a bottle in the car,
and USAREUR is not allowing it either.

However, Tony said that it is legal for OSL.
And there is my personal problem: Why is it legal for OSL when the bottle is not street legal. My interpretation must go downhill.

If I find out some more information, I will share it.
If I find a helping TÃœV guy, I will let you know. :)

Edited: (more links)
http://www.robs-garage.ch/Lachgas/lachgas.html
Some more information and experience...

Last edited by Squirrelina on Tue May 28, 2002 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.