F-Body Europe

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: TUV and Spangdahlem VS 1985 T/A
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:42 pm 
Cool Newbie

I recently failed a POV inspection at Spangdahlem AB. It failed for uneven rear hand brake pressure(3000 left and 700 right) and the last was TUV inspection needed for suspension and frame. Just to give you a bit of installation history, I had the following installed on my T/A in 2009: Spohn Subframes, Wilwood Street disc 4piston brakes front and rear, spohn coilover shocks with OEM replacement gas front and QA1 double adjustable rear and Strange Dana 60 rearend.
The TUV in Bitburg went just alittle further with the following: They had a little concerns over one weld but said it was okay. The coilover springs and shocks and the wilwood brakes and adapter plate for the brakes did not pass. They said that they would have to test the springs, shocks and brakes which would cost 3000 t0 4000 euros. I asked what they needed from me and they said specification, data on the above. The guy also said that the wilwood brakes had no rubber seals, well that's impossible because if it did not, how would it work. He really meant dust cover on the pistons. I am glad he did not say anything about the T-5 trans which is not stock or the Dana 60. I will get as much info to him as possible. I have already called Spohn, wilwood and QA1 and they are willing to send me as much as possible. Looking at cost 3000 to 4000 euro vs removing coilover springs to replace them with Elbach spring which were on my car before would be more economical; however, the brakes swapp would be degrading because the wilwoods are 4 times better then what i had. Maybe 1Le brakes are comparable but will they pass TUV. Brothers, I need you advice. I hear the DEKRA inspection is easier. Can I take my car to another inspection agent after one has already failed me? He did not stamp my registration. I need your inputs, advice. One thing before closing, He wanted to write me up for my steer unit but I told him that it was a stock replacement from AGR. The spohn Lower A arms he thought were upside down. I bought the A arms with spring boxes, well the box is facing up to the hold the spring. The inspector was nice but sometimes i thought he was clueless. Thank you for your time.

Post subject: Re: TUV and Spangdahlem VS 1985 T/A
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:08 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

darkphoenix wrote:
Can I take my car to another inspection agent after one has already failed me?

AFAIK, you can go to any TÜV/Dekra/etc. place authorized to do inspections required for the German registration ... even after one fails you ...

Anyway, sounds like a lot of BS to me - even an "Einzelabnahme" shouldn't run you that much ... (plus, we're not talking self-built POS parts, but commercially and in the US fully street-legal parts ... which are an improvement over stock parts, too)

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:02 pm 
Headin' for a divorce

Take 30 dollars and go replace your registration at the registration office cause you washed it and you need a new one to get the car inspected.
If the parts on your car are painted red, paint them flat black.
Then go to ( sent you a PM because its top secret) and get your car inspected.
Be nice be courteous and you should be okay.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:32 am 
No Life

Theres always somthing isn't there.

You said you failed at Spang. So, why are you trying for a TUV? Roy has an excellent work around if they were to have stamped your registration as a fail.

Black 01 6spd SS # 5971 - AFR, FAST, Nick Williams, SLP, Kooks, Borla, Kirban, Spec, Moser, BMR, Spohn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:48 pm 
Cool Newbie

After they failed me at Spangdahlem for trevail stuff( hand brake and leaking transmission, On the report card or write up sheet they give me listing the writeup. They added in the remarks section TUV or DOT required on Frame and Suspension. I know what Roy suggested but aren't these writeup sheets they stamp and catalog in their PCs, so there is a record. After they failed me, I had to non op the car. Now i am using Temp plates and registration.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:58 pm 
Headin' for a divorce

No there is nothing typed in the PC about why you failed or even recording that you failed.
I have been down this road plenty of times, and you get different results at different inspection stations.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:16 pm 
Cool Newbie

Ok, Is there anything in writing stating that since I am stationed at Spangdahlem, I can only use spangdahlem inspection station? Have you heard this anywhere?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:03 pm 
Headin' for a divorce

Nope , you can go to any testing station you desire to. Once you get the pass on your paperwork, go back to Spang , pay your 30USD and get your permanent plates.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:25 pm 
Cool Newbie

Roy wrote:

I Hope this isnt true, about to install about 3k of UMI Red parts(K-member RR, Adjustable ChromeMoly A-arms, ChromeMoly Shock Tower Brace, ChromeMoly 3 point sub frame connectors, ChromeMoly Panhard rod, ChromeMoly Lower Control Arms) Strano Springs, and Bilstein Springs... (and kooks Long tubes :ok: )

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:44 pm 
Cool Newbie

Thanks Roy then I'll get some flat black and paint all my red stuff. I was also going to order spohns K-member and i just order the LSX engine mounts. I have spohn A-arms which the TUV said passed, said nothing about my BMR tower brace, Spohn subframes which passed, Spohn panhard rod or LCAs but they did not like spohn coilovers or the Wilwood brakes. If they were looking for test or specification then why did he ask about the stuff he passed like the Spohn A-arms. He wanted to fail me for my stock replacement AGR steering unit. I told him it was a stock replacement, I guess stock part are not supposed to be shiny or red.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:34 am 
Needs a Job
 ICQ  Profile

Newbiewar wrote:
Roy wrote:

I Hope this isnt true, about to install about 3k of UMI Red parts(K-member RR, Adjustable ChromeMoly A-arms, ChromeMoly Shock Tower Brace, ChromeMoly 3 point sub frame connectors, ChromeMoly Panhard rod, ChromeMoly Lower Control Arms) Strano Springs, and Bilstein Springs... (and kooks Long tubes :ok: )

Well, it definitely helps. All the aftermarket parts on my car are black. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:26 am 
Cool Newbie

BenZ28 wrote:
Newbiewar wrote:
Roy wrote:

Well, it definitely helps. All the aftermarket parts on my car are black. :wink:

you know your probably right, but the worst thing is, I'm putting on an LS1 aluminum drive shaft, and I'd say that will be my weakest link... but they probably wont even notice it...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:57 pm 

Ok...last time i will say it...( go to topsecret place that Roy mentioned)... that dude was humming and passing my car (orange Z). Granted i do not have that much stuff but he was pretty easy. Even my Tahoe (after Spang fail) with an oil leak. sometimes the travel is worth it.

{Edited to keep it on the hush. When you have station that is reasonable you want to keep it off the net. Best to PM }{edited by Roy}