F-Body Europe

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:22 am 

When are you picking it up? I'd like to check it out if I'm in Wuerzburg at that time.
It's true that Camaros from 74-81 are overlooked big time, at least in the American Magazines. It's always either a 67-69, a 70 or 71 or something from 82 on. Not everyone will agree, but I like the looks of the late second generation better than the 70-73.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 11:49 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
When are you picking it up?

AS it is planned now, we'll be leaving Fulda somewhere in the 12-1pm area, will probably take us some 3 1/2 hours or so with the hanger (if the road is clear), and heading back up hopefully by 1700 ... we might end up in the Würzburg area by 2000 or so ... I can give you call from the road ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 5:56 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Just got mail from the guy ... confirmed the sale now (he was going to send a fax with the contract, but his Fax didn't work), so it really looks like I'll be owning the second gen by next week (hard to wait - another 5 days and counting ...) Got two hangers my friend is checking into, should be able to get one of them ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 9:50 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

4 to go ... :-burnout:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 12:20 pm 

good luck with the new wheels. you have alot of work a head of you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 10:08 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
IF THEY CANT IM GOING ON LEAVE IN SEPT ILL PICK UP A COUPLE OF COPIES.

Guess I'm going to take your offer there ... Robin checked down at his post, and they don't carry 2nd gen books ... he offered to borrow his manual for now ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 3:27 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Guess another 23 hours till I see the old baby ... :) leavin' 1200 tomorrow ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 9:03 pm 

Garry, when you get it, remove the lower part of the rear bench by pushing it backwards and lifting it up. You might just find the original build sheet from the factory underneath. I've found it there on two Camaros so far, it gives you all kinds of cool info about your car like original color, all options, rear end gear ratio and I think even the date the car was made (Birthday!)
80killer, have you ever had your bench out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 9:06 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

wow ... great tip ... let's hope it's there ... :) Btw, another 18 hours or so ... :D

Post subject: What a POS ...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2001 9:28 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

After 6hours autobahn in a van with hanger and 600km for the round trip, I'm back ... without the car ...

Seems like the guy was only tellin' the truth on it being a 79 Camaro w/ 305 engine ...

- "black" turned out to be dark brown/reddish (I was wondering from the pic, but credited the color to the camera)
- the "very little rust" were painted over rust spots all over the car
- the "rebuilt in 96" must read "half-@ssed paint job in 96"
- "very good substance" - couldn't find any ... don't know what he was referring to there
- "runs super" - well, couldn't tell, as the ignition is out (which he told me). But from the sound of the starter, I'm not necessarily sure it would really run that well ...
- "Interior nice (partly leather)" - most all plastic surfaces in the rear were cracked, color peeling. Only the rear seats were leather, front seat were cloth in good condition, I assume they were replaced or re-done.
- "chrome wheels" - yeah, sure, chrome all right, but with rust spots all over ... (apart from the wheels, all other chrome parts were spotty and in bad condition)
- "good tires" - yep, lot of thread, but all dried out - anything over 60mph will probably tear them to pieces ...
- "been standing in a hall since 96" - sure - must have been a hall with sun shining inside all day long - lots of UV damage on the whole car, front fascia cracked, etc.

Apart from that, the front lower spoiler was cracked, probably from being towed there. Passenger side door opened pretty hard, couldn't check the driver side door as it was standing right by a banister. Hood wouldn't open, had to push from underneath.

Getting to the engine compartment, there's one great thing about the car - you could tell it doesn't leak - never would so much rust have accumulated had there been any oil leak ...

All in all, I guess the car is in worse condition than the ones Robin is stripping ... about the only things that seemed worthy to be saved might be the Edelbrock, the air filter cover, and maybe the rear seats.

Oh well ... back to the magazines and stuff again ... if anybody comes across a 2nd or 1st gen f-body, let me know ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2001 10:51 pm 

I'd be pissed!!!
There's plenty of them out there, just keep looking. Remember to look for one with at least a 350, avoid T-tops, try to get a posi rear end. I wouldn't worry about wheels or paint too much, that can be easily changed. A nice interior and a good exhaust system is more important. Definetly avoid vinyl roofs. Don't be impressed by a bunch of chrome. And remember: People who sell them usually have to because they can't afford them anymore - this means low prizes. I wouldn't spend more than 2000 - 5000 DM, even if you find one that's fixed up nicely. I'd choose a Camaro over a Firebird, they're cheaper to build.
Don't pay extra for stupid mods like side pipes, air shocks or holes in the hood, you'll probably end up throwing that stuff away if your planning to race the car. My $.02
Good luck hunting!