F-Body Europe

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: HELP!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:39 am 
Fast Newbie

I finally went drag racing and the results were less than amazing. I made four runs and someone else even tried a run and got a worse time than me.

ET 15.290 sec

VS 88.96 mph

RT 0.792 sec <--Reaction time bad I know. :bash: My average .5** sec

This was my best time for the night. I am losing power somewhere and I am pulling my hair out trying to find out where. I have cooper cobras in the back and I already know that I have to get those rolling bricks off.

Has anyone ever had a problem with unexplained power loss. The car is in the shop right now. I am having valve cover gaskets and front main replaced(were leaking). I am putting in new bosch platinum plugs, a new opti-spark, having the injectors cleaned and flowmatched and having a new fuel filter installed. Also having lash taken out of valve train.

I know that altitude has a lot to play in it and while El Paso is fairly high, I still don't think that my numbers should be this low. When under WOT anything over 3/4 thottle doesn't appear to make any difference. Have I reached the max potential of the stock LT-1 heads? Do I need a cam or to replace lifters? Should I upgrade injectors? AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

Wish I had you guys in Texas to take a look-see-here. The car was dynoed here and I almost cried.

226 hp
303 tq at the wheels and a curve that looked like someone cut it with pinking shears.

I am going to have a 3" FloTek cut-out installed in an effort to trade off some torque for horsepower.

Any help or insight you guys and gals might have would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

'95 Firebird formula: Moroso Cold Air Induction, Hypertech Power Tuning, MSD Super Conductor Wires, Vortec Intake Elbow, Edelbrock TES Headers, Edelbrock 3" Cat Back, Eaton HD Posi Diff, 3.42 gears, Tranny Upgrade, De-screened MAF, 2.5k rpm Torque Conv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:22 am 

You definatly have a problem somewhere in that car. Your numbers do not represent your mods. After you get the work done, try again. I think your Opti might be your problem due to the upper RPM load possibly falling off.

How were your 60' times and 1/8 mile speed and times?

Mav

'95 Impala SS "Motor being rebuilt(again) as we speak. Going Stout NA 383 for the juice."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:40 am 
Headin' for a divorce

my money is on the opticrap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:07 am 
Fast Newbie

Thanks guys. I am hoping that that is what it is. The guy is probably installing the new one as I type this. I hope this solves the problem. For all the money that I have dumped into this car, it is borderline becoming not worth it.

Drop by the El Paso F-Body web site sometime, we could sure use your advice in a lot of areas.

http://www.fbodyelpaso.org

Thanks again,

Chris

'95 Firebird formula: Moroso Cold Air Induction, Hypertech Power Tuning, MSD Super Conductor Wires, Vortec Intake Elbow, Edelbrock TES Headers, Edelbrock 3" Cat Back, Eaton HD Posi Diff, 3.42 gears, Tranny Upgrade, De-screened MAF, 2.5k rpm Torque Conv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:46 am 
Needs a Job

I bet it's your coil and fuel pump along w/ the filter. Plat plugs aren't helping your situation either. Your numbers are extremely low but what size rockers are you running? 1.5 or 1.6? W/ those shorty headers you should be putting close to 280-290 easy at the wheel. Clogged cat perhaps?

More importantly get it dyno tuned if all else fails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:13 am 
Fast Newbie

All of the engine internals are stock. If the problem isn't solved when it comes back from the shop, then I will be off to the garage to have the flow on the fuel pump checked. The car is up for inspection so I hope the cat is ok. It has worked for 92k and it probably does need to be changed out. I could just knock out the guts after it gets inspected and get the new one before the next inspection is due.

Thanks for the help,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:06 pm 
Needs a Job

92K!? Cats should be changed every 50K at most. I'd get rid of that or gut it like you suggested. Good luck and let us know what they find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:33 pm 

Cats can last quite a while if the car has been properly taken care of. 92K is nothing really. I had 185K on mine, and they were still good.

Mav

'95 Impala SS "Motor being rebuilt(again) as we speak. Going Stout NA 383 for the juice."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:46 pm 
Fast Newbie

My car passed emmisions inspections last year without a hitch. I am hoping the cat is still good. I just got off the phone with the mechanic and he said the opti-spark was in real bad shape and my number 6 wire was kinda messed up at the opti end. I hope that this fixes everything. I have a new set of o2 sensors that I plan to install at the craft shop when this comes out of the garage. The cutout is on the way....from summit of course.

Thanks for all of your help guys!

Chris