F-Body Europe

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Quick lesson on the 3.8V6 anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:58 am 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

My gf is thinking of buying a Euro-spec 1999 Camaro 3.8 V6/M5 gearbox. It has only 10k on the clock and is in showroom condition. I know nothing about V6's except they produce 200bhp. I found it sounded a bit whiny but how fast do they run stock, what should I be looking for by way of options etc and what are the best mods for these things? I also heard the suspension was bad. This seemed OK but I only got to drive it round some city streets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:10 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Quote:
My gf is thinking of buying a Euro-spec 1999 Camaro 3.8 V6/M5 gearbox. It has only 10k on the clock and is in showroom condition. I know nothing about V6's except they produce 200bhp. I found it sounded a bit whiny but how fast do they run stock, what should I be looking for by way of options etc and what are the best mods for these things? I also heard the suspension was bad. This seemed OK but I only got to drive it round some city streets.

The 98 and up V6 has 193HP at the rear wheels according to my car papers. Whiny - don't know, the muffler is a POS, would sound a lot better with a borla cat back or something, but ...
Top speed on mine is limited by the computer to 197km/h, which incidently is where you also hit the rev limiter when driving in 4th, so cruising in 5th will leave you some 1000-1500 rpms left when the computer stops the fuel ... :( This might be different if it was delivered with Z-rated tires from production ... anyway, with the stock suspension, the car does no handle well at speeds beyond 150k (or anytime in curves)... hitting bumps in the road will give you the feeling your rear end shifted by 2-3 feet ... putting stronger sway bars in is a definite must ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:26 am 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

That's a nice car. 193PS is 190bhp so it's plenty powerful enough. Where did you get those front wheelarch lips from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:56 am 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

They were on there already ... no tellin' ... guess the previous owner put 'em on to keep the dirt from the 235's from flying all over the car ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."