F-Body Europe

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: What 1/4 times to expect
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:45 am 
Cool Newbie

I've got a 99 z28 A4 with flomaster exhaust, whisper lid, cold air and maf. A tci streetfighter installed and 3:73 rear end about to be fitted in place of the 2:73. With 275/40x17 BFG drag radials what sort of time should I be looking at?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:50 am 
Site Admin

My guess mid/low 13's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:56 am 
Cool Newbie

I/m doing mid 13's now, at the weekend I ran a 13.56 at 105.68 before the rain started. That was before the tc was fitted and on street tyres so I would hope I'll do better than low 13's. I'm hoping for mid/high 12's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:01 pm 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

This is the spec of a UK A4 car with 3.42 gears in the back end.

99 Z28, T Bar, Flomaster, K&N,Whisper cold air induction, maf and air lid. EGR mod. TCI Streetfighter torque converter.
Best ET: 13.56 @107.56 (before the tq fitted)

Note that the time was achieved at Santa Pod which tends to slow the car by up to 2/10ths as it's an incline. He's just ordered some higher (lower) gears for the back axle. This time is on street tyres with a 1600rpm launch and with the ASR on. Seemed quick to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:49 pm 
Cool Newbie

Having spoken to a couple of other people at santa pod on the day and compared timing slips we've all come to the conclusion that all was not well with the TSI system on the day.

Whilst the day was perfect for drag racing, and I admit I was willing to believe the time was right, it does seem a lttle out of synch when you calculate the ETxbhpxspeed whichever way you do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:35 am 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

Ah, so you recognised your car then....you should have copyrighted the details! You'll have to get down to Santa Pod to get a fresh time. I'm glad you told me so I don't break my car trying to match those figures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:43 pm 
Cool Newbie

Fresh time already!! 13.56 @ 105 which is probably more accurate in keeping with what it ought to do

However.... the torque converter is now fitted and ready to go; the 3.73 rear end is on route and booked into Hausers to be fitted on the 22nd of this month. All I need now is for North Hants tyres to get off their a** and get me the 275/40 x 17 BFG Drag radials that they've been telling me are on the way for the last 5 weeks ago. Fit the panhard bar and rear control arms and I'm set 8)

What Nos system are you thinking of? I haven't got any further than dreaming about Nos at the moment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:55 am 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

I'll have to change that rear end. I had an expensive weekend at Avon Park - £12 per adult to get in and then £15 to race. On top of that, I only got 3 runs as the track was closed for an hour after someone diverted their methanol supply to the track! Poor old Jagsy made the trip from Newcastle and never even got to race because of that.

I'm afraid the car is no faster. I tried the 1600rpm launch and the tyres were squealing like banshees. My best run was still 13.98 @ 102.xx but my opportunity to improve was curtailed by long queues and the closing of the track.

Not sure about which nitrous system to use. At this rate, I'll be changing the car. Jagsy brought an American USAF man with a sunset orange "51" reg SS with various bits of kit on it but sadly, he didn't get to run either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:38 am 

740 miles amd not a single bast down the strip. Ah well, better look next time!!!

Theoretically I can always claim that 13.5 second pass (he he).

Lus1fer - that was a frustrating day.

But on the good side I have now seen lots more mods that I want to do. Must get that TA fitted now and see waht the lift off is like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:26 pm 
Cool Newbie

LuS1fer, bad luck with the lack of runs; last time at santa pod I only made two runs in nearly three hours.

You seem to have the power there if your wheels are screaming and your suspension ought to be helping with traction so somethings definetly not right as you ought to be getting better times than that. I read somewhere that the FIPK can choke the air supply a bit if there isnt a direct flow getting to it, where does yours pick up its air from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:34 pm 

FatBoy

I wanted Lus1fer take off. He spun the wheels big time. I think he needs bigger rubber - me too. After see 275 vs 245 its time to change. I am saving for 18" all round and definately 275 wide. More expense!!!!.

As for the FIPK, I think Lus1fer will agree that the tray underneath needs cutting to allow air all round.

After seeing the SLP ram air duct - I like it alot. I also read a good article in the Camaro Performance magazine that rates the product for about 20HP.

Now when is my birthday.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:46 am 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

Yes, I'm fairly sure the FIPK needs feeding.

When I originally had the free ram air mod, I was extremely perturbed by the amount of sh*t on the air filter - there was literally a big black line across it and I had to turn the filter round after a very low mileage. When I fitted the FIPK, I considered drilling the base plate which blocks off the air feed to the underside but didn't do it because I didn't want to be forever cleaning the FIPK (having said that, it's looking pretty dirty anyway).

What I think I'll do is fit an adjustable vent that I can close when I'm not drag racing so I can have the best of both worlds.

Jagsy is right though, I do need some rubber on the back that will permit 60' times that aren't 2.4x or worse and the rear end gearing is letting me down as well. I still found that rolling it off the line and flooring it gave the best time. The higher revs just send it sideways.

The other thing is that as I've lowered it, I'm not getting the weight transfer. Perhaps I shouldn't have taken the spare wheel out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:04 am 
Cool Newbie

I get that black line across my filter too but I just accepted that the filter was doing its job by collecting it. You pick up all sorts of crap because of where the air dam is located; when we fitted the trans oil cooler we found a Red Bull can wedged up inside between the rads!

The adjustable vent sounds like a good idea; on mine I've got a plate that slides in over the top of the cold air induction tunnel to stop the air flow.

Good luck with the rubber - I've been waiting for North Hants tyres to get me a pair of 17" BFG's (and a pair of 17" wheels to mount them on) for nearly 6 weeks now with no joy whatsoever. Sinton tyres didn't even seem to understand the question when I asked them if they could get the same tyres/wheel conbination for me. Bronco didn't even answer the phone. It seems anything other than normal tread/size/brand is beyond these people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:11 pm 

Fatboy
What is the TCI Streetfighter???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:55 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

IIRC a torque converter ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:29 pm 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

Jagsy, I think it's a girl from Bridgend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:39 pm 
Cool Newbie

Similar to a girl from Bridgend but:
a) its a tighter fit in the box
b) it gets you off faster
c) its not as cheap

OR...

It could be an aftermarket torque converter with a stall speed about 1500rpm over stock which usually results in quicker launches and puts you into the power band quicker which should also give a better ET

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:39 am 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

You certainly need a soild input shaft and a strong rear end if you're going to attempt this - same for the torque converter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:40 am 
Cool Newbie

LuS1fer wrote:

You certainly need a soild input shaft and a strong rear end if you're going to attempt this - same for the torque converter.

This thread isnt going to descend into cheap comments about lubrication; swallowing juice and worn out big ends I hope :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:48 am 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

"Carry On Drag Racing" starring Kenneth Williams as Hattie Jacques, Charles Hawtrey as the geeky guy in glasses driving a Wolseley 1500 and Sid James candidly filmed sniffing nitrous whilst Barbara Windsor runs topless down the quarter mile pursued by a tot rod.