F-Body Europe

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: man I feel bad for doing this
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:44 pm 
 YIM  Profile

But I've got a question.

Fbody's are pigs just like Mustangs.

I've got the Brembo 4 pot 13 inch front setup but the pads suck, in the rear I have an 04 Cobra IRS with the stock rotors and pads. The way I drive this ain't working out for me.

The rotor's are still good all around, but what pads would you guys recommend. I know the serious Racer here is Roy, and I've seen the lightweight Focus alot on the Autocross, what pads would yoru recommend for me guys?

It's part of the down time, I want a pad that bites decent under normal driving but bites good once you warm them up. Only pads I have experience with are EBC Greenstuff on my GTI - horribly undersized brakes but the pads helped alot. And some Hawk HPS back when the were hot off the shelf and I was driving GASP, a Honda.

What are the track guys running here, remember, I'm just over 400 hp and a Convertable. HP will be going up by May of next year though thanks to a deployment:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:18 am 
Headin' for a divorce

For me I run Pagid RS44 (orange) pads. These pads do a decent job of slowing my car down. Downside of the pads are the yell when cold and dust alot . But thats not a problem for me.

Post subject: After some research
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:27 am 
 YIM  Profile

I have Pagid pads on the front, 410's or something to that effect. They are pretty much shot though, I now know why I have cold brake squeal and horrible brake dust though:)

I think I'm going to switch to some Brembo rotors in the rear and go with HPS all the way around, unless someone has something against thier pads. I could use a little bit more bite in the rear.

What brake fluid do you run? Will Dot 4 work best for me or go up? I do drive my car, and I do take it to the track. Not the best driver and I need the most work on brake modulation and setting up for the corners a little better, but I will heat them up pretty good on more than one occasion, or more than once a month:)

Thanks Roy, and everyone else for your opinions.

BTW, I'm ordering a cooling kit for the front as well for the Brembo's, mainly for my trips next spring/summer to the ring. I will get a couple of 6 lap passes for the green hell before I ship her, but she needs a little TLC before she's ready for me to put her out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:11 am 
Needs a Job
 ICQ  Profile

Well, you write you're driving it on the "track", is that AutoX only or is it a track like Nuerburgring/Hockenheimring?

For AutoX I'd think that maybe the Hawk HP+ work "good enough".

I'm using Hawk HT10 pads on stock LS1 calipers with brake cooling ducts, they work "OK" when cold and are really good when hot. They're perfect for the Nuerburgring and good for Hockenheim. I'm thinking about a brake upgrade (Porsche, Stoptech, ...) though to reduce maintenance costs and to have better performance on the Hockenheim track.

Brake fluid: DOT4.

Ben

Post subject: Sadly
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:07 pm 
 YIM  Profile

This set of pads will get quite a bit of time on the nuremburg ring and Hockenhiem, but only in the beginning of thier life. They will probably see Sebring track days when I get back to florida, and Autocross use more often towards the end of thier lives.

I'll get some DOT 4 soon as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:14 pm 
No Life

I really like the feel of Wilwood's E-compound. The downside is that they make a lot of noise and dust. Next time out, I'm going to try either the BP-10 or BP-20. If you want to be really hardcore, the H-compound is a favorite for the HPDE/Roadracing guys

http://brakepads.wilwood.com/01-selection/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:42 pm 

You don't need DOT 5, you'd have to flush your brake system before using it. Its full synthetic and I don't think it's worth the cost for a street car.

1999 Formula Firehawk (stateside storage)
2007 Z4 M-Coupe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:54 pm 
Headin' for a divorce

Actually I think the correct word is Silicone . That is what Dot 5 fluid is. It has the highest dry boiling point of all brake fluids, but has a wet boiling of 212degrees of Farenheit. The reason for the low wet boiling point is the fact this fluid is not Hydroscopic.
Now Dot 5.1 is synthetic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:25 am 

Yea, I meant silicone. It can't be mixed with regular brake fluid.

1999 Formula Firehawk (stateside storage)
2007 Z4 M-Coupe