F-Body Europe

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: build my engine
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:32 am 
No Life

I posted this over on LS1 tech and would like to get opinions for ya'll too.

at the same time, I'm going to do the clutch and suspension, but I'll figure out all of that later.

Quote:
I need some help deciding what all needs to be done to my car. I've been beating on it pretty bad for the last 4 years and with the exception of the intake, cat-back exhaust, spark plugs, wires and fluids, the rest of the drivetrain is factory origional. I'll be headed back to the States this winter and when I get there, I'm going to have someone go over the car and give it a good refresh. My primary use for the car is AutoX (building up for SM2) and track days, but I do want to keep it "street legal" (read, I don't care about comfort and don't have to get inspected, but don't want the cops to jump me the second I pull out of the driveway :jest: ). What I'm looking for is a good reliable engine with a broad powerband.

This is what I know for sure:
Radiator/oil cooler
Accusump
LG Pro Long Tube Headers
new cam (maybe heads too)
underdrive pully
belt tensioner
catch can

What I have questions on?
-Timing chain - Which one is best. Is there any need for a double roller? what all is required to make a double roller fit. Or would it be better to stick with something like the Katech chain?
-oil pump - I know Katech makes a ported oil pump. Anyone else make a better one?
-cam - I know this is a big question. I'm looking at the G5X3, but would like to hear recomendations for other options
-valve springs - which ones
-push rods - same questions
-rockers - any need/benefit to replacing them?
-AIR system - any reason to keep it? What all do you have to do to remove it?

**The big question**
What else should I have replaced while the engine is apart?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:11 pm 

Depending on how big of a cam I would at least get dual valve springs so you won’t have o worry about breaking one and causing more damage. Gm high tech performance did a story one crate engines if you could get your hands on a copy of it. I don’t remember what month,,, I have the issue at home I will look or maybe check there web site.

2000 WS6 RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:33 am 

give me a call in a week or so. I can point you in the right direction with the engine combination. I will PM you my number. I am on leave right now and will be back on 29 July.