F-Body Europe

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: NHRA Drivers Will Return to Germany to visit Troops
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:55 pm 
No Life

The NHRA drivers are coming back to the KMC again this year. You can read a portion of the press release below. Once again we are trying to get some cool cars together to meet them like we did last year. If you would like to participate, plan to meet at the NCO Club at Ramstein on the 27th. The drivers are scheduled to be at JR Rockers at 1700 for dinner. They will have some time to visit after dinner before going to the Contingency Aeromedical Staging Facility at 2000. They will probably return to the Club around 2100 for a little while.

Last year we were able to get a few cars together on very short notice and the drivers really enjoyed it. There will also be some souvenir packs for the participants more than likely. It is a good chance to get pictures and autographs from some well known drivers. The Budweiser folks also gave away some decent prizes with some contests in JR Rockers. Overall, I think everyone really enjoyed it. In addition to the drivers, there are also some people from GM planning to attend including Fred Simonds, GM Drag Racing Manager.

The club is planning to block off about 60 parking spaces and also to have some Lightalls out there. Hopefully we can get even more of the car guys out there to welcome them. If you plan to attend, you can PM or email me at kc10a@t-online.de. That will give me some idea of how many cars to expect. I plan to be there a little before 1700.

If someone has access to the Might Mustangs board, can you please also post this on there. Thanks.

Press Release (edited)
DETROIT, Nov. 17, 2006 – Five goodwill ambassadors from the National Hot Rod Association will once again take part in a USO-sponsored trip to Germany to visit wounded American troops and Air Force/Army personnel stationed at the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC). Six-time NHRA Pro Stock champion Warren Johnson, two-time NHRA Pro Stock champion Jim Yates, Top Fuel drivers Melanie Troxel and Cory McClenathan, and Funny Car driver Tommy Johnson Jr. will represent NHRA during a post-Thanksgiving support mission to the KMC and the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center (LRMC).

Six-time NHRA champion Warren Johnson (1992-93, 1995, 1998-99, 2001) drives the GM Performance Parts Pontiac GTO and is making his second trip to KMC. Commonly referred to as "The Professor" of Pro Stock, the legendary racer, innovator and engine builder has captured 96 victories (second all-time to John Force's 121), 136 No. 1 qualifying awards, six U.S. Nationals crowns, and made 149 final-round appearances in a career that goes back to 1971. Johnson has won at least one national event in 24 of the last 25 race seasons, and in October at the ACDelco NHRA Nationals in Las Vegas, Johnson became the first professional driver in the history of the NHRA to compete in 500 races. Originally a Minnesota native, Johnson now has WJ Enterprises which is based in Sugar Hill, Ga.

Jim Yates drives the Sea Ray Boats/Wiley X Eyewear Pontiac GTO and is a two-time NHRA champion, winning back-to-back Pro Stock titles in 1996-97. This year, Yates returned to the winner's circle for the first time since 2002 by winning the Pontiac Performance Nationals in Columbus, Ohio. That victory, along with a runner-up at Houston, was the catalyst for the 14th career top-10 finish by the Pontiac GTO driver. Yates is also making his second trip to KMC.

Tommy Johnson Jr. is the driver of Don Prudhomme's Skoal Racing Chevy Monte Carlo Funny Car and was part of the NHRA contingent that visited Germany in 2005. This season, the 38-year-old Johnson recorded his ninth career top-10 finish spurred on by two national-event victories (Phoenix, Brainerd), a runner-up at Las Vegas and two raceday pole awards.

Cory McClenathan has compiled an impressive record during his tenure as an NHRA competitor. In his 15 years as a Top Fuel driver (excluding 2001 when he entered just one event), the Southern California native has 29 wins, has raced in 49 final rounds and earned 30 No. 1 qualifying awards.

Melanie Troxel drives the Skull Gear/Torco Fuel dragster and will be making her first trip to KMC. This year Troxel recorded her first top-five finish, and had one of the best starts of any driver in the history of the Top Fuel category when she advanced to the final round at the first six races (including wins at the season-opening event in Pomona, Calif, and the Summit Racing Nationals in Las Vegas). She beat out NASCAR's Jimmie Johnson and IRL's Helio Castroneves to win the prestigious Driver of the Year first-quarter award, and just last month Troxel was honored by Billie Jean King's Women's Sports Foundation as its Sportswoman of the Year. The former NHRA Rookie of the Year is married to Funny Car driver Tommy Johnson Jr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:10 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

i am gonna copy this to Mighty and K-town cruisers.....we should be there BTW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:12 pm 
No Life

Thanks, I got it on the Mighty board. I finally remembered my password.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:44 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Sounds interesting ... can't bring my 'Hawk due to season registration (unless I can come up with some red tags AND the weather is good enough for the 275 summer tires), but might be interested in showing up ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:50 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

hey KC, check yer PM;s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:14 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

OK Y'ALL, LETS COMBINE THIS EVENT AND HAVE A TOYS FOR TOTS CRUISE WITH IT....BRING A NEW UNWRAPPED TOY FOR A CHILD AND AFTER THE SHOWING, WE WILL ALL GO ON A NICE CRUISE....EVERYONE IS INVITED, I DONT CARE IF YOU BRING A RIDING MOWER, AS LONG AS YOU BRING A TOY....LETS HELP NEEDY PEOPLE HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:43 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

BTW, it's is Optional to bring a toy,.....not needed...but it would be nice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:02 pm 
No Life

Garry, you are more than welcome to attend, whether or not you bring one of the FBodys. Anyone else thinking about participating. It would be nice to make them feel welcome.

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:26 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

You're sure on that date, it's a Monday?

Anybody interested, I still have a couple 1on1 flyers left from the 2006 season, might make a good basis for collecting signatures ... :)

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:09 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I'll take a couple if I can.....one for me, and one for my baby bro who recently got his first car.....of course it was a stang...hahahahahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:22 pm 
No Life

Garry, The date is a Monday. They are flying in on Sunday. By the way, are those the flyers or the posters. I'd really like to have one of the posters if there are any left out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:52 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

I think I have one poster left, maybe a dozen of the A4 flyers ... dunno if Silke has some of either left, pretty sure she was out of flyers, though ...

Edit: I don't have any of this year's posters left, two or three of last year's though ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:34 pm 
No Life

I have an update on the get together at the NCO club with the NHRA drivers. They will probably arrive at the club around 6 pm on Monday night. They have some special goody bags for the participants. They have 100 for the guys and 50 for the ladies. (They have 1500 for the other places they visit.) Additionally, each driver has a very special goody bag for them to give to their favorite car. I have no idea what is in it, but supposedly they are nice. I hope we can have a good turn-out for it to welcome them.

Garry, if you are coming and need for me to get you on the base, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:49 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Yup, will need some way to get ahold of someone to get me in I recon ...
So, what's the schedule? Anything else going on earlier?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:13 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Garry wrote:
You're sure on that date, it's a Monday?

Anybody interested, I still have a couple 1on1 flyers left from the 2006 season, might make a good basis for collecting signatures ... :)

now I know why I ran out of Flyers in August... Garry's been collecting them :?

I ran out of Posters before then, the only one left is on my kitchen wall since April.
Some people are already selling Posters from 2004 and 2005 on fleamarkets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:28 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

So who else is going to show up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:18 am 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

don't know but don't think so.
since Thursday/Friday Kamilla and since yesterday I am sick.
flu-type symptoms
wonder why she, Opa made her to get all flu shots
don't even know if we can make it to work/school tomorrow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:59 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Not going to bring the 'hawk, cleaned it up today, last layer of Zaino, into the garage and covered up ... couldn't get the red tags I was hoping for, so it's the MR tomorrow ... don't expect a goody-bag for that car ;)

Btw, put together what I have left, about half a dozen flyers from 2006 and 3 posters from 2005 ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:48 am 
Needs a Job

I'll try and be there but no car as I have no plates. :( If there is no snow by late Dec I'm going to re-register it and hope it passes. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:54 am 
No Life

Sounds good.