F-Body Europe

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: 3 Month Anniversary of my crash. (news for you)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:10 pm 
Cool Newbie

OK guys, today is the 3 month anniversary of the crash, haven't really told anyone on here about it. I'll just link the thread from LS1TECH.com. Oh, and we gave the car away mid November for $75 to the scrap place on Taylor Barracks in Mannheim, Don't know if the engine is in it still, or if it's still there, may be worth a look. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/1056913-almost-3-month-anniversary-my-crash-news-you.html#post10953807

Post subject: Re: 3 Month Anniversary of my crash. (news for you)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:38 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Wow, that s@cks, glad you both got out relatively safe ... from the description I would have expected more destruction of the car ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:07 am 
No Life

Might I suggest a few days of ADAC Advanced Drivers School before you get back behind the wheel? Glad you made that out ok but too bad for your friend.

2013 Focus ST250 in the USA
1st car 77 Camaro Type Lt 5.0 auto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:59 am 
Fast Newbie

Crikey. Sounds like a big smash (didn't see any photos though) but not as big as the handbags between you and the other geezer ! :D

Reading that makes me question my own responsibility when driving that fast. I brought my Z28 to Muncih from England last Sunday and just before Ingolstadt I stuck my foot down and gave it some beans. I held about 142mph for 2 or 3 seconds before returning to my cruising speed of 85-90mph.

I couldn't resist it any longer, it had to be done. I'd driven some 500 safe and ordinary miles already and now I was well into Germany, the road (A9) had cleared a bit and every 5 seconds somebody was speeding past me doing WELL over 100mph. Not perfect conditions because it was dark but it was dry, the engine was well warmed up, there were 3 or 4 lanes, the road was straight, some importance should be placed on the fact that I was alone and most of all it wasn't illegal.

How to justify it ? Well, I'm human, the car is capable of it and if you wrap yourself in cotton wool for your entire life you die having had a very boring life.

On the other side, I put my own life at risk and I have 2 young children. I also took a small chance with the lives of other roads users who I should not expect to be aware by looking in their mirrors because very often they do not.

I consider myself to be a fantastic driver, not because I'm fast but I think I'm fairly safe. I spot dangers everywhere where most people wouldn't even consider it and I put that largely down to riding motorbikes.

I think you got very unlucky on the A5. I wrote off an old Toyota a few years ago on the A5 towards Darmstadt because someone didn't look. I missed all the other cars, span mine like an old 45" and managed to continue my journey after taking a short breather on the hard shoulder. Got away with it in other words.

You're 18 so if you do get another performance car I'm sure you'll be a little more aware of the dangers next time.

Go careful out there chaps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:59 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

apart from the fuel economics, I rarely drive over 140-150k ... mostly, I couldn't go any faster anyway due to heavy traffic or idiots who keep pulling over even though there is faster traffic coming from behind ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:16 pm 
Cool Newbie

Pictures are up... http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=7428

Well I got back behind the wheel about 1 week after the crash. They say you should anyways. Even my friends mother was saying, while her son was laying in a coma, it would be best if I drove a car again ASAP. They are car people as well anyways (he's %100 English) Hid dad used to own i think a 76 Camaro that he rebuilt. They also do Rally driving and the sorts.

I was looking into the ADAC drivers course even before my crash, as far as i've heard, the military pays for it? I'll look some more into it.

As I said in the other thread "I'll correct my self, YES I will drive fast like that again, but I will be %100 more carefull. I already am even with the 95 hp beater i'm driving, I slow WAY the "He said doin the nasty" down when I come to cars in the right lane, I don't want to repeat my mistake."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:27 am 
Fast Newbie

Read some of your posts on ls1tech. I am a MP in HD. you cannot blame the other driver 100%. You need to maintain control of your vehicle at all times. If you cannot stop a vehicle at 145mph, you should not drive that fast. Especially on a two lane autobahn like that. there is no escape route. you are lucky your friend is alive. Did you get charged with anything? If not you should have. Typical situation. Young overconfident driver, car with some hp and then it most usually ends up like this. I've seen cars in the HD area wreak havoc on the city such as a nissan skyline, dodge neon srt4, ws6 transam, a wrx. guess what. all young male american drivers who thought they could handle the power and then end up totaling the car. Again you and you friend are fortunate to be alive. i hate seeing cases where innocent people get killed because, as you put it " like speed and power, and will abuse both". you are talking about beating on a 95hp car already. Some people just don't learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:58 pm 
Fast Newbie

I agree with armymp. Ive owned sports cars for a very long time and was humbled very quickly when I first started Autocrossing about 6 years ago. Figured my vette was the ultimate Autocross machine and I didnt have to lift my right foot from the floor on the whole track, until I ended up spinning out and broad siding the timing trigger. Had to pay for the timing trigger and the hole in my rocker panel. Im sure all my experiences on the track saved me quite a few times on the Autobahn though. And I never pass up the chance to put a Porche in its place, I just do carefully, and not on corners.

'03 Z06- Twin Turbo, 8 PSI, Dual Tial Wastgates, Tial BOV, SPEC Stage 3 clutch, Alum Flywheel, Hurst Shifter, Methanol Injection, Lingenfelter GT7 Cam, Comp 921 Springs, 2 Bar Map Enhanced Tune (Self Tuned) AEM Wide Band 02.