F-Body Europe

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

Bottom line Gearheads mod cars if it makes it quicker it will be tried and done. As far as legal street racing have not heard of a place yet but I will bet a soda they are using NITROUS on them street cars on Public roads. Wonder how I know that???? Nitrous is not explosive it is a kewl oxidizer the hold more fuel. If ya cant hang with the big dogs sit on the porche or go find a basset hound to beat up.
living on the edge of the rules is in the gearhead dictionary along with sandbaging Turbos, strokers, blowers and Nitrous. Power adders all do the same thing it is just the way it happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 10:53 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Hawk what are you trying to tell?
That it is ok to hide the bottle in the car?
And hope not to get caught?

I try to find a honest and legal solution to the problem,
and just the hint to hide it or to do it anyway is not the direction where I want to go.

Since we can use it at the OSL, there is no need to proof something on the public road, is there? I am satisfied when I get a timing slip with the 'can-do', I do not need to proof anything anywhere else.

And I just don't want anybody to get into trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:51 am 
Site Admin

Blah blah blah. I am such a smart a$$

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 9:51 am 
Fast Newbie

I called TÜV Nürnberg yesterday. Fact for us krauts is:

- You can install anything you want but if it modifies anything functional (wheels, drivetrain, brakes, suspension, enginestuff, exhaust, windshield, seats, steering wheel, dashboard, head- break-lights, undercar-lights, etc.) you have to get it tested and registered (general approval is fine for some parts, better ask). Test and registration fees depend, if more than approx. 20% power is added you need a full-acceptance (like registering a complete new invented car - forget it).

- Pure optical stuff like Stickers (not harming view), paint, spoilers (while not harming pedestrians with sharp edged, etc), stereos are fine (hooraayyy).

- For cars with catalytic converter: If there is interference with the emission-system (intake, carb or inj, ignit, exhaust) and new parts have no general approval: Complete individual emission test necessary (approx. 1500 Euro)
-> Means u can´t install a tbi-spacer, k&n airfilter or scoop / tunnel ram (i´d have loved it...)

For nitrous: As Amy <g> mentioned, a deaktivated nos-kit is kinda gray area but if it is attached correct there should be no prob, get approval from tuev for the installation. A aktive kit is illegal until you get full-acceptance (no way).

So much for the official stuff...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 10:35 am 
Fast Newbie

Hawk, i aggree:

Most guys and girls around here are inoculated adults that are at least partly sane...

Ok, we can argue about the last one but they know what they do... :P

But good to know somebody cares...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 10:48 am 
Headin' for a divorce

If you are packing NOS ,wouldn't you need a 30cm X30cm orange sticker with the oxidizer symbol and a liceense to carry a compressed cylinder. Plus carry the material safety data sheet when on public roads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
If you are packing NOS ,wouldn't you need a 30cm X30cm orange sticker with the oxidizer symbol and a liceense to carry a compressed cylinder. Plus carry the material safety data sheet when on public roads.

Roy that would effect peeking out the window. I Believe that is why they stamp the Bottle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 5:57 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
Quote:

Roy that would effect peeking out the window. I Believe that is why they stamp the Bottle

Roy is right:
Just the orange colored plate would be with
hazard identification number (25) on top
and UN number (1070) on bottom.
The labels would be green with the gas cylinder
(2.2 compressed gas)
and yellow with the oxidizing symbol
(5.1 oxidizing substance)

The stamps on the bottle apply only to the bottle itself, every one has an individual series number and some code: pressure allowed/metal thickness/expiration date etc. - Make sure if you have a bottle it will get tested on a regular basis and have the stamp put on. (like testing of fire extinguishers)

Last edited by Squirrelina on Wed May 29, 2002 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Roy is right:
Just the orange colored plate would be with
hazard identification number (25) on top
and UN number (1070) on bottom.
The labels would be green with the gas cylinder
(2.2 compressed gas)
and yellow with the oxidizing symbol
(5.1 oxidizing substance)

The stamps on the bottle apply only to the bottle itself, every one has an individual series number and some code: pressure allowed/metal thickness/expiration date etc. - Make sure if you have a bottle it will get tested on a regular basis and have the stamp put on. (like testing of fire extinguishers)

Stop the madness I do not plan to advertise that the Hawk shoots up on some VENOM Making it a VENOM HAWK and or KILLER HAWK. LOL

Last edited by Hawk on Wed May 29, 2002 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:33 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Killer Hawk sounds good to me! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:37 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

BTW: I forgot to mention, that this gas used as narcotica is therefore falling under the drug law also...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
BTW: I forgot to mention, that this gas used as narcotica is therefore falling under the drug law also...

OH no if ya sniff NITROUS you shall Die something to do with the 1500PSI and they poisen it to prevent you from sniffing/laughing. I call BS it is not a drug when used in Nitrous Systems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:50 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
Quote:

OH no if ya sniff NITROUS you shall Die something to do with the 1500PSI and they poisen it to prevent you from sniffing/laughing. I call BS it is not a drug when used in Nitrous Systems.

S***!!! Then I have to add the
black Skull/white background Label
(No. 2.3 - toxic gases)

All those stickers will look really good on the rear window of my car - I will always win, nobody wants to get close no more... ha!

Last edited by Squirrelina on Wed May 29, 2002 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

S***!!! Then I have to add the
black Skull/white background Label
(No. 2.3 - toxic gases)
All those stickers will look really good on the rear window of my car - I will always win, nobody wants to get close no more... ha!

I would not mine the skull and cross bones sticker. BTW are you a tree hugger or you trying to yank my string??? Everybody does NITROUS and I have not heard about any of these problems before you. So if you disagree with NITROUS kewl. I disagree with driving the speedlimit then so put that in your pipe and smoke it. Been caught once in 7 years 50DM Done deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:28 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

In the Wild West almost everybody killed some other human at least once in their live... and was that right? Don't think so. Just not to get caught does not mean it is right.

Speeding on the Autobahn - 90 % of the drivers do at least once in their live, some more some less. And if you get caught you pay your ticket.
But if you kill somebody while speeding - what if it's a family with innocent little kids?

An off-going bottle under pressure is like a rocket, a missile. It will shoot through your car, it will shoot through a wall - maybe in a group of schoolkids while driving through town?
Maybe it happens less often than getting caught while speeding, but I would not want it to be my fault.

And you all want to use it for the reason beeing an oxidizer. Means it feeds fire explosively faster than air...
that is why you like it to fire up your engine to more horsepower...
But it has the same effect if it is released outside the bottle, maybe 'cause of an accident, maybe 'cause of a broken valve... It will explosevly feed ANY fire!
All it needs is a spark while released. There will be no (NO!) time left to leave the car if that happens.

That is the risks why they don't allow it on public roads.
If you are driving a race car on the race track - you are at your own risk anyway.

Don't want to start talking about insurance... liability...

And for my person - if I should use it, I will use it on the track only. That simple.

Last edited by Squirrelina on Wed May 29, 2002 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:52 pm 
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

:-WTF:

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:05 am 

Quote:
An off-going bottle under pressure is like a rocket, a missile. It will shoot through your car, it will shoot through a wall - maybe in a group of schoolkids while driving through town?
Maybe it happens less often than getting caught while speeding, but I would not want it to be my fault.

Like never. Those are pretty good odds. Right behind getting struck by lightning.

[quote}And you all want to use it for the reason beeing an oxidizer. Means it feeds fire explosively faster than air...
that is why you like it to fire up your engine to more horsepower...
But it has the same effect if it is released outside the bottle, maybe 'cause of an accident, maybe 'cause of a broken valve... It will explosevly feed ANY fire!
All it needs is a spark while released. There will be no (NO!) time left to leave the car if that happens.[/quote]

N2O is not (NOT!) flamable. A little research into the topic is in order I believe.

This is no differant than a F-body/Mustang on the public streets with a SuperCharger or a Turbo. N2O allows you to get more O2 into your engine than would be allowed by Natural Aspiration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 5:01 am 

N2O is not (NOT!) flamable. A little research into the topic is in order I believe.

This is no differant than a F-body/Mustang on the public streets with a SuperCharger or a Turbo. N2O allows you to get more O2 into your engine than would be allowed by Natural Aspiration.

[/quote]

Some people need to do their research before posting bad infomation. You are right Hawk and Rob, it is not expolsive. Contents are under pressure but not flammable. N2O is just like having a giant cool air snorkel on the front of your car. All N2O does is compacts the oxygen molecules and we all know that oxygen feeds fires. So the more oxygen that is forced into the engine there is more of an explosion=more horse power. Bottom line----N2O is not explosive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 6:27 am 
Headin' for a divorce

Rob and Hotrod
Squirrel never said it was flammable. She said it supports combustion. It is in fact quite unreactive with most elements. but when heated suffuciently it will decompose to 2 molecules of nitrogen and 1 molecule oxygen. Since oxygen is a oxidizer and when mixed with petroleum it can ignite spontaneously. If it wasn't for the free nitrogen that is released in the processed then you would actually have an uncontrollable explosion in the combustion chamber.

So ease up guys and do a little reading yourself .

Last edited by Roy on Thu May 30, 2002 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 7:59 am 
Site Admin

All it needs is a spark while released. There will be no (NO!) time left to leave the car if that happens.

You must have a fuel supply one spark is just that a spark. No explosion that is a fact. I do not want to sound like a know it all cause I do not however these systems are state of the art and prolly easier on a engine than you think.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next