F-Body Europe

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: What's up y'all....
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:36 am 
Fast Newbie
 YIM  Profile

Coming to the Weisbaden area around August. I've been lurking for a few days, reading up.
Really looking forward to getting back to Germany and getting the SS on the autobahn and numerous tracks.

Any help with getting my car over there (from Hawaii) and safety inspected would be greatly appreciated!
I've read a few posts where people had issues with ground clearance and exhaust levels. With mods in sig, do y'all think I'll have an issue with passing inspection? (I do have a cat that sits at barely 3 inches).

Thanks for the help,

Scott

Lid,ASP U/D Pulley,LT's,Custom H-PipeTD's , FlowMaster 10 series, MagnaFlow High Flow Cats, LS6 intake, P/P TB,STB, SFC's,LCA's, Adj PHB, QA-1's and Redline Motorsports street/dyno tune. 336rwhp/351rwtq

Post subject: Re: What's up y'all....
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:46 am 
Needs a Job
 ICQ  Profile

Welcome! :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:01 pm 
Headin' for a divorce

Welcome Scott
11cm clearance for exhaust and hard parts such as frames. This equates to 4.33 inches.
You will have to adjust your QA1s to get to that height.

This is the testing criteria for exhaust
Quote:
The tester must be located 0.5 meters away, at a 45-degree angle from the exhaust pipe, and the instrument must remain level with the exhaust pipe as shown below. The exhaust noise level will be tested with the engine at idle and during acceleration up to half the permissible revolutions per minute (rpm) for the engine. This test must be conducted at a distance greater than 50 meters from surrounding structures.

So test it before you come over. 95 decibels is the max.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:08 pm 

"This test must be conducted at a distance greater than 50 meters from surrounding structures."

This ^^ is funny stuff because this past year when they did the db check on my car they backed it off the inspection ramp right out the door and set the measuring device on a bucket and did it right there....there was another building well within 50 meters. I think I came in at 96 db's or so...but I still passed it somehow.

Scott, I think you'll just squeeze under the limit...but honestly I'm not sure. I had to have another y-pipe made just for inspection purposes because my exhaust was hanging to low during the inspection. After the inspection is over I just swap them back out for the 3" y pipe.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:21 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

HowdyZ_28 wrote:
Coming to the Weisbaden area around August. I've been lurking for a few days, reading up.
Really looking forward to getting back to Germany and getting the SS on the autobahn and numerous tracks.

Welcome! Too bad the season is more than half over by the time you get here, still glad to see there's still replacements for the members we lose to show up ... :)

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:41 am 
Fast Newbie
 YIM  Profile

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Roy, you mentioned adjusting my QA-1's to get enough clearance. My buddy installed my QA-1's while I was deployed and set my front end 1/2 inch lower, so I know I can at least bring it up that much. Do you happen to know how high I can actually adjust the QA-1's?

Also, I'm tracking NO aftermarket tint at all right? Now, I bought my car in '05 and was told the mirrored tint was stock (it's 30% I believe). Will I be good with this or should I go ahead and take it off?

I'm in the process of finding someone on Island that can test my decibal level. I REALLY don't want to have to change my exhaust set up just to pass inspection! lol
Which brings me to another question: Is Germany like the 'States, in that there's always a place you can go to "pass" inspection?

How many of y'all drive your car in the winter? I plan on getting a DD/beater so I don't have to but was thinking about getting some "winter" tires for my spare rims just in case.

Any other info y'all can think to provide will be greatly appreciated!

Scott

Lid,ASP U/D Pulley,LT's,Custom H-PipeTD's , FlowMaster 10 series, MagnaFlow High Flow Cats, LS6 intake, P/P TB,STB, SFC's,LCA's, Adj PHB, QA-1's and Redline Motorsports street/dyno tune. 336rwhp/351rwtq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:22 am 
Headin' for a divorce

Scott, your shock bodies should be threaded and have threaded collars that you can turn to adjust the ride height. I am sure these collars can be turned enough to give you a 4x4 appearance .
Tint on the windows, if it can be peeled off then its not factory for the Camaro. There was no option for it. Probably a dealer installed item. Its your call, to take it off or leave it on. But if it looks like tint and the inspector is not blind, you will not pass.

I drive my car in the winter but only on dry days. No snow or salt roads for the car. If you can get a beater, get a beater and save the camaro. Buy winter tires for the beater. You will be ahead in the game this way.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:20 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

HowdyZ_28 wrote:
How many of y'all drive your car in the winter? I plan on getting a DD/beater so I don't have to but was thinking about getting some "winter" tires for my spare rims just in case.

You do not want to drive your F-Body in the winter ... It took me about two days to clean off all the rust spots on the body of my 2k Firehawk that had been driven in the winter by the previous owner ... and the rust spots were all over the underside of the car and engine bay ... I just looked at a 99 yesterday that has not been in the snow (presumably, according to the prev. owner) - from first inspection, there's not a single visible spot in sight ...

Wet roads and truckloads of salt do US cars in ... I guess the protection just isn't up to German salt levels ... plus, a set of winter tires will most likely be cheaper for a beater, plus it won't hurt as bad when you slide of the road with it than with your nice car ;)

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:28 am 
Needs a Job
 ICQ  Profile

Winter yes, snow no.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:18 pm 
Fast Newbie
 YIM  Profile

Quick update for the reason it's been over a month since I've posted: I was told by my branch that I would be coming to Germany. Turned out I needed a 1 year curtailment approved by my chain. They denied it so I thought that was it and I wouldn't be going to GE. Almost a month later I get a call from branch saying don't worry about the curtailment, your going anyway. I was like: WTF!!!!

Anyway: so as of right now we will be going back to GE in late summer, but I'll know FOR SURE when I have orders in hand. lol

All that matters is that we're coming back to the land of awesome food, fast roads, and a great culture!

I'm in the procces of finding someone on Island that can measure the db level of my exhaust.
Need to raise the car an inch or two. lol
And find out the cost of shipping the Camaro from Hawai'i to GE! (I have a feeling this is going to hurt lol)

Thanks for all y'alls help so far, any other info you can think of that will aid my family and I's move it would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:54 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Good luck on getting that assignment, sounds like you want it ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:26 am 
Headin' for a divorce

Scott
If you are shipping one car make sure your orders state authorized POV shipment at Government expense. That way the government picks up the tab.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:59 am 
Fast Newbie
 YIM  Profile

Yeah, I'm trackin' that POV has to be authorized on your orders.
We're shipping the family car on uncle sam's dime and shipping the Camaro on ours.

And yeah Garry, I want this assignment :) It's not something you come across every day. ;)

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:25 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

From what other members mentioned on here before, going through private shippers can be more safe for the car than the government shipping ... ;) Also, if you can, you could set stuff like rev limiter or speed limiter to some low value to keep the car from being beat on during shipment process ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:12 pm 
No Life

I have shipped 2 cars on my own dime and will be doing the same going back in July. All of them go through Bremerhaven. It is cheaper by about $300-400 to just have it shipped there, but it will be about a 5 hour drive each way for you.

It is probably better to adjust your QA1's before they try to load it onto the trailer.

Black 01 6spd SS # 5971 - AFR, FAST, Nick Williams, SLP, Kooks, Borla, Kirban, Spec, Moser, BMR, Spohn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:25 am 
Fast Newbie
 YIM  Profile

Chevroletfreak wrote:
I have shipped 2 cars on my own dime and will be doing the same going back in July. All of them go through Bremerhaven. It is cheaper by about $300-400 to just have it shipped there, but it will be about a 5 hour drive each way for you.

It is probably better to adjust your QA1's before they try to load it onto the trailer.

What company do you go through to have your vehicle shipped? Do you have their contact info?
Apparently MATSON inc. is the only company that ships to and from Hawaii and they do not ship to Germany!
So I may have to go through two companies just to get it to Germany.. :(

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:20 pm 

Ouch...sounds like that's going to cost you even more $$$.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:03 am 
No Life

Yeah, that does not sound too promising. I have used DAS Global for all of mine so far.
http://www.dasglobalservices.com/

I would look into Transglobal though. That is who the military uses to ship cars here. They may have a route from Hawaii.
http://www.tgal.us/

Black 01 6spd SS # 5971 - AFR, FAST, Nick Williams, SLP, Kooks, Borla, Kirban, Spec, Moser, BMR, Spohn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:40 am 

My Cobra is currently waiting for me in Wiesbaden. From people I have talked to Wiesbaden is an easy place to pass inspection...take that for what it is worth.

AEM Meth Injection

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:16 am 
Fast Newbie
 YIM  Profile

Fast GTO wrote:
My Cobra is currently waiting for me in Wiesbaden. From people I have talked to Wiesbaden is an easy place to pass inspection...take that for what it is worth.

I hope thats the case!

I see your in Schweinfurt. I was there from '98-'02. Had a great time there! I LOVED having the Kreuzberg monestary just 30 mins down the road. :)

Scott