F-Body Europe

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: OK now ...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 6:21 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

guys, keep your fingers crossed ... I think I got the car now - hopefully, the other guy interested won't get it ...
79 Camaro, black, 305 engine, rebuilt in 96 and standing in a hall most of the time ever since, interior partly leather, 275 chrome wheels, Edelbrock, and a couple of other new parts ... needs some minor paintjob on the trunk and on a fender ... plus the ignition's not working right now (which dropped the price by another $500 :)). Current price asking is ~$1300, hoping to push it down to somewhere in the $1000-$1100 range ... but get this - only some 49000mi down!
D@mn - the guy also had a 73 Camaro - sold it to a dutch guy for DM 5000,- ...

Hopefully, I'll be going down to Stuttgart next week, take a look and pick it up ... (just wish I could have driven it back ...)

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Last edited by Garry on Tue Jul 31, 2001 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 6:28 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Just checked the VIN data ... the year matches up, it was built in Norwood, and also the engine size matches ... supposed to be the original engine (does anybody have a spare 454 engine? :))

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 7:58 pm 

Good deal Garry! I hope you can get it, that'll be another second gen in the club. If you're planning on modding the engine, I recommend you find a 350, they are a lot cheaper to build and, of course, make more power than a 305. As a matter of fact, I think the 350 Chevy is the cheapest engine overall when it comes to parts (pistons, cranks, etc.)
I'm getting ready to strip a 79 Z28, let me know if you need anything. It does have a Z28 hood with the tear drop cowl induction scoop. And some centerline aluminum rims, front and rear Z28 spoilers. Interior is black (pretty bad shape exept for rear bench). The 350 is cracked, unfortunetly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 8:33 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Sounds good ... as I'm trying to get a nice 2nd, and hopefully this deal works out, I might get back to you on that ... I was hoping and looking for a 350, and am still trying to get a hold of a guy selling one in that magazine they distributed in Nürnberg, I might still end up with a 350 ... oh well ... got to see ... 350 2nds are pretty scarce here in Germany ... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 9:07 pm 

ACTUALLY I HAVE A SPARE 350 IM THINKING OF SELLING. IT HAS A WEIAND INTAKE, CHROME MOLLY SPEED RINGS, HOLLY HIGH VOLUME FUEL PUMP, COMP CAM 272 DURATION CAM. BLUE RACER LIFTERS,COMP CAMS ROLLER TIP ROCKERS, HOLLY CARB WITH HOLLY FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE, I ALSO HAVE SOME SECOND GEN PARTS AND MORE ON THE WAY TELL ME WHAT YOU NEED AND I CAN HOOK YOU UP. OH AND BY THE WAY ALL THE PARTS ARE NEW ON THIS ENGINE LESS THAN 400 MILES AND I JUST REGASKETED THE ENGINE FOR SHITS AND GIGGLES. ITS GOT A NEW PAINT JOB AND LOOKS GOOD. THE ENGINE PUTS OUT SOME GOOD HORSES I HAD IT IN A 87 Z28 AND I SMOKED A 98 Z28 WITH IT ON THE BAHN OH IT ALSO HAS NEW PUSH RODS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 9:29 pm 

Well Garry, get the car, drop 80killer's engine in it and go raise some hell!
Hey 80killer, did you get my email?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 9:34 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

If I get the car, we'll probably get it to run first of all, maybe for the September event, and save the engine replacement and possibly tune-up :-burnout: for the winter ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 6:53 am 

YEAH CHEVY I GOT IT IS THAT A VACUUM CHAMBER YOUR RUNNING OR IS THAT A FLUID WASHER BOTTLE I COULDNT TELL BUT IF THATS FOR VACUUM THEN YOUR RUNNING ONE HELL OF A CAM. GARRY AS FAR AS GETTING IT TO RUN 305 CAN BE DECENT ENGINE IF YOU DROP A CAM IN THEM. BUT WATCH OUT FOR SPINNING CONNECTING ROD BEARINGS THEY ARE KNOWN FOR IT THERE OIL FLOW TO THAT AREA IS RESTRICTED. I HAD AN 84 CAMARO WITH A 305 AND I CAMMED IT . I COULD SPIN IT OUT INTO 3RD GEAR. TELL ME WHAT YOU NEED FOR YOUR 305 I MAY HAVE IT. I BASICALLY HAVE MY OWN PARTS SUPPLY HERE IN K-TOWN.BUT ANYWAY A 305 IS STILL NO MATCH FOR A 350.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 8:13 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Btw, do any of the places (bookstore etc.) on post carry service manuals like Helms or Haynes? Got a Haynes for my Convertible, but might be handy to get one for the 79 if this works out ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:08 am 

I THINK I MAY HAVE ONE YOU CAN BORROW. IF NOT WE HAVE A GOOD BOOK STORE HERE IN K-TOWN ILL CHECK AND SEE IF THEY CAN GET ONE ORDERED CHEAP. IF THEY CANT IM GOING ON LEAVE IN SEPT ILL PICK UP A COUPLE OF COPIES. AND CHEVY I NEED SOME INTERIOR PARTS AND I NEED THOSE SPRINGS THAT KEEP TENSION ON THE HEAD LIGHT DO YOU HAVE ANY?AND HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT FOR YOUR Z28 HOOD? I WOULD LIKE TO GET ONE IN CASE ANYTHING HAPPENS TO MY COWL HOOD. ONE MORE THING BARRY NEEDS SOME FLOOR PANS FOR HIS CAR IF YOU GET THE CHANCE E-MAIL HIM AND LET HIM KNOW IF YOU ARE GOING TO GET RID OF HIM. IF YOU DO HAVE THESE ITEMS TO SALE ILL COME DOWN IN MY TRUCK AND GET THEM. AND IF THERE IS ANYTHING YOU NEED JUST LET ME KNOW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:12 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
I THINK I MAY HAVE ONE YOU CAN BORROW. IF NOT WE HAVE A GOOD BOOK STORE HERE IN K-TOWN ILL CHECK AND SEE IF THEY CAN GET ONE ORDERED CHEAP. IF THEY CANT IM GOING ON LEAVE IN SEPT ILL PICK UP A COUPLE OF COPIES.

I'll let you (well, I guess the board :)) know once I have the car ... once that's clear, I'm interested ... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:15 am 

WHAT OTHER KIND OF CAR DO YOU HAVE? IS THIS GOING TO BE A BEATER FOR RACING OR THIS GOING TO BE YOUR ONLY CAMARO? JUST CURIOUS, I HOPE EVERYTHING WORKS OUT FOR YOU AND YOUR CAR. GOOD LUCK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:22 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
IS THIS GOING TO BE A BEATER FOR RACING

Yup ... that's what I plan on doing ...
Quote:
WHAT OTHER KIND OF CAR DO YOU HAVE?

Hint: see the member page, or this :)
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Last edited by Garry on Tue Jul 31, 2001 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 9:10 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Well... gave the guy another call tonight ... the other guy didn't call yet, and this one's on the way home from Stuttgart, so it's not going to be sold this week ... he's gonna send me the sale contract now, so I guess I got a 2nd gen now ... already updated my signature, and I guess I will have to change the member list somehow to allow for more than one car per user ... :)

Last edited by Garry on Tue Jul 31, 2001 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 9:26 pm 

congrats on the car. what do you plan to do to it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:12 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
congrats on the car. what do you plan to do to it?

Tnx ... first goal, get it to run again ... :) Apart from that, probably not much before the winter ... the next decission will be if the 305 stays or if it's upgraded to a 350 or more ... got to see what shape the current engine is in ... apart from that, my friend has a motorcycle-friend who does airbrush, and I'm thinking about some nice designs already ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:27 pm 

Great Garry, welcome to the 2nd Generation owners group! Let me know if you need help/advise/parts.
I don't know if you really want to do the airbrush thing. I guess it's a matter of taste, but that stuff went out in the 70's. At least don't get one of a naked chick wrestling a dragon or something!
80killer...Yes, that's a vacuum canister, my brakes didn't work right after putting in the cam, it's got a pretty nice lobe to it. How would I get the floorpans from the car, cut 'em out? I'm not sure what kind of shape they're in, the car looks very rusty underneath. As for the hood, I guess I'll see who makes the best offer. I have to get the car first, though. The deal is not set, yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 5:23 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
Great Garry, welcome to the 2nd Generation owners group! Let me know if you need help/advise/parts.

Tnx and tnx ... first thing will be the ignition problem ... got to see if it's a cabling problem or something else ... a guy over at a 2nd gen message board wrote something about checking the ignition module and ignition coil ... I guess if it's any them parts, it will require some replacement parts ... (you don't happen to have any extras of them? :))
Quote:
I don't know if you really want to do the airbrush thing. I guess it's a matter of taste, but that stuff went out in the 70's. At least don't get one of a naked chick wrestling a dragon or something!

don't fear, young one ...:) Nah, probably be something more subtle ... like some realistic (!) flames out of the wheel wells or so ... got to see ... I'm working on some design in Photoshop to see what it looks like ... won't be done before the winter anyway ... just hope to get it running for the September event ... even though the 305 is probably putting out less HP than my 98 V6 ... (I guess with most everything on it still stock, it's around 150 compared to the 193 on my 'vert ...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 5:27 am 
No Life

Outstanding,

I just read where you have purchased a 2nd gen. For whatever reason, they have become the lost gen of camaros/firebirds. That by itself makes it something differant which = kewl :-ok:

Hope it becomes everything you hope it to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 5:42 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
I just read where you have purchased a 2nd gen.

Ain't got the contract or the car yet, but at least on the phone the deal's done ... should work out I guess ... I suppose selling a non-running V8 from 79 isn't that easy in Germany ... :) Once I get the contract, I guess I can stop trying to get a hold of the other guy in the Nürnberg magazine ...
Quote:
For whatever reason, they have become the lost gen of camaros/firebirds. That by itself makes it something differant which = kewl :-ok:

:-dunno: Don't know about that, I just think apart from the mean lookin' front end of current Firebirds, they have one of the nicer looks of the F-Bodies ... sure, I'd take a first gen convertible anytime, no questions asked, but at that price, I guess it's also a nice project car ...
Quote:
Hope it becomes everything you hope it to.

That would be "running", first of all, and yes, I do hope it does, too :) Well, I guess I can always get a 350 and drop it in ... :-burnout:
Hey Robin, when I pick it up, you can have a look at it if you want to - we're heading through Würzburg West on the way ...