F-Body Europe

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: New engine Low vacuum, no leaks, runs poor????????????
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:39 pm 

Hello everyone, I am new to your web site but i thought i might give it a try. I bougth a 88 IROC-Z about 3 months ago, i had to pull the engine out because of internal damage, so i bought a short block online and rebuilt the engine and put it back in the car. i have the engine running but iam only getting 7-10 in HG at idle and it runs poor and trys to stahl. i found that the TPS sensor was out of specs so i replaced it, and just to make sure i replaced the IAC sensor as well. i was thinking of a vacuum leak, but i taped up the TB and pinched off the vacuum lines and i fed about 15-20 PSI to the intake and i had 3 o-rings for the injectors leaking so i fixed that. it still wasnt solved! i checked the brake booster for a leaky diaphram it was fine, i checked the EGR Valve, it was fine as well. I just dont know now and iam getting tired of redoing work i all ready have done. iam starting to think cracked intake but i know i would have heard that. the valves are adjusted right. compression is good, vavle seal is good. Any ideas people??????? Please help me I have 6 months left in germany and iam trying to fix up this car so i can take it back to the states.

Post subject: Re: New engine Low vacuum, no leaks, runs poor????????????
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:47 pm 
Headin' for a divorce

Still sounds like you got a vacuum leak or you got your timing off, either cam or ignition or both. The easiest to check is ignition . The ignition timing would be the easiest to check. Make sure you pull the electrical connector plug when you set the ignition.

Post subject: Re: New engine Low vacuum, no leaks, runs poor????????????
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:14 pm 

i tryed to set the timing at 6 degrees with the connecter unpluged but it ran crapper so i advanced it untill it would run. its at about 12 degrees and it idles at 1000 rpms and i know it needs to be at 600. all the automotive books that i have say low but stedy vacuum would be cause be eather timing like you said or a mecanical problem like valves not opening all the way or like a bent push rod or the cam gear not lined up with the crank gear but i check that before i put it together. the company that i bought the engine from put on the timing gears and chain but i did check there work and it was lined up.