F-Body Europe

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: theoretical question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:36 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

Ok, so by now, most of you who have read my posts know that my car is still in shop and not completed mechanically. But, I figure that most of you have some knowledge or experience in this but:

Figuring that my Trans Am is running a 2.73 rear gear and pushing 400hp what do you figure I could do in the quarter????

I know the rear gear would slow it down from having 3.73s or 4.10s, but any ideas?? Just thought this may be an interesting thread to see what happens.

Patrick

86 BMW 316-basic car, hey it was free!!!

97 Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition 4X4-Black-400W Eclipse Amp-12" Eclipse Sub

Post subject: Re: theoretical question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:45 pm 

Pat,
Try going to this web site http://users.erols.com/srweiss/index.html#jcalc
It has alot of usefull info on what you can add or subtract to your combo
to go faster also will give you what your 1/4 mile time should be at sea level. Anway where in Belguim are you at. I am at Spangdahlem, about a
30 min drive to the border by way of A60.

Post subject: Where am I???
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:56 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

I am in Mons, which is just north of the French border. Not sure what roads it is close to...I am just new to the area. Only been here around three weeks so far....but will be here the next three years!!!

Maybe I will decide to bring my TA sometime. That idea keeps floating through my mind the more that I read on this site. Thanks for the website suggestion...will check that out shortly

Patrick

Post subject: Re: Where am I???
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:10 pm 

GrayTA wrote:
I am in Mons, which is just north of the French border. Not sure what roads it is close to...I am just new to the area. Only been here around three weeks so far....but will be here the next three years!!!

Maybe I will decide to bring my TA sometime. That idea keeps floating through my mind the more that I read on this site. Thanks for the website suggestion...will check that out shortly

Patrick

You need to think real hard about bringing it over. I think that you would
love hitting the open road and throwing the hammer down. I have a '88
GTA over here. It is too much fun having an American V8 car over here.

Post subject: euro spec or not??
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:14 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

Is your GTA Euro spec or US spec???

Have you had any difficulty finding parts or anything like that?? I would have to pay for shipping it here, and I wonder if it would be just cheaper to buy another car and run it into the ground and save my TA for when I get back and then throw it down. I will already have my Expedition here and that is going to suck gas like crazy!!!

Patrick

Post subject: Re: euro spec or not??
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:37 am 

GrayTA wrote:
Is your GTA Euro spec or US spec???

Have you had any difficulty finding parts or anything like that?? I would have to pay for shipping it here, and I wonder if it would be just cheaper to buy another car and run it into the ground and save my TA for when I get back and then throw it down. I will already have my Expedition here and that is going to suck gas like crazy!!!

Patrick

Depends on wha part you are trying to find. If it is performance parts then
it is best that you go through an internet company like Jegs, Summit, etc.
Shipping can hit your pocket book hard some times but that is the price
you pay for being overseas trying to mod-up your car. Never the less I
think that it is a small price to pay.
My GTA is US spec. There is no way it would pass the TUV inspection.
We do not have to worry about that being military.

Post subject: TUV inspection
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:41 am 
 ICQ  Profile

What exactly is required in a TUV inspection. I know that here in Belgium they have some sort of inspection. Does that only apply to one car or to any car you own??

I figured that if there were an inspection that it would be easier for my Expedition to pass rather than my Trans Am anyway...which was one more reason to bring that...although I already miss my TA.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:17 pm 
Cool Newbie

Welcome to Belgium Patrick

I'am in Brussels, and can help you find parts for yours car if you need them here and for less, I know good adresses

I'am the owner of a 72 Buick Skylark, and sometime go to germany for racing in Bitburg, driving a 81 Buick regal everyday.
You will soon discover that Belgium is very poor about High performance car.

Most of them are WV betlle, and we race often together, we meet every fryday night at the Mc Donald in Waterloo, which is about 35 miles from Mons, Better to come when it's not raining or cold like today!
April to October is the best.
Also Nitrous is my specility here, have a kit for a Dodge stealth turbo taht I will install next week for a fench guy, they have a big import scene there, but nitrous is really new for them!

BEST ET

12.10@110 mph with nitrous

See you
David
:roll:

Post subject: Re: TUV inspection
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:15 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

GrayTA wrote:
What exactly is required in a TUV inspection.
Quote:
Well, it's supposed to be a safety inspection, but mainly to keep people from modding their car (IMHO) ... a whole sh@tload of stuff is checked, some that make sense, others that don't ...
Quote:
I know that here in Belgium they have some sort of inspection. Does that only apply to one car or to any car you own??

Every car needs inspection every two years ... (except new ones, first inspection is after three years)
Quote:
I figured that if there were an inspection that it would be easier for my Expedition to pass rather than my Trans Am anyway...which was one more reason to bring that...although I already miss my TA.

If you're in the military, national inspection shouldn't apply to you (if you register your car through the army) - then, all you have to do is pass the army safety inspection (recon there is one ...)

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject: inspections
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:44 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

I guess I need to find out more about the inspections before I decide to bring it over. I talked to some of the people i worked with and they said we were allowed one vehicle per person, unless my wifes work allowed it to be brought over or something. I guess I need to do some more research on it all though.

Thanks for the help...I love that website with all the formulas on it that HOTROD posted. I have had a blast on that site!!!

What other mods would anyone suggest beyond what I have on my TA now?? I think I need to do some suspension work, but still getting power hungry. This is my first car buildup, and I have waited a long time to do it.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:07 pm 
Cool Newbie

Every car needs inspection every two years ... (except new ones, first inspection is after three years)

In Belgium, it's every year for car older than 4 year, or if you want to sell it!
Also if you buy a new pick up or van or truck, it's the day you left the dealer and then every year

Taxi every 6 month

Bus every 3 month

and no guarante!, if your your collapse in two after you've left the inspection building, they are not responsable

Post subject: Inspections
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:12 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

I dont think I like the inspection idea, but if I knew that I could get past it or would be exempted from it that would be a good thing. Gotta do some more research on it.

Just as a side note: This is my FIFTIETH POST!!!! thats only taken me about ten days to do that...

Why might you ask?? Because I HAVE NO LIFE!!!!! Just thought I would clarify that for any of you who may be interested.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:29 pm 

david661 wrote:
Also Nitrous is my specility here :roll:

What do you mean by that statement. Can you fill American DOT stamped bottles or do they have to be TUV'd? If so just how far are you from Bitburg? We may be talking here real soon.

Post subject: NITROUS????
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:37 am 
 ICQ  Profile

I may be interested in talking with you about putting a shot of that on my Expedition...just for the sheer hell of it....that would be a blast now wouldnt it??? If I bring my TA I think that would be cool to do as well.

But thats another issue....

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:40 am 
Cool Newbie

Yes we can fill DOT bottle, but you can do that too in Germany also!!

I'am in Brussels, about 250 Km from Bitburg

And yes it's a blast, went from 13.50 to 12.10 with 100 HP shoot, but last time i did that, I've blow my rear end!!

Now i've got a new Moser 12 bolts, good for more!!!

David
Brussels

Post subject: NITROUS!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:31 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

So, what would you charge for putting it in a 5.4L Ford engine like I have in my Expedition?? I dont know what I would use it for other than just maybe taking it to a track for the sheer hell of it!!! But a 400hp Expo on laughing gas would be pretty funny!!!!

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:20 pm 
Cool Newbie

Don't think that is a good idea to put nitrous on a so heavy car!!
Keep the money for your TA!!!

Normally we buy a kit in the US when we ship a car from there ( bottle can't be ship by air) and that cheaper too!

Do the same with your's TA, put the kit in the car!

I charge 250 Euros for installation if you can't do it yourself
Do that on Weekend, as it's not my job

David

Post subject: Nitrous
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:49 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

So, when do you guys meet at Waterloo?? I will try to make some meetings up there sometime just to watch and see whats going on there. Do many of them speak English?? I would love to come and chat and hang out and watch for a while sometime.

I guess a Nitrous Expedition would maybe be silly, but it could be fun from time to time....LOL

I guess I have the performance bug right now and want to drive my TA. I enjoy posting on here and chatting with everyone and just want to go fast. I havent actually driven in almost a month, and its driving me NUTS!!!!

Back to my original question though....I plugged my numbers into a formula with weight and horsepower and came up that I should run somewhere in the low 12s naturally...with the engine that I have described how much nitrous would you recommend putting on my engine?? What could it handle just for the time on a drag strip??

I dont know if I would really do that or not, but it just gets my mind thinking. I was debating about doing either turbo or supercharging it, and could that be piggybacked with nitrous?? Or am I getting too much going on with the engine??

Any help or ideas you have would be appreciated.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:37 pm 
Cool Newbie

A few of us are speaking english, and if you want to come wait for April and the good weather!

Also what is your engine combo?

Firts thingh you need is forged piston for nitrous use!! the cast one will be destroyed.
Also your rear end and driveshaft are very weak on your TA, 500HP and you are in danger to break one of the twoo (did break my 10 bolts on a nitrous run)

So tell me more about your car

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Get ahold of HAWK, he has Venom nitrous systems, he will hook you up for bottom dollar. Would go well on that expedition. I have one of the systems on my car. Its computer controlled, if you go lean, it will shut the nitrous off, saving your engine from potential damage, its really safe. Easy to install too! It has a nifty display to tell you if you are running rich, lean and when the nitrous is activated. It also adds more fuel and keeps the nitrous to fuel ratio in check. Comes on when you put the pedal to the floor.

But be careful, Nitrous is adicting!

Jeff

89 Dodge caravan turbo project.