F-Body Europe

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Scanner for rent?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:37 am 
No Life

Does anyone have access to LS1 scanning equipment? I am running extrely rich and have fouled a second set of plugs in less than a month. I am planning on an HP Tuners purchase, but I have to put the funds towards wheels/tires right now. I have ordered 3 more sets of plugs from the states, but I would like to figure out what is up with it before burning through them.

Black 01 6spd SS # 5971 - AFR, FAST, Nick Williams, SLP, Kooks, Borla, Kirban, Spec, Moser, BMR, Spohn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:42 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

;) Well, looks like that's one BIG advantage of EFILive over HPT: You can do a FULL scan & logg of any supported vehicle without having to pay money for a license ...
I could help you on that, but apart from Dec 9th I probably won't be in the K-Town area ... maybe you can get together with Roy?

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:34 pm 
No Life

Do you know of a trial version of any tuners that I can scan my car with? I could not find one for the LSX's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:44 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

You will always need hardware to connect the car to the computer with, so "trial" is a bit hard ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:41 am 
Needs a Job

Brian even after you regapped the plugs they still foulded out? Geez...:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:35 pm 
No Life

No I have not regapped them. They were still set at the low .035. That is why I am on my way to get your gapping tool :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:27 am 
Headin' for a divorce

Brian
It sounds like your tune might be a so called tuner hack.
If larger injectors were put in without adjusting or guess adjusting the IFR table and or the AFR table , then I can see the plug problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:18 am 
No Life

It was just dyno tuned in New Jersey by a LS1 Tech sponsor. I have never dealt with them, but I know they exist and they have been very helpful to me. On the flip-side, I am pretty sure it is a glitch in the tune. I pulled the plugs last night to clean them (they are only a couple weeks old). There was so much fuel in them from the last time I tried starting it that they would drip when I turned them over. It is seriously dumping fuel for some reason.

Unfortunately, it still would not start after the cleaning. I guess it is going non-op today. Arggggghhhhh.

New plugs are on the way and I am hoping for HP Tuners for Christmas. I will probably be looking for assistance if/when I get it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:19 pm 
Headin' for a divorce

Any way to change your mind and go with EFILIVE instead of HPTUNERS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:57 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Just looked through ... e.g., configuring SpeedDensity instead of the regular MAF tuning costs an extra credit for HPT ... (free w/ CustomOS through EFIlive). Just hooking up and reading a vehicle to HPT costs you credits, even if you don't want to change a single setting ... if you want to go Turbo, it costs 2 extra credits ... with EFIlive, no matter what you do with a car, all it costs you is a VIN license ...
If I understand the website correctly, you need the Pro-version if you want to hook up a Wideband-O2 ... which is pretty much essential for a decent tune ... so that's $649 ... you can pick up a V1 unit of EFIlive commercial (which includes full flash of the PCM e.g. for custom OS) for $549, or the V2 version for $749 (which then includes standalone flashing of tunes, Blackbox logging to SD-flashcards, real-time scanning & display of PCM parameters, so no more bulky notebook for basic things ...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:32 pm 
No Life

Quote:
Any way to change your mind and go with EFILIVE instead of HPTUNERS.

Does anyone have either that I can view/try?

Truthfully, I have not seen either operate and this will be my first attempt at tuning anyhow.

From the comparisons that I have seen, HP Tuners is cheaper. The only thing I saw that was missing was the ability to record to the black box. Since it is already "tuned" I don't think I will have to change much anyhow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:45 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

You can Download the EFILive software from their homepage (http://www.efilive.com), it will happily run as a demo and let you play with everything ... e.g., load a PCM tune and check out all the stuff ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:11 pm 
Headin' for a divorce

I do have the V1 version of EFI LIVE . I can read your PCM , datalog it but I willnot beable to flash it. That would cost a license. Problem is my schedule is so hectic I don't know when I could help out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm 
No Life

Roy, if you can come up with ANY time to do it, I would love to have the car scanned and see EFI live. Like I said, I have not even seen a tuning software except for a very little bit of Silas' which is in another league altogether.

As far as the software goes, HPT just seems to do more than EFILive and is a$100 cheaper. It will also work on many other vehicle types if the need arrises.

Here is a comparison chart of the features:

http://mysite.verizon.net/whenn1//HPTvsV2.pdf

Oh yeah, I am not trying to knock either of them. I just don't have the experience with either. I would actually prefer to go with something that others around here know to operate as a safety net.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:16 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

The comparison is right for the most part, though slightly biased. Some features that the HPT-hardware has no way of implementing (as Stand-Along tuning, displaying of values on the handunit, etc.) aren't even mentioned, stuff like "real time tuning" compares apples and oranges (HPT implements something that feels like real time tuning, but is only a bi-directional control that only allows a very limited control, whereas the Roadrunner implements "real" real time tuning of ALL parameters).
As for price - get the V1 connector, doesn't cover that many motors, but has all the essentials you need (IMHO covering more generally needed/wanted stuff than HPT)
If Roy can't get around to it, and you have another 2 weeks, I could come down before the 1on1 meeting ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:22 pm 
No Life

Great points. Thanks for the info. I really would like the real time tuning, but wouldn't that be worse if you put in something screwed up while you are driving it? I would think you would be more apt to cause greater damage.

Can you explain what the custom operating systems (OS's) are?

Quote:
If Roy can't get around to it, and you have another 2 weeks, I could come down before the 1on1 meeting ...

If you can find the time, I would love to meet you and check out the software. I just put the car in non-op today so I will have plenty of time. The only thing I am waiting on is the set of plugs. I tried cleaning the ones in there last night with no luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:52 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Real Time Tuning is nice, but for most people not really necessary (IMO). For professional tuners, it saves them a lot of time, as you can feed back real time data into the tune to get to results faster than tuning, test-run, modifying the tune, etc ... for info: when doing my SD-AutoVE tune, it took me about three cycles to get pretty close for the AFR tune.

EFILive has Custom OSes for several PCMs (LS1 99 and up e.g.) that implement certain additional features, like e.g. Turbo'ed motor, Nitrous support (dual settings controlled via an input line), SD-controlled fuel injection instead of MAF, etc. ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:41 pm 
Fast Newbie
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Brian....

I need in on this action... So Garry or Roy if you get time to help Brian out let me know when ...
I too was "Dynoed" by LS1Tech Sponsor just before the Bird shipped and I think my "Tune/Dyno" was cut short.

Plus I want to take Central Texas Collage courses that give me my ASE so I need to start picking brains and getting all the knowldge I can......

Brian you still have my books any info in there on these question? I haven't read threw them so I don't know what they have in them....
Also if your running NGK's the gap is .055 ....at least thats what I got off InstallUniversity.com
also check out http://ls1howto.com/ it's pretty good too.

Brian give me a call sometime this weekend, days after 3pm..I work this weekend but I want to talk about this issue

jamie

ZO6 SLVR 17X9.5 on all4, Kuhmo, Koni sngl adj., Eibach 1.5drop, PowerSlot Rotors,Hawkpads

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:49 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Hm ... could come down a day early (Dec 8 ) for some logging of your two cars ... on the 98, could even do some tune changes as it's covered by the stream license ;) anybody else? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:52 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Brian, Jamie, you have email ...