F-Body Europe

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Swap Camaro 98 for pickup truck
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:35 am 
Cool Newbie

Just a question to the forum.

My Camaro 98 is a great car but probably a little bit too fast ... according to the cops in Belgium.
Apparently, they love US cars because they again took a picture of mine. But this one will cost me a fortune and a few months without driving license. I know, I should slow down, but it's so hard to resist the temptation letting the horses speak.

I'm therefore seriously considering to get rid of the car and swap it for pickup truck.
As I have horses (animal ones), it would be convenient to have a truck for pulling the horse trailer (which I decently cannot do with the Camaro because of the image). And it would also reduce the speed shown on the pictures taken by the cops.

I don't know anything about US pickup trucks, so I'm asking the forum.
Do you think there is any chance that I could get a decent US pickup truck for the price of the Camaro?
The car has 50.000 miles and is a collector (30th anniversary model with pace car paiting).

Thank you in advance for your advices.
Michel

Post subject: Re: Swap Camaro 98 for pickup truck
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:35 pm 
No Life

Yes, I think you should be able to swap for an older pickup. Is your car US spec or European spec? If it is Euro, then you will have problems with the swap because the car is too new to import into the states. So, it would have to remain here.

What year is it? You said 98, but I am assuming it is a 97 since you said its a 30th anniversary.

On the flip side, you would be MUCH better off selling on the economy.

Black 01 6spd SS # 5971 - AFR, FAST, Nick Williams, SLP, Kooks, Borla, Kirban, Spec, Moser, BMR, Spohn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:39 pm 
Cool Newbie

Brian, thanks for the reply.
The car is indeed from 97 (my mistake).
It was US specs (as the previous owner was an American who bought it new in the USA) but I've modified it to the Euro specs (just changed some lights) in order to have it registered in Belgium.
What do you mean with "selling on the economy" (sorry, I'm not a native speaker) ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:22 pm 
No Life

I was suggesting that you sell it in Belgium because you would probably be able to make more. Then, just use the money to purchase a truck.

Unfortunately, as nice as your car looks, they just are not selling for very much in the US. I would guess it would be tough to get $5000 for it stateside. I am guessing that you could get almost twice that in Belgium.

Black 01 6spd SS # 5971 - AFR, FAST, Nick Williams, SLP, Kooks, Borla, Kirban, Spec, Moser, BMR, Spohn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:59 am 
Cool Newbie

I might indeed be better off selling it here in Europe but only to a buyer who doesn't pay road taxes because in Belgium for instance the yearly taxes for such a vehicle amount to 2.300 euros/year, and nobody (except me) is willing to pay that.
On trucks, the taxes are much lower because they are considered as utility vehicles.

But anyway, in light of what you told me, I think I will keep the car and try driving slower. Not sure I can ...

Edit : typo

Last edited by Camaro97 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:26 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Put it in mobile.de or similar in Germany ... might find a more inclined buyer here ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."