F-Body Europe

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Coilovers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:24 pm 
No Life
 WWW  YIM  Profile

OK, I am planning my spring mods, and have spoken with Sam Strano Jr. about a koni setup wit coilovers and a front 35mm hollow bar.

You on here that have done suspension mods, you know who you are, :twisted: Please chime in! Would this be agood setup for around $1400?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:46 pm 
Needs a Job
 ICQ  Profile

I guess so...? I have a Koni/Bilstein setup with stock springs and a solid 35mm front bar and I LOVE it! :)

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:32 pm 
Needs a Job
 YIM  Profile

I've got Koni/Bilstein with Eibach springs. Still got a stock sway bar, but that thing is sweet!

I think coilovers would be overkill unless you plan on riding along side Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:41 am 
Cool Newbie

Are these GC coil overs? They shouldn't set you back no more than 400 buck for those and springs another 2 bills. Don't know what Koni's go for so I can't say. Coil overs aren't overkill as long as it's setup right. Personally I wouldn't have it any other way. Adjustability is key instead of set setting IMO.

The bar is a good choice just make sure you have the rear to match depending on your spring rate and what you want to do w/ the car.

I run Eibach springs 600lb linear front and 150 rear w/ a 3rd Gen bilstein revalved rear shock. The front I had revlaved as well w/ the piston cut since I ride lower ride heights. I use a solid 35mm bar up front vs hollow though w/ a 19mm bar out back. Sometimes I run the 25mm out back when I feel nutty. :D

All in all a good price but I think maybe it could be a little lower but that's just me speaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:17 pm 
No Life
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Thanks for the replies. The Konis are running around 650 and the 35mm bar is 200.

I am not familiar at all with coilovers! I am just wanting to set up this car right the first time. I have BMR adj LCAs and Panhard with poly in the rear. Due to that it was suggested to me to go with coilovers among other things.

It ssems like a lot of money to me but I know there are a few around here that I figured had some experience with them. Is there a quite noticable difference in day to day / high speed autobahn driving?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:36 pm 
No Life
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Anyone else, "He said POOP" does a person have to beg??????????????? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:12 am 
Needs a Job

RTZSS wrote:
Thanks for the replies. The Konis are running around 650 and the 35mm bar is 200.

I am not familiar at all with coilovers! I am just wanting to set up this car right the first time. I have BMR adj LCAs and Panhard with poly in the rear. Due to that it was suggested to me to go with coilovers among other things.

It ssems like a lot of money to me but I know there are a few around here that I figured had some experience with them. Is there a quite noticable difference in day to day / high speed autobahn driving?

Well to be honest coilover isn't going to affect your autobahn handling as much as the spring/shock setup. Coilover just add to adjusting ride height, camber, and tightness of the suspension depending on ride height. The other benefit to them is corner weighting the car for certain tracks if you are really hardcore in racing. I purchased mine for all the reasons above but mainly to get over the pit when it's time for inspection over here.....then after I'm done I go back down to 26". :D Do you need them? No. But if you want adjustability then go for it. Plus changing out shocks is a breeze compared to the traditional spring strut setup for the front too.

Hope that helps some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:30 pm 
No Life
 WWW  YIM  Profile

John, thanks! I am not so much worried about being able to adjust them but am wanting the car to sit as low as I can get it to sit and still be able to run the 17x11s in the rear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:43 pm 
Needs a Job

Just remember if you want to go that low on 315 tire have the fender rolled or you'll have your very own racing stripes as well. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:51 pm 
No Life

John,
Aren't you running 17X11s on yours??? If so did you have yours rolled?? I really want to go to 17X11 all the way around, road racers in the states are now running them at all 4 corners. Since I have to sell my current set of TT2s I was seriously thinking of going to the G-2 Coilovers and having a custom set TT2s made for the new brake set up.

Larry, With the 17X11s you would need the adjustability in the shocks like John said or your going to be tearing up some tires. Roy's got the G-2 set up on his car and the install was a breeze, adjustability was super easy!! Do yourself a favor, buy a spanner wrench it will make adjusting them go alot faster.

[img]http://www.fbodyeurope.org/gallery/110_Image098.jpg[/img

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:27 pm 

i´d testet 11 X 17 with 315/35 ZR17 on my camaro with bilsteins HD and HR-Springs. The tires are scratching, absolut bullsh..
I put back my 9X17 WS6-wheels with 275/40 ZR17, now everything is good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:20 am 
No Life

Jens, I read an article lastnight on getting 17X11 to fit on the Firebird and Camaros. The rims for the Camaro need to have a 50mm offset and the rear fenders still need to be rolled on the inside. The Firebirds can get away with 36mm offset. I would imagine that a body shop could roll them for you for cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:43 am 

it was not only because of the scratching. Driving on the autobahn was also terrible, because of the "Spurrinnen". I don´t know the word in english :( It is better to drive with my 275/40 R17.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:51 am 
Needs a Job

Val is right w/ the information. Firebirds and TA's have bigger wheel wells and can run w/ either a 50mm or 36mm 11" rim out back. Most go 36mm however on the birds and TA's. For us YOU WILL need to roll the fenders and go w/ a 50mm offset.

Val I run 285's on all 4 corners w/ 11" wheels all 4 sides. 315 rubber is too much jack for me. I'm cheap what can I say? :D Besides I like the way the car handles on the 285's vs the 315's. Less sidewall deflection in the turns if you know what I mean and weight too. :)

I had my fenders rolled for good measure when I repainted last yr. Plus when I return I'll be going to a 12" rim out back and 335's for that classic look. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:29 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

better like that, those wheels were nothing ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:34 pm 
No Life

Looking at maybe going to a 18X9 (265/35/18) up front and 18X10(275/35/18) out back, can I get away with this without tearing up the fenders???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:43 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

No probs with that size, you just have to watch out that the offset is right. Birds have usually larger fenders than camaro, so shouldn't have problems with that size at all.

Why not go 275 all around?

I have 275/40/17 all around and it drives awesome!

Vadim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:58 pm 
No Life
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I am having the fenders rolled and I am trimming the bumpstops and am going to knock in the inner fenders a little as well.

I inquired about the spanner and ws told they came with it.

I really like the 315s in the rear but was concerned as too how much I could drop it with them on. I guess time will tell. I do like the fact of knowing I will be able to raise it a bit if I need too.

Again, thanks guys, I wish I understood coilovers better, I would say I will in time. :twisted:

BTW, does anyone want to help me put them on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:16 am 
No Life

Larry,
I'd be more than happy to help. If my new work schedule will allow for the time off I'lll help. Right now I'm working 7 days a week until FEB 4th. I haven't even had time to fix the wife's truck. Please let me know how the rooled fenders come out as I'm really interested......might need to get the Firechicken done.

Candyman,
My car came factory with the 17X9 WS6 275/40/17s on it. Wanting to get into a different set of rims but am limited by the big brake setup that is on the car.

John, do you think that I could get away with the 285s on a 9in rim??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:45 am 
Needs a Job

Val a 285 on 9" rim is no problem. Some tires are wider than others w/ the same dimensions. Firehawks come to mind w/ their 285 being narrow compared to other brands. But yes they'll fit no problem. Trust me Val you won't ever need to roll your fenders unless you putting some big meat back there.

RTZZ you won't have a problem once the fenders are rolled. My boy over here has 315's on his Fiske in back and is slammed lower than myself. His only issue is he didn't listen and roll his fenders so he take bumps in the road w/ great caution. He didn't even bang the inner wheel well either w/ no rubbing issues whatsoever but each car is different too for some reason.