F-Body Europe

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Auburn Pro Series POSI Diff 10Bolt - some noise ok ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:08 pm 
Cool Newbie

Hi Guys

I just wanted to ask you if what I am hearing is normal operational noise from my new diff.

As you might have read in a different thread of mine, I stuck in an Auburn Pro Series POSI Diff 542047 in my 98 Z28 last week, because the original one was gone as were bearings and shims after 80000km ..

I got that car with 70000km on it and don't know how hard the previous drivers kicked it ... all together it is in a very good shape, but I discovered they built in hand-made shims .. aerr ... weird ... belonged to a rent-a-car company before ..

Now my rear-end has been restored for a "moderate" EUR 800 by Opel/GM Frankfurt plus Auburn diff and ring and pinion I still had in my basement and which were in new condition. The rear ratio stayed at 2.73:1 because at the moment and with this axle I have no drag-racing ambitions.

Before, ring and pinion were too tight and you did not hear any noise from the rear and this might have been one of the reasons I now had to replace the whole thing, because bearings, shims, spacers and ring&pinion were worn out.

Now after stucking the new diff in:
- When I accelerate: I hear nothing from the rear (80% overlap of ring&pinion surfaces)
- When I release the gas: I still hear a faint but noticable howling sound (pinion&ring distance ?)
- When I turn: I hear faint grinding (stiffer springs ?)

Auburn suggests a break-in period of 500 miles at moderate speeds and acceleration as well as a fluid replacement after this period to make sure eventual metal particles will be drained.

I have currently done roughly 250km on the new diff.

To me it feels like all is ok, but I just wanted to ask you all the same, whether such sounds are the normal thing for our Camaros.

I already heard that the Pro series is supposed to make more noise than the high performance one (but I thought it would only have stiffer springs and therefore only make more noise cornering .. )

What are your experiences ?

Best
Pedro

Post subject: Re: Auburn Pro Series POSI Diff 10Bolt - some noise ok ?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:39 pm 
Cool Newbie

just to close this thread .. running fine on that Auburn POSI for more than a year now! Noises all back to normal. Just had to drive it for a while ..

best
pedro