F-Body Europe

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: c'mon masses give a brother direction
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:48 am 

I can do this, but only one time (destruction of a product and wear or product are understood and excepted)

This is what I have come up with.

2 companies, Nu-tek and Combination Motorsports. 2 products, 396 (cuz 383 is to mopar :) ) built to handle the occasional 150 hit, meaning she will be set up N/A (as I understand it, a N/A motor built right is a N20 motor to a point, especially on a weeny shot like 150hp)
355 built for 10-12psi. Obviously the cost of a S-trim ways in here. No pro-charger, it will be Vortech or not at all.

Pros 396 - n396 usable/streetable, with the added strain only when activated. Safer with a longer life
355 - mucho wow facter with the death whistle (its a water pump bearing going out I tell ya!!) Power all the time

Cons - 396 more torque on demand, but hp is in the heads as we all know.
355 - more maint required. when the blower goes, so does the motor. 9 times out of 10

cost is a toss up, unless the motor is done right for a blower, then the blower motor is close to double the stroker(do the math if you disagree).

Now, I smell the smoke, and I can see the gears turning.....Why doesnt he build a 383/396 blower? Easy, a stroker will not return the same boost that a 355 will. The real questioin should be why not blow a 350 instead of 30 overing a perfectly good short block. Answer is easy as well, if im gonna blow 4k of ching on a blower, I want a professionally built short block, and they dont offer a 350.

So giving the conditions I have set. 2 companies, no kits that I out-source machine shops, and stroker, blower choices.....throw me a bone :) (oh yeah, that 10-12psi is through a cooler so its more like 14-16psi)

I have all the safety/suspension/fuel components , and just about every bolt on made to cover everything else, I'm just looking for a heart.

Thank you for your support
Rob :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:41 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Nitrous... if u hide it good nobody knows u have it, you can claim your stock. You cant hide a blower.

:lol:

1.869 60'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:22 pm 

badazzlt1USA wrote:
Nitrous... if u hide it good nobody knows u have it, you can claim your stock. You cant hide a blower.

:lol:

your right, but im not looking to hide anything. besides, its alittle hard to explain the rollcage and lumpy idle as stock :lol:, so I might as well complete the package. Money wise, N20 will cost the same to do as a blower if you are gonna really do it. (not throwing on a 75hp shot, but building a nitrous motor along with the goodies) and if I was gonna do that, it has to be direct port.

My biggest issue is I cant see spending the money to do a 355 when for 500 or so more dollars the bigger cubes are available.

One more option I have is to run a bottle brush thru my cylinders, re-ring it, then spray the hell out of it with my TNT kit until she pukes. Then my hand would be forced. I'd have to get a new motor....hrrmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:38 pm 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

RobH wrote:
One more option I have is to run a bottle brush thru my cylinders, re-ring it, then spray the hell out of it with my TNT kit until she pukes. Then my hand would be forced. I'd have to get a new motor....hrrmmm

:twisted: Why would you replace a perfectly good engine? Let us know how much juice it'll take before you can adjust your valves through the oil pan. :twisted: Oh, video or pics would be appreciated. :lol: Have fun! :mrgreen:

http://members.cardomain.com/dumaisk
http://community.webshots.com/album/113580439DwJndn/0
Yes, I'm a caraholic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:08 pm 

makes more sense when you say it....

I guess I suffer from the dreaded "engine envy" syndrome so common in this hobby. I think I'll go sweep the garage and clear off some workspace, time to break something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:10 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Hmmmm I would say spray the hell outta that ford....
maybe it will be as fast as the camaro ;-)

I ALMOST ( 2 lengths) caught a 2003 Supercharged Saleen Cobra Mustang at houston fri night.

I had him untill after the 1/8th where his ass just barely started creeping by....

Oh well I am all stock except:
programming, gears, headers, and slicks

He Had supercharger, and slicks...

This guy was only the 2nd mustang the has EVER beaten me out of racing about 50 of them

1.869 60'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:06 pm 

badazzlt1USA wrote:
....Oh well I am all stock except:
programming, gears, headers, and slicks

He Had supercharger, and slicks...

This guy was only the 2nd mustang the has EVER beaten me out of racing about 50 of them

So what your saying is the cobra was bone stock except for the slicks, right? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:16 pm 
No Life

Dude I'd go for the cubes.... you can't beat displacement!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:56 pm 
No Life
 ICQ  Profile

Well I don't know. You have steered toward the juice all along. At least as long as you have been on this board. I think if it were me, I would go supercharger. Well I am going supercharger. So maybe that affects my opinion. But my original plan 1.5 years ago was a N/A 383. But I am so stoaked about this 355 blower motor that will be in my car by june. I think I will have a little mouse that bites everyones head off. Shoot I might even upgrade to an F-1 or a YS vortech.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:42 pm 
Needs a Job

Well being a 396 myself that can handle a 300 shot it's hard to make a choice. It all depends on the use of the car. If you truly aren't gonna drive it on a daily basis and run the piss out of it on wkends alone then I'd say stroke it and slap the juice on. Only thing don't have it bore more than 30 over. Mine's 40 over so once it goes it's done. I'm not a SC fan at all just because of the abuse it puts on a block even w/ the intercooler and all. I know they are safe to use but like you said 9 out of 10 when they go they take the block w/ em. That's even more scracth then to rebuild the bottom end on a stroker. Being in the states and w/ all the limitations in the restriction of speed .....torque is what you need and the stroker is the way to go.

Having said that if money wasn't a issue stroker and some turbo's are ultimate. That's my project in 05' when I return to the states.

Good luck Rob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:20 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

well, I blew my motor up last wednesday, and after weighing in on all the options, I think im going to build a 383 nitrous motor 550 hp or so n/a and 800 on juice........wonder what my so far unbreakable 10 bolt will think of THAT!

1.869 60'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:05 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Hm ... I'd go displacement, too, N/A and maybe later on blower or something ... no matter what anybody says - Nitrous is hard on the motor, and will tear it up earlier or later, and earlier it will be if you go beyond "sane" shots (if there is such a thing as a "sane shot")

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:58 pm 

I would go boosted and It would be ProCharger. I have a Vortech right now and everything about the ATI is so much better than Vortech. Being self contained is a biggy. Plus ATI comes standard with intercooler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:15 pm 

That is the push and pull between vortech and ati. After cooler is better for short runs. Intercooler is better for daily driver.....But, self contained allows the blower to grenade and not fill your crankcase full of unwanted metal.

BTW, I'm currently dealing on a used S-trim that is supposed to be complete. (still in the begining stage, so I dont have all the details. But for 2k, its worth a look see)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:47 pm 

I am going to go to ATI when I get state side and I am going to get rid of this Vortech. I am planning on saling my engine with Vortech and go with a 347 from D&D with AFR 185 heads with an ATI D trim Renegade set up. Good for 600 to 700+ horses. Ill have a friendly 8 to 8.5 compression with 20 lbs of boost. Talk about a lot of supporting and resupporting. I have to go with a 9 inch rear end.And a whole lot more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:11 pm 
Headin' for a divorce

RobH wrote:
That is the push and pull between vortech and ati. After cooler is better for short runs. Intercooler is better for daily driver.....But, self contained allows the blower to grenade and not fill your crankcase full of unwanted metal.

BTW, I'm currently dealing on a used S-trim that is supposed to be complete. (still in the begining stage, so I dont have all the details. But for 2k, its worth a look see)

Just for clarification intercooler and aftercooler one and the same , it comes after the compressor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:03 pm 

Roy wrote:
RobH wrote:

Just for clarification intercooler and aftercooler one and the same , it comes after the compressor.

I was meaning, aftercooler = vortech(air to water), intercooler = ati(air to air). Its what they call it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:42 am 
Headin' for a divorce

Yeah ,thats what I thought you meant same terminology just different wording.