F-Body Europe

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Question on Tuning L31
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:40 am 
 YIM  Profile

That's right, this Ford guy just finalized his deal on his L31 powered 96 GMC K1500:)

I'm back to a truck, car is staying with me but I just picked up the truck from a freind who was in a bind. Here's the details:

96 GMC Sierra SLE Ext Cab Z71 coded
4wd 4L60-E etc...

114,000 miles, synthetic Amsoil ran in tranny, front and rear diff's, and engine since 42,000 miles. Truck is in Awsome shape, got her for 4200 bucks off of the buddy.

Anyway, to help gas milage out I'm going to do the usual suspects, CAI - probably a K&N Gen II system cost a little more but the materials they use really keep heat out.

Headers - looking at some Hookers right now, or possibly JBA Cat 4 wards, it already has a Gibson mandrel bent on it so it will stay on.

Tuner, I wanted to know if I can use EFI Live for this truck? I'm not looking for performance, more for a few tunes, one for playing - I do 4 wheel alot, and one for Gas milage, i would tune myself as it woulnd't be a crazy amount of tuning. Would you recommend a Hypertech for it since it has the ability to change all the gear ratios- will happen once I lift it - SAS btw no IFS lifts for me:)

Or would you Chevy guys recommend the EFI live or something simular as the cost looks to be around the same and I already tune my Stang with SCT Pro Racer Package so I'm not flying blind into this one?

Please let me know your opinions, I'm new to the Chevy game, and i would like a little more power and better milage, I'm looking for over 20mpg at 72-75mph on the Interstate, she will be getting driven ALOT. Buddy said he's getting around 19mpg on the interstate at 75 now so between headers, intake and tune I should Easily get there.

I'm also thinking of running the Fuel catalizer as well so I can run 87 but will be equivalent to around a 91 via the catalyzer.

Post subject: Re: Question on Tuning L31
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:57 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

On the EFILive Homepage I can only find Sierras 99 and up ... is that a different engine than stock? (sorry, but I haven't a clue what's in trucks and stuff ...)

Dropped a message on the forum there ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:08 am 
 YIM  Profile

Yeah, I sent them an email cause I can't find anything on being able to use the EFI live for the L31, and no, that is the stock Vortech 5.7 350 engine. I'm just looking for custom tuning options for the truck, if I can't find any, then I will do the Hypertech, or Superchips version and the just change little variables and use thier "custom" tunes that come in the handhelds with a little bit of tweaking to shift points etc...

Hopefully I can find custom tuning options, and i expect to hear back within a day or two on EFILive's ability, but I can't find hard proof that I can use it anywhere, it's no hurry, just thought I'd ask you guys:)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:23 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

If you should be up in Bitburg with it this month, I could try to read it ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:51 am 
Headin' for a divorce

Trevor
You would have to do the 0411 ECM swap in order to use EFI LIVE. But it would be worth it .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:54 pm 
 YIM  Profile

Interesting,

0411 and use the EFI live is a better option than the other's you think then?

I'll have to look up what is involved in the ECU swap, I'm guessing this is from a 99 or newer Chevy or GMC? I'm assuming it would bolt up directly to the harness for my older truck, hoping so I should say, not assuming:)

Gary, the truck is in Cinncinatti, and I'm going to pick it up and drive it to Florida, I leave in 17 days, PCSing out.

Thanks for the offer though, and I should be at bit but as a spectator, not a participant.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:36 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

OK ... was wondering why you'd pick up a truck that short before leaving ;)