F-Body Europe

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Anyone with modded suspension
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:56 pm 
Cool Newbie
 WWW  Profile

Hi,

I just found this site (actually directed here from LS1.com), but I already need some help.

I am going to be installing new springs, shocks and swaybars as part of my preparation to run my 2001 Trans Am in ESP class at SCCA autocrosses. Unfortunately the car is back in the states, but I want to order my parts so I will have them to install over Christmas.

So, to the question, does anyone have a 4th gen with a modified suspension that I might be able to take for a short test drive. I talked with Sam Strano about my set-up and right now I am planning to go with 500# front springs and 150 or 175# rear springs, Ground control Perches all around, 35 mm front bar, 21 mm rear bar, Strano revalved Bilsteins in Front and 3rd Gen Bilsteins rear. He had mentioned he sent similar parts to some customers in Germany. I would like to see how this feels to see if I would like something a little softer, harder, whatever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:47 pm 

Hi Bill, welcome to the site.

I haven't quite done my suspension yet, but when I was researching what to buy a few things became obvious which are:
1) what you are using the vehicle for;
2) how much you want to spend; and
3) personal preference.

I know this doesn't answer your question but there is so much choice out there.

Sam Strano has a lot of respect on the web pages and I have got the revalved Bilsteins from Sam to go with the Eibach Pro Kit. The other things he recommends are also worth changing but IMO his specification is for race set up.

I have gone for street set up with parts that are hopefully fit for purpose and good value (I have chosen BMR products all round).

One further bit of info, a book "how to modify your Camaro" I have read recommends the first things to do are SFC's, and STB (as the fbody is very weak and the longer you leave it the more flexible it'll get) and torque arm to fix that back axle solid and allow you to plant the power to the road.

I also personally believe the stock shocks are very poor with very little rebound. This has been further emphasised now I have the SFC's in. So I totally agree with Sam in recommending the change. Again, if you are willing to pay the money you can get better shocks than Bilstein.

Please note, I am not experienced in trying different things, a lot of my comments are from reading.

Hope I have been of use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:15 pm 
Cool Newbie
 WWW  Profile

Thanks Jagsy,

I will be using my car for autocrosses, open track days and daily driving (in that order of importance). I think the Bilsteins will work good for me while I sort out the rest of the car. I will have different swaybars to do a little bit of tuning. STB is already on, but unfortunately I can't get SFC'S or stiffer LCA's because the ESP class rules won't allow them. The Torque arm is definitely on the to do list, along with the T2R diff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:00 am 
Needs a Job

Bill that is the exact setup I'm running except I running 600's up front 150 rear 3rd gen shock and revalved front coilover setup. My bars are 35/25 w/ the 21 sitting in the garage waitin to be put in. If I can pass inspection next wk and track this mysterious clunk (new adj upper & lower arms) I'd be glad to give you a ride so you can decide for yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:30 am 
Cool Newbie
 WWW  Profile

Hey that would be great!
I just looked at your profile. Really nice looking car. I really wish mine was here, but I'm using the shipping money for mods, so its not too bad.
Are you going to the Bitburg event?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:17 am 
Needs a Job

I'll be there regardless can't say bout the car though. I'll know more this evening what exactly is wrong w/ it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:16 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  Profile

I have the Eibach pro-kit, BMR lower control arms, Granatelli panhard rod, BMR strut tower brace and J&M subframe connectors. All I need now are shocks, and I'll be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:15 pm 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

I was going to go with 35/25 swaybars myself but I ran a thread at LS1.com and the suggestion was that this would add weight and make the car flick into oversteer at the first opportunity. Some autocross guy suggested upgrading the front bar to 32 and leaving the rear bar standard which was apparently a Sam Strano recommendation! As a result, I bottled the 35/25 and went the BMR 32/21 route. As soon as they arrive, I'll let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:35 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
As a result, I bottled the 35/25 and went the BMR 32/21 route.

I don't know how much more difference the 35/25 would make, but those BMR sway bars are pretty solid and strong ... no comparison to the original POS GM put it our cars ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:58 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  Profile

Those heavy duty sway bars are really overkill if you ask me.. :D 32 up front, and 21 in the rear is all you need!! ;) It all comes in real handy when you're constantly driving at 160 on the autobahn..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:19 pm 
Needs a Job

Jack you didn't think it was overkill on my car. Or did you and you just weren't telling? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:32 pm 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

Jack, stop changing your photo, my head is spinning. I know that car from every angle. What's an Opel Homburg and who is the guy you have a downer on who sux ballz? I think we need to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

I will have 6cyl spring with HAL's soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:29 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
Jack, stop changing your photo, my head is spinning. I know that car from every angle. What's an Opel Homburg and who is the guy you have a downer on who sux ballz? I think we need to know.

Homburg is a town in Rheinland-Pfalz/Germany... I believe he is hating the Opel-Dealer there... because all he got from his car is those pictures in every angle, right now?
... but them 'sux ballz' I do not know either :-dunno:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:00 am 
Cool Newbie
 WWW  Profile

My thinking with the larger bar in the front is that I can keep a relatively soft spring rate to keep the car from skipping over bumps and still be able to keep body roll down to maintain camber. I will be autocrossing the car evry weekend I'm not at a track next year, so camber control will be very important. A 32 may be enough though, that's why I want to compare them before I buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:14 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  Profile

Lusifer, Mr. Rimmlinger is the guy who talks to me in a very condescending manner. He never tries to really work with me, only SCREW ME OVER!! I'm trying to get higher-ups involved right now, so hopefully I'll get it all straightened out by the time I get back to Germany...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:06 pm 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Jack, maybe you should take my offer to come with you and talk to this guys... sometimes I can make things work out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:09 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  Profile

Maybe you could go with my wife!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:43 am 
Needs a Job
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
Maybe you could go with my wife!!

Absolutely not a problem, I will go with your wife.
As long we are having some success to get your good running car out of that Opel shop.
Can't read your whining no more. :P ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:23 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  Profile

I'm just sick of the way he talks to me. And for him to yell at my wife, that is just bullcrap. The first time he talks to her, he yells at her?? WTF? :-rant: