F-Body Europe

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Lets get serious..
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:13 pm 
Needs a Job
 YIM  Profile

Ok, winters coming and my car will be here soon. Time to rebuild. Instead of putting in a 396 (for right now), I was thinking about that LT4 conversion. The kit goes for roughly 2K and says 425+HP. Has anyone gone through this?

For 2k, I'd like to see a little more HP. I was hoping around 500 from the engine.

Anyways, you guys have been great with help so far. Lets see what you can do with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:25 pm 
Needs a Job

I had the old LT4 conversion before and ran for 3 yrs before the I hydrolocked the engine. Heads were gasket matched to the intake and w/ shorty headers and 3" exhaust. Nice power gain and would outrun stk LS1's w/ exhaust and headers all day. It's a proven combination and if you tweak the pcm may gain more. I dyno'ed close to 385 @ the wheel but my car was a factory freak. Ran a 12.4 @ 111mph on street tires and 3.23's out back in a M6. My partner did that in my car cuz I couldn't drive for chit. :) Still can't. LOL

I miss that thing too no headaches at all. Strokers? Headaches don't ask me why it's just more cubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

425 hp. is from magazine article, where thay tested this combo using longtube headers and Motec engine management system. As you are probably not willing to invest into Motec, you will see less hp.

My car has lt4 conversion and hooker shorties. Best trap speed is 108 mph and best et is 13,2. We don't have any dragstrips here, so high et is due to slippery street pavement. So my results are not so good as said above, may-be it's weaker car, not so good tuning (fastchips mail order) or may-be I can't drive ?

I have been running this setup for four years (bought the kit in '99 already) and it was new thing on the market then. Today, general consensus is, that for the money get your stock head done and together with more radical cam you will make way more power than with lt4 kit.

Post subject: Re: Lets get serious..
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:13 pm 

Daddy2K3 wrote:
The kit goes for roughly 2K and says 425+HP. Has anyone gone through this?

For 2k, I'd like to see a little more HP. I was hoping around 500 from the engine.

LT4 is a solid route. It will cost more than 2k, but is a nice foundation. Just make sure you know what you want in the end. Just a power increase? Neato looking Intake? Factory power "reliability"?

BTW I started out this way, and more likely than not would do it again. Its kinda nice getting all the pieces in one kit that are matched to each other.

The 500hp thing. Not gonna happen. You'll need to buy atleast 2 1/2 Conversions to do that. Atleast at a 350ci and NA. Course then I dont know if it would be alot of fun to drive around then either???