F-Body Europe

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Cat Converters
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:37 pm 
 YIM  Profile

So whats the big build up about the cat? I've taken them out of everything I have ever owned and had no problem. But, I've told due to the LT-1 its a bad idea.

Right now it sounds as if I'm dragging a couple of cans underneath (nothings hanging?) and all signs point to the cat.

I will be leaving Germany before my inspection comes due and won't have to worry about emissions where I'm going.

Here are the options I'm thinking:
1. Do away completely
2. Buy a new cat
3. Hollow out the inside of the one on the car

Any words of adivice will be greatly appriciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:54 pm 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

If you remove the cat, you would be illegal just about everywhere in the states. (even if they don't inspect) Although, hollowing them out will be unnoticiable to those looking at it... If you do either of these, you will have to purchase O2 simulators so you don't have any codes.
Your best bet would be to visit Summit Racing and pick up a new cat for under $100 and not have to worry about the "emissions police". You won't lose much horsepower, if any, with a good high flow cat.
JMO

http://members.cardomain.com/dumaisk
http://community.webshots.com/album/113580439DwJndn/0
Yes, I'm a caraholic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:26 am 
 YIM  Profile

How do the simulators work in conjunction with the o2 sensors?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:50 am 

I'm guesing from your username that your car is a 94? If that is the case, your car wont know if it has a cat or not, so you can just yank it. If you hollow it out, and it was still serviceable it is junk and if you need another, they can be pricey.

You could also get an offroad pipe and throw it in there instead.

A side effect of hollowing the cat is that fuel will like to settle in the cat and give you a nasty pop every now and then.

People have said that the LT1 needs some backpressure, and without the cat you'll lose torque. Whether that is a dyno proven fact for your car, ??? but that is the word on the street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:56 pm 
 YIM  Profile

You are correct. I do have a 94 Z. I have heard, of course not dyno tested, about removing cats. I have heard you only lose a couple of ponies though.
I've ordered a Hooker cat-back system and I think I'm gonna try just adding pipe to make up for the missing cat. I'll take it from there.
But, thank you both for your help. The sand and sun kinda fried my brain for six months and I'm trying to get back in the saddle.