F-Body Europe

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Any car going faster than 10s on the quarter, or faster than 217km/h / 135mph is required to comply with the following security/safety features:

- Rollcage (can be replaced by rollbar on stock body/chassis cars); rollbar/cage has to be padded in the head area
- helmet SNELL 90, 95 or SFI 31.1, 31.2, 41.1, 41.2 or BSI BS 6658-85 Type A (or newer) (not kidding on the "BS")
- neck brace
- safety loop on drive shaft
- external power switch (also required for cars w/ battery in trunk) (hand me the remote control, please ;))
- FIA or SFI approved jacket and pants (!)
- 5 point seat belt

Oh, and by the way - no bottle warmer for N2O bottles permitted! Also, a purge valve is required!

And by the way, all of these requirements are for ET class ... wanna know what PR isn't allowed to use/have? ;)

- no nitrous
- no slicks
- nothing that's not in the registration papers
- no stripped interior
- working cat. conv. for cars newer than '87
- working lights (no missing headlights allowed!)
- no racing fuel

All of this is straight from the DMSB rulebook, which is adopted from the FIA rules ...

More coming ... ;)

Who is gonna inspect/enforce gotta feeling there is only a couple people that know what they are looking at. I think your Toyota will pass though. How many people wanna see ya race that???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

[quote]Hm ... thinking ... does anybody come to mind that might have a problem with those requirements???

I guess that would be me. What are we trying to do here???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:39 pm 
Site Admin

Well, if I remember some of the points listed above correctly, they are in the NHRA rules, too ... point being they have just not been enforced during the OSL runs to date ...
Quote:
Even a lot of the Germans couldn't comply with those rules. If that is the kind of drag racing you want to do, you will eliminate a lot of people.

I don't think anybody is wanting to elimnate anybody, but we are talking about some fast cars here ... heck, 135mph trap speed or lower than 10s isn't that easy to get into! Do you realize that at the OSL runs, we only had like a hand full of cars going that fast? I know on the second event, there were exactly three ... two of which (semi)professional drag-beetles, and Bruce ... and the beetles were (AFAIK) pretty much up to specs, as they are running other drag events and would be sent home during tech inspection if they weren't ...
On the other hand, for cars that can't compete in the PR class due to the requirements listed above - they can run in the ET class without a problem - nitrous allowed, stripped interior allowed, etc ... so where's the "eliminating"?
[Forget about insurance - what about safety? Can you imagine what would happen to an F-Body - or any car for that matter - that has a tire to blow while crossing the 1/4 mark @ 140mph and start rolling? Do you actually think a regular seat belt would hold the driver securely fastened to the seat? Or the roof withstand the impact? Sure, people drive faster than that on the highway. Without helmet, no rollbar required, a.s.o. ...
Quote:
But I think it would be better if you can find a way around it.

No. As I said, these things do not apply until you do some serious speed, and whoever has the money to mod a car up to those speeds can and should afford a couple extra bucks ... heck, where's the problem? The only real expensive thing on the list is the rollbar, followed by the 5 point seat belt I recon ... are you going to tell me somebody is dropping - say - 15 grand in motor and mods, and won't pay another grand (max I recon - please correct me if I'm way off) for a few safety features?
Quote:
Hopefully you will be able to figure a way around the problems.

While drag racing may have originated in the US, we are in Germany - if anything ever happens during a racing event, even if not the organizers' fault, they will be responsible and no doubt in deep sh@t if they can not prove they followed the rules and regulations that are binding for Germany, and those are the DMSB rules!

One final note - those rules are for races - test&tune runs can have other rules set up ... but to a certain degree, I do not think it would be a good idea to drop most of the safety features for cars that are that fast ...[/quote]

Seems like I am being singled out. I was a little faster MPH than expected. But traction sucked so you gonna prep the track to prevent the 100MPH tirespin top side of 3rd around the 1/8th mile sorry that is my fault because I have to much power for your track. Cmon if you expect me to adhere to the standard then the track needs to be prepared accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:18 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
Quote:
Hm ... thinking ... does anybody come to mind that might have a problem with those requirements???

I guess that would be me. What are we trying to do here???

Bruce, that is only because you have one d@mn fast car ... point is, keep your safety features at the same level as your speed ... you will have trouble running on race tracks in the States, too, if you don't ... the whole point of this post/thread is to make it clear to _all_ people out here that there are rules that are not only from DMSB, but also NHRA that require certain safety features to be present on a car ... again, the goal is not to keep people from racing, but to make sure they run in their class, and have the basic features in place ...
Heck, Bruce, the power your car makes is probably sufficient to get you below 10 once you get traction - where would that put your trap speed? 150? 160? Which of the requirements listed above does actually make you uncomfortable? You were already talking about putting a rollbar/cage in - a helmet isn't much of a problem, the safety loop you already have (or don't you?). OK, the external power switch is one thing to talk about - your battery is in front, it's a street car. Probably on test & tune, this will not be a really important feature. This leaves FIA/SFI approved jacket and pants (hey, they will look cool!), the neck brace (oh well) and the 5 point seat belt ... if you already put a rollcage in, wouldn't that be nicely matched with the harness??? See, all done - and not _that_ expensive ... (btw, FIA rules require a 4x4in yellow sticker on the rear for cars running nitrous ... ;) )

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:28 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
BTW I do not have a fahrzug breif nor do I plan to get one. Not required for US forces serving overseas. So if that is what it takes to public race then I will be staying home.

The points that are required for PR class is one thing - but face it, Bruce, you don't have a car that is even close to PR class ... neither under DMSB nor NHRA rules ... check the FIA files I listed above, if anybody comes across the NHRA rulebook online, please let me know - I bet you they are the same, just extended at certain points ... but in no case less strict than FIA ... heck, even my 'vert, though mostly stock and slow as h@ll, won't be able to run PR because of my tires/wheels (not in the papers [ yet ] and sticking out, which they aren't supposed to) ... nor will my 79 ever ... so what? Also, PR is no comptetion for your car - the only cars able to keep up with you (mostly) are specially built drag cars ... you can beat anything else in sight ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Got the safety loop. Planning on the bar/cage thing also. I guess there are opinions on this but are you doing a test and tune or a race? BTW I could run the street class with a couple upgrades or just slow down. This fahrzueg brief thing is not gonna work nor is it fair. It will either flop or turn into a Hockenheim event costing 300 EU just to get 3 runs on a crappy track. That is why street racing is running ramp-ped over here they have no choice with all the rules. If you do not think they are running Nitrous on the street your wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:33 am 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Now, stop the madness here, and don't get too excited either way...
Bruce, this has nothing to do with the ride you gave me
in your car - as Linda said: as good as Sex or even better -THANK YOU!
it is just the result of doing some research and what we found...
As I said earlier in this Thread:
This applies for EVENTS which we officially call RACES
and has nothing to do with 'Test and Tune come togethers',
but it is my point where I tried to explain in the past:
Do not call it a Race because there is too many holes in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:43 am 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

...and as Garry said, your car should be ok with the rollbar for the ET ... in the PR then race only the 12s and slower cars (like mine) which you don't want to race anyhow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:55 am 
Site Admin

I will be running 10's wheels up in the spring. No more power but more traction. I did run 138MPH with I could easily slow that to 134.99. I have a complete firewall so I should be ok to run 10's if I read it right. So we will be testing and tunning next year now tell me the rules you plan to follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:19 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Will try to prepare two set of rulebooks over the winter time:
one will be for "T&T" (Test and Tune) what we mostly do,
the second one for events called "Race" (just in case)
which will have to meet the requirements of the DMSB to
get a permit for a racing event.

The T&T will not be that hard to meet,
will be simple like noise and helmets,
and a few basic safety issues for the cars,
but NO exceptions for anybody.

Grouping of cars will be slightly different:
Stock cars/Slower Cars in Public Race,
Fast cars, Nitrous, Mods which are not allowed in PR will be ET, just because there is a lot more accepted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

Keep the grudge events also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:51 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Does mean, you want the chance to beat up the bigmouth drivers...? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

yup gotta back it up on the track for smack talking purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:17 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Ok - that is an acceptable reason to keep the grudges ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:20 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  Profile

I think there will be a lot less interest if we can't just race for fun. I think that is what most people want. Something like Sembach and Bitburg. I know some want to go all out, and have prepared race cars, but most don't have the money or interest for all that. Just my 2cts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:41 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
I think there will be a lot less interest if we can't just race for fun. I think that is what most people want. Something like Sembach and Bitburg. I know some want to go all out, and have prepared race cars, but most don't have the money or interest for all that. Just my 2cts.

Hm ... people that don't put much money into mods won't need much security mods ... so what's your point????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:37 pm 
Needs a Job

Just like Jack said. That's why I'll be living at the Ring both Rings that is. Cruising is free too....In time it'll be for those w/ money alone. Sad but true..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:48 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
Just like Jack said. That's why I'll be living at the Ring both Rings that is. Cruising is free too....In time it'll be for those w/ money alone. Sad but true..........

Silas, so you mean you are ready to put 10grand and more in the motor and performance, but not willing to put a buck or two into safety? Good to know ... have fun trying to do any runs on US tracks once you're back there ... I doubt you'll be doing more than one run per track before being kicked off ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

Sembach and Bitburg was fun. I think there should be rules but we are the customer. There is some stupid rules out there. If you are serious then apply comman sense and you will get the best of both worlds a fun and safe event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:10 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
There is some stupid rules out there. If you are serious then apply comman sense and you will get the best of both worlds a fun and safe event.

Well, common sense will most likely be used ... but one thing is for sure - rules should not be made up or changed on the fly just to please (or not displease) people ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next