F-Body Europe

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: cam, compression, and other techie stuff
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:10 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

Ok, so right now I have plugged in my mods and such to Desktop Dyno and while I am not sure about my cam it looks that I am getting close to the 400hp mark...just a little below that depending on which cam he put in there. It also shows over 400ft/lbs also depending on which cam he used.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cam I could put in there that would get me well past that 400 mark?? even 410 would be great 420 would be even better...or would anyone here suggest that I try for a cam with more torque?? I have found several cams which would put me around the 430ft/lb mark. These numbers are at the flywheel on Desktop Dyno...so I know take about 20% from that for RWHP, but dont know how much, if any to take from the torque number for RWTQ.

A lot of this stuff is new to me, so I am learning. This has been my first project car and I havent even been there to work through a lot of it. So, I am kinda disappointed in that, but want it to be a great burner when I do get to drive it later this summer.

Also, how would I go about changing compression?? Is that through different heads?? or changing the pistons?? He put forged flat-top pistons in the engine when he rebuilt it. It should be running 9.0:1 figuring that he kept it stock. Also, the heads on the engine are the stock heads. How would porting them help?? And how would I go about doing that.

I figure that I will be there later this summer and should have the car for a couple months, so if I can do any of these things then it puts me ahead of the game when I get it back full time. So I figure ask the experts and there are a lot of you guys here on this board.

Getting lots of good Tranny information from some of you, because thats my next thing...tranny and rear end. I want a posi rear end does anyone have one laying around cheap???

Thanks guys (and ladies)

Patrick

86 BMW 316-basic car, hey it was free!!!

97 Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition 4X4-Black-400W Eclipse Amp-12" Eclipse Sub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:40 pm 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

You want torque. Get a cam that will build lots of torque. I would highly recommend getting new heads. They are cheaper in the long run. After you spend the money porting, valve job, etc., you can get some heads that flow better and are brand new for just a little more. On a budget? Get the vortec (iron) heads. You will get an additional 30hp. You will also need a new intake and valve covers. You can also look into some trick flow (aluminum) heads.

http://members.cardomain.com/dumaisk
http://community.webshots.com/album/113580439DwJndn/0
Yes, I'm a caraholic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:33 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

I have heard about the vortec heads and the trick flows, but would they bolt right on to that engine??? This is a 1st Gen LT1, not the 2nd Gen....so this engine is 33 years old. Or does that matter??

I ran it on Desktop Dyno and without figuring my custom exhaust it looks to be just shy of the 400hp I had hoped. I got about 382, which is quite a gain over the 305TBI I did have. But I still want that magic 400. Not sure how much above that I would gain with the 3in Exhaust, but I figure a little bit.

Also any suggestions on a cam that may help. I got my cam specs today 287/287 and .480/.480 with a 107 Lobe center, and 111 exhaust center. Not even sure what all that means, but open to any suggestions anyone may have.

Thanks again,

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:13 pm 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

The heads will bolt up no problem. The vortecs will need new stuff such as intake manifold, (Edelbrock RPM Airgap) valve covers and possibly new spark plugs. The Trick Flows will bolt up with the engine that you have now. AFR also makes a good head. If you want higher compression, the aluminum heads can go up about one point without detonation due to the better heat exchange. (from 8.5 to 9.5) World Products makes good iron heads along with Dart. Just search the web. Good luck with your project :!:

http://members.cardomain.com/dumaisk
http://community.webshots.com/album/113580439DwJndn/0
Yes, I'm a caraholic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:08 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

Thanks for your help and suggestions. Glad to find someone who knows something about this engine block and what will bolt to it and wont.

I did some research on how to run this Desktop program and learned how to run different heads. I ran the Vortecs this program has and didnt gain a lot over what it has right now, (I also didnt change the manifold) but did discover that there are some that do offer enormous gains....which are well worth the effort. There are a lot I havent played with yet...such as the Darts and such. Tried what you recommended first though...

a few results I found using this program:

Victor Aluminum heads yielded-418hp/414tq
LT4 heads- 416hp/400tq
Canted Flow heads showed-425hp/412tq

and the biggest I have found so far with my setup:
Victor 23* CNC heads - 434hp/414tq

I played with several others on here...(I am having a blast with this program). I dont know how accurate it is, but its amazing to see the differences these things make.

next will likely be the Tranny and rear end...posi is a MUST...a one wheel wonder wont put it to the asphalt the way it should.

Hungry for horsepower,

Patrick