F-Body Europe

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: LT1 To LT4
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:07 pm 
 YIM  Profile

Summit is running the LT4 conversition kit right now for $ 2,300. It includes heads, intake, cam, the whole 9 yards. PN: NAL-GMP3287-1. I've convinced myself to buy it to be my first stateside project. The questions I have:
Can you use the stock:

1) Ignition
2) Water pump
3) Altenator
4) Valve Covers
5) Optispark

I haven't found anything that says you can't. Eventually all will be upgraded, but for right now I have the given amount to drop on the car plus enough for a Painless wiring harness. Just kinda curious. If anybody has intel please let me know. It either I hype up my '94 or build up my '92. Kinda growing fond of the '94!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:18 am 

For the most part the answer to your questions is yes. The only issue you will run into is with the opti-spark. The HOTCAM is designed for a 95+ vented opti. Obviously it can be done, cuz Hawk did it with the one I sold him.

If your gonna do it, I would recommend getting a remanufactured one from autozone, for $125(opti that is). As far as the water pump, you'll have no issues but electric pumps are fairly cheap and much better. You'll also need a 95+ timing cover (great time to step up to a single roller cloyes (LT4 setup) or do alittle grinding of the cover and get a double roller. Cheap insurance to swap chains, and cant be overlooked.

You'll also need differant pushrods to maintain good valvetrain geometry (8.250 I believe??) as long as your under the valve covers go ahead and swap in some 7/16 studs.

Basically there are alot of things that can/should be done while the car is apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:53 pm 
 YIM  Profile

Ok thanks. Seems like a fair price for a little more power. Plus I won't be as dependent on the car once I get back to the states. Plus parts are gonna be 10 times easier to get on demand. I've already got the nitrous system waiting for the LT-4!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:31 am 

Just keep in mind that the plain vanilla LT4 conversion is gonna be about 40-50hp max more than your making now.

For the money vs. hp it is one of the more expensive routes. It is factory, and the pieces fit, and its in one tidy package, just know up front that there are cheaper/stronger options. That is always the tough choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:20 am 
 YIM  Profile

Well, I'm kinda lookin' for a Q&E (quick and easy) method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:30 am 

if i were you i wouls get my stock lt1 heads P&P becuase they will flow better than stock lt4 heads then go with a cc305 cam and 1.6 rockers that whole kit is way overpriced for the power it will give ya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:04 pm 

Since I like to beat a dead horse, here is my parts recomendation:

Comp Pro-Magnum
pushrods
rockers
springs

Comp High Energy 224/230 or 230/236 (steeper ramps open valves much faster than the older 305/306 cams) although nothing wrong with the HOTCAM people make good power with them as well. I have a 224/230 cut on a 111lsa if you want to hear it. It matches up well with the CC305 and HOTCAM.

LT4 Heads (ported LT1 flow better than stock LT4, but ported LT4 ....)
LT4 Intake gasket matched

Then most importantly no matter what you do, get it TUNED!!! Thats where your power will be. You may pick up 30+ from a decent tune.

No matter what you do, shop around. Scoggin Dickey sells CNC'd heads for about the same as the plain vanilla ones, and Pace auto parts sells the HOTCAM kit for about the best price you'll find. Combination Motorsports sells some good heads/cam packages as well that will be a 1 kit deal. And budget another 750-1000 for the complimenting parts or your leaving alot on the table. (water pump/tune/exhaust)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:39 pm 
 YIM  Profile

I'll start checking into everything. Thanks again for the input!