It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Service Engine Soon Readout
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:54 pm 
Cool Newbie
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Hi Folks,

could not find any information by search so here is the question:

If you are proud owner of a 3Gen , it is no problem to read out the Error Code. As i know all you need is a piece of wire on port A and B at the diagnostic connector (OBD-I).

But: is there any way to read out the ErrorCode on a 4Gen with OBD-II (see pic) without any Diagnostic Hardware? As far as I know the 3Gen-Way doesn't work with 4Gen and the next Dealer with Hardware is about 40 mls away.

Problem: SES Light goes off after starting the engine but goes on after a few minutes of running engine. Cooling Fan is running at high speed without any high temperatures outside or any high engine-temperature. temperature gauge is working in normal range, warm engine at 160 degree fahrenheit like all the years before, engine is running in normal conditions, no noticable problems. First and only Engine modification is K&N FIPK II two Weeks ago.

As a IT-Professional my next job will be a Hard Reset of the ECM (unplug the batterie). Maybee this is hopefully only some kind of "Bluescreen". But if not ...?

Post subject: first thing i do...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:11 pm 
 YIM  Profile

first thing i check when that light comes on....is check the gas cap...2 times ive not tightened it all the way....and it DOES flag this light.

1986 Buick Grand National -SOLD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:42 pm 
Cool Newbie
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Hi,

Thank you but it is not the gas cap because I made a pitstop this morning.

This story is getting more and more "funny". The situation now is that the SES goes on when car is driving. When car is in Idle, example red traffic light, the SES goes out after a few seconds. When Traffic Light goes green and the car is accelerated the SES goes on after a few seconds. Combined with the SES both Colling Fans goes on and off.

WTF is going on with this car?

The Batterie is now unplugged for this night.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:42 am 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

Think you'll have to pay for a diagnostic. The only light I've had on my '98 was the EGR valve which I replaced and have never had any further trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:09 pm 

Hi
I d say check if the temperature gauge for PCM is connected (on the water pump). Since fans are running its likely this is the problem. hope this helps.

Where do you buy parts from? are they expensive? Are there any 4th gen f-bodies in junkyards over there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:49 am 
Headin' for a divorce

It is probably emissions related , but u could check for loose wires , or check the for marder damage , those o2 wires are might tasty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:16 pm 
Cool Newbie
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Finally after a few days of search it seems I found the reason at WS6.com:

Q: Why do the fans and service engine light come on just after cold start?

A: It's probably a blown air pump fuse (20 amp). Take the cover off the fuse box under the hood and locate the fuse. If it's blown, simply replace it. If it keeps blowing, then you probably have a faulty air pump which should be replaced as per the Technical Service Bulletin (#636502).

That's exactly my problem ... blown some fuses to check it out ...

f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k

Is there anybody with Bulletin 636502 at hand?

Is there anybody willing to buy a perfekt full option '95 T/A (except Air Pump) ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:50 pm 
No Life
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Sorry, I don't have the TSB for your car but it can be obtained from http://www.alldata.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:05 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Hm ... that's an old one, came out in '96 ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:18 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Got this off of f-body.com ... http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:49 am 
No Life

I had that happen on my car about 6yrs ago. If you just disconnect the air pump and make sure the fuze is good in the fuze box (engine) The problem will never come back again. There was a recall on the air pumps on the Lt1 motors about 5yrs ago due to moister getting inside the pump and tripping the fuze. I took my air pump apart just to find the filter on the inside complely water logged. I then took the air pump off and threw it as far as I possibly could and never got another one. The only thing you need to do is block off the Egr tree hugging crap at the rubber air pump connect houses. It's an easy fix and it makes changing plugs a little easier. good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:15 am 

If the SES light goes on and off, I dont know if the airpump is the culprit. EGR sounds more in line. Reach behind the intake and see if the valve is stuck.

If it is the AirPump and like guerardsgt said should work (did for me until I had it programed out) or you can just up the fuze to a 30amp. There were a couple schools of thought on the airpump fiasco, one was that the 20amp was to small.

Dont worry about the fans, that is standard data, they will come on everytime you have a SES (atleast in my experience).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:41 am 
Cool Newbie
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

News about my Air Pump with SES on....

At first I unplugged my AIR Pump and renew the fuse so the car is now running in normal conditions. Thank you for your tipps.

But with some help I found out something new and after a few mails to several dealers I've got the cheapest solution you can get for this problem:

The failure of AIR PUMP is a known Problem at GM !!!

There has been a Service Bulletin Doc ID 765035 from Year 2000 with the following condition:

General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emission Campaign involving all 1995, 1996 and 1997 Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird model vehicles equipped with 5.7L (RPO LT1-VIN Code P) engines. The Air Injection Reactor (A.I.R.) pump emission control system on these vehicles may fail to operate and cause the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) to illuminate. This condition may be due to corrosion of a solenoid internal to the A.I.R. pump.

You will find out more information inside this copy of Service Bulletin 765035 http://www.bandit-online.de/main/archiv/gm_bulletin_765035.doc

It took some time because at first I needed to find a german dealer who is able to do garanty or recall - jobs for GM. Not every Opel - Dealer in Germany can do this because they need to be a licensed dealer with contract etc. After finding the dealer I send them a mail declaring my SES problem and the way I found out that the AIR Pump is defective and gave them something to eat with attached bulletin 765035. 3 weeks later I received a phonecall. It tooks 3 weeks for them to verify my wide knowledge and informations about this problem and this bulletin because they never heard anything about this. But they find out that I'm right and the campaign is still running ....

now they ordered a repair set for my car ... for free ...