F-Body Europe

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: ????car is loosing rpms at slow roles
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 12:05 pm 
No Life

I have looked and looked and cannot figure this problem out. I just installed a new cam shaft and some head work not to long ago. And the car runs great the only problem I seem to have is when I let the car role forward or back words not using the transmission just rolling. The rpms drop down to around 4-500 and the car acts like it wants to stall but it doesn't. Once I stop the car it regains a steady idle at 8 1/2 rpms. There are no signs of missing when I get on it the car pulls with no hesitation.

The only thing I can think of is the cam is supposed to act like that or the throttle position sensor,knock module is shot. I went ahead and cleanded all posotive and negative cables on the car just incase it was a ground problem and it wasn't. The reason why this is messing with my mind is besides the loudness of the exhaust the engine runs real smooth all up until I go to role out the drive way. I hit 500 miles finally and I brought the car up to 6200rpm and there is nothing but steady accelleration no skipping in the engine nothing just smooth. Any ideas would be appreciated this is more of an annoying problem than anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 2:11 pm 
 WWW  Profile

How big is your cam? How much work have you done to the heads? The reason I ask is if you have a huge cam in there, hogged out heads, it will idle like crap and you have to get a custom tune done for it to have better manners. My cam is not big by any means but the idle still suffers. I am in need of a computer reprogram also.

Other than that check your vacum hoses. Make sure that you did not leave any loose during the cam heads install.

BTW who did the work for you, I'm in the market for a cam/heads upgrade.

Jeff

Post subject: The
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 3:14 pm 
No Life

Cam is a little bigger than the LT4 hotcam and the heads are not stock so all I did was replace the springs on them to get proper tension on the rollers. As far as the idle it's ruff but not to ruff. I checked all the vaccum lines and there all fine. I was thinking about changing out the plugs if all else fails. Even though there only 5 months old and 4 of those months the car didn't run.

My96Z how big is your cam and does or did your car ever do that. The car is running good and strong it's just that one problem.

Post subject: I forgot
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 3:23 pm 
No Life

I do all my own work on my car. I know how to so I save the money. Plus I don't think I could convince the wife to let me spend 1400.00 to do a cam swap or any of the other mods I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 3:37 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I have the Hotcam. I take it you have the CC305? When you say the heads are not stock, what do you mean, they are AFR's?
Yes, mine did it once awhile back it would idle around 400/500 and seemed like it was going to stall unless I kept blipping the throttle. But it was fine before that and it just sorta happened, anyways what I did was pull the PCM fuse and it went away. Maybe I was just lucky though. Since you have experience with a head cam swap, I may be coming to you for help/hindsight. I have a PCM on the way that is programed by Ed Wright for close to my mods, that I bought off the internet. When I get it, we can plug it in yours and see if that helps, I hope it will be in this week. You ported your own heads?

Jeff

Post subject: my96Z
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:31 pm 
No Life

I got my heads off a friend he had them on his car for a week and then he changed them out. I wish I could say what they are but the fact is they were supposed to be LT4 heads and he gave me the ported LT1's. I'm not sure if they were ported at a shop or if they came from a company. I havn't been able to contact him since I left my last duty station. I was going to pull them off the car but I didn't want to spend more money in gaskets + I need to get a better torque wrench. I'm going to try the pcm and see if it helps any. If that doesn't work I'm going to try the small things plugs,wires etc... By the way the car runs I know it has to be somthing small and stupid it usually is.

And if you need help on doing your cam and heads let me know and I'll give you a hand. I have a garage and all the tools needed for the job.