F-Body Europe

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Couple of Bitburg Drags questions....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:31 pm 

1. From a spectators perspective, any way to setup something to let them know what the cars are running. Kinda sucks guessing and saying, "Oh, bet that was a 12."

2. I was at the last race last year, and noticed there was one "exhibition" run. Why was it an exhibition run? Because it was loud? Didn't seem to set any speed records.

3. Also, I guess running open exhaust is not allowed? Because when my car is ready to run, my puny 2 1/2" duals might be the difference between a low 11 and 10s. That might suck.

Thanks,
Mav

'95 Impala SS "Motor being rebuilt(again) as we speak. Going Stout NA 383 for the juice."

Post subject: Re: Couple of Bitburg Drags questions....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:35 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

MadMav wrote:
1. From a spectators perspective, any way to setup something to let them know what the cars are running. Kinda sucks guessing and saying, "Oh, bet that was a 12."

I'm trying to build a time display for next season ... running into some problems getting the parts I want, but I'll try to figure out something ...
Quote:
2. I was at the last race last year, and noticed there was one "exhibition" run. Why was it an exhibition run? Because it was loud? Didn't seem to set any speed records.

3. Also, I guess running open exhaust is not allowed? Because when my car is ready to run, my puny 2 1/2" duals might be the difference between a low 11 and 10s. That might suck.

Due to requirements of the airfield, there are certain restrictions ... one of the many is a 95+/-3dB noise limit (so yes, running open exhaust will not be able, at least not in Bitburg ...). Also, no races, but only test&tune ...
After all, we're still in Germany ... so we need to take what we can get ... :(

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:07 pm 

Garry, you need any help with the displays, let me know.

As for the noise, I know that ran the "exhibition" run was way over the 95+/-3db level. What is need to perform the "exhibition" run?

Thanks,
Mav

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:13 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Can you get ahold of decently priced number displays? E.g. like they use on the external display of filling stations?

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:31 pm 

If you send me what info you have and how you guys want to se the setup work, I will do some in depth research for you. Got few small connections, we'll see.

Mav

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:44 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Well, what I was looking for is them flap-type 7 segment displays, in contrast to LED type displays they are way better legible in bright sunlight ... size - anywhere from 4in through - say - 10-12in ... don't want them tooooo big, as the whole display (with up to 20 digits on it, 2 rows wth 2x5 digits each) still has to be transportable ... I've found a place in the UK that sells used segments, at somewhere around 40€/piece IIRC ... can't find the site right now ... anyway, I think I remember reading the price for new segments, and that was in the 150€ range per piece ... :shock: