F-Body Europe

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Valvetrain issues!! Need some ideas.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:42 pm 
Needs a Job

Got the car back and this thing is clickity clackin like no other. THEY said it was fine.....yeah right! :roll: I took it because it was just unacceptable and incompetence on their part to think that I'd be satisfied. Figure Ryan and myself can track it down. To no avail though. Re adjust the rockers and it's still there and it's obvious. Before she went down smoothe as butter so what's changed? 4 new valves that's it. Snatched the intake off to look deeper. Metal shavings for one inside. Oil gear plastic mount broken. All pushrods are straight as a arrow. Could having the springs reshimed incorrectly cause this nightmare? Heads were milled how much don't know I will find out though. Doesn't look like much based on comparison to a stk head we have laying around. Next is to pull the header off and then the head.

We don't know what it is. We replaced the wires and plugs for gp thinkin maybe that was the cause but nope. Header leaks? Nope and it gets louder w/ increase in rpm. Bottom end is fine. Oil pressure fine, temps are fine. But this clickin is ridiculous. Listen to ryans and it's butter smoothe and he's running comp pro mags but like I said before my engine died mine was butter smoothe as well. We even had Ray take a look at it and he figured wire and plugs as well. No power loss, no stumble, idles great but SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT!

So if anyone has any suggestions it would be great because we are at wits end here. I'm not taking it back to them asses because the are not competent. I'm running the gamut because I'm pissed. They took my optima battery, killed my ignition box, took my AC Delco oil filter and used some bs filter, installed some german spark plugs that are hot, smashed my valve cover trying make it fit on the alternator side instead of thinking opposite side, rockers were less than hand tight, and last but not least torqued my clutch @ 75lb and smoked a brand new Street twin w/ less thatn 5K on it. All for 2500 bucks. Oh but they only got 1100 they will NOT get the rest esp since I got the only receipt and there is no info on it at all as to who they serviced.
How do I know this? Because I did the receipt for them and it's the only copy w/ no signature!

ANYWHO if someone has any ideas please chime in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:07 am 

What all did they attempt to do? Was the engine out, or just alittle top end maint?

Kinda hard to say, from what you described, you went to the usual suspects. You pretty sure its internal, and not some other metal to metal?

I'm kinda curious myself. If I ever chase down my low pulse resolution problem I'll probably inherit the crazy clatter also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:46 am 
 YIM  Profile

Oh thats an easy problem to fix...get bigger speakers and an amp :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:46 am 
Needs a Job

See whatever section. You ain't gonna believe this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:33 am 

depending on how much the heads were milled your pushrods could be a little to long

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:42 pm 
Needs a Job

Stk pushrods can take up to .060. That's pushing it though but it's proven safe. Mine were only .020 at most. Adj rockers help as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:03 pm 

well if i could hear it i would probably be able to help i have built many engines. on our swamp buggies back home for airboats and so on. sure it may not be a bad lifter, bad lobe on cam, are you sure it is coming from the rockers maybe i could come take a look at it for ya i have a good ear for engines ask RYAN :lol: