F-Body Europe

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Improving handling on my V6 ...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 1:25 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

With most of you guys here drivin' V8's, I guess there's not too much experience in that area, but ...
I was thinking about getting some improvements on the handling of my litte Camaro. When I occasionally get into higher speeds (like 100 and up), I do have to watch out quite a bit to stay on the road ... especially with the car being a Convertible, the stiffness does lack quite a bit ...
I've read the Conv. should have subframe connectors from factory (didn't check yet), which would be at least one main improvement were they not there ...
What else should be done (without going overboard ...), like pan-hard, sway bar or the likes? Guess I'm a bit spoiled from the 3-series Beamer ... 217km/h max, and still feels like you're sitting on your couch watching TV ... (though the Bird's leather seats on my Camaro are a bit better than the Beamer's)

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 1:34 pm 
No Life

Garry the same mods that improve the V8's will help the v6's also the same parts on the stock V8's will dramatically improve your V6. Check out http://www.bmrfabrication.com he has the best prices and an awesome product. Give him a call or an email and I am sure he won't steer you wrong. Also let me know if you need help with the USPS shipping.....

Post subject: true
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:46 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

I second that !
Just check my Member profile and see my suspension mods, my car is now on rails !
If you are on a budget i'd suggest doing the Polyturane bushings and the GM 1LE swaybars, they help quite a bit.
The most you'll notice from new shocks and spings, for your information Eibach makes springs that will improve handling but not lower it too much as you already seem to have problems with speedbumps :)
If you pick your parts and sellers carefully you can tweak the entire suspension at under $750.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:54 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
but not lower it too much as you already seem to have problems with speedbumps :)

That's one prerequisite - I can't have the car any lower ...
I guess in the States chances might be good to get a decent set of replacement parts from V8 owners upgrading to aftermarket parts ... from what I read at other boards, even SLP makes good deals on GM parts (I guess they got to get rid of all the stuff they take of the Z's and the T/As ...)

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 8:17 pm 
No Life

Hey gary, as far as the suspension parts go check with Randy92z as he has a 94 Z28 that he is parting out. That should be good for the Swaybars and the Springs if you want. Also check out the specs on the panhard rod and Lower Control Arms off of a 99 Trans Am WS6 as I still have my stock ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 8:40 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Sounds good - checking over at firebirdv6.com to see what will fit ... also checked at the SLP website, they seem to have couple of nice packs and parts there ...

Post subject: Suspension
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 9:32 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

The V8 springs are NOT recommended on your V6 as it will set it even higher and you wouldn't want that.

As for lowering, eventhough we have a lot of speedbumps here and the car easy gets grounded (due to long nose) i DID decide to lower it.
I used the Eibach Pro Kit which solved the problem quite a bit PLUS it improved handling !
I've replaced my shocks in Favor of the Billsteins and this dropped it even a bit more.
On top of that i also have Ground FX and i YET have to ground the car !!
Granted that i DO take special care and simply avoid certain spots.

That Airdam WILL ALWAYS scrape, even with the stock springs and that's no biggy as it's flexible.
Like i said, i yet have to scrape the nose itself.
Take bumps carefully or at an angle if needed.

Go for it Gerry,

Post subject: URL
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 9:33 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

Oh, i made a V6 FAQ years ago but most info is still quite usefull.

Check it here:

http://home.soneraplaza.nl/mw/prive/sergio/v6faq/index.html

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]