F-Body Europe

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Hypertech
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:38 pm 
Fast Newbie
 WWW  Profile

Hi,

Hypertech offers a programmer for 2000 - 2002 V6 Camaros.

Does anyone know whether this programmer would work on a Euro-spec V6?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:59 pm 

I know, that the Hypertech-Programmer works with the Euro Z28 Camaro. So i think, the Hypertech-Programmer also works for an V6 Camaro. The euro camaro and the american camaro have the same computer.

Post subject: Is that really true?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:27 pm 
Fast Newbie
 WWW  Profile

If the Euro-Camaros have the same computer as the US Camaros: How is the reduction to 193 hp achieved? According to other forum members, the exhaust is the same. I found a US website that states that the "export versions" have a different engine management.

And I do not believe that the difference exists only on paper: Several US car mags have tested 3800cc Camaros and Firebirds between 15.4 and 15.8 on the quarter mile. That goes for manuals as well as for A4 cars, and most of the cars didn´t even have the 3.42 rear end. Euro Camaros obviously have a hard time beating the 16 secs. Why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:04 pm 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

I thought that the muffler was different. What gearing did the Euro cars get? 2.73s would make a big difference in the 1/4.

http://members.cardomain.com/dumaisk
http://community.webshots.com/album/113580439DwJndn/0
Yes, I'm a caraholic.

Post subject: Muffler?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:20 pm 
Fast Newbie
 WWW  Profile

The Euro V6 Camaros had the 3.42 rear end - in the US this was concidered to be a performance option.

With regard to the muffler I am not sure. Some sources in the www claim that there was a special restrictive "Euro-muffler" for the V6. Most sources though state, that the V6 mufflers where the same as the US base mufflers, and that the V8 versions in Europe received the base V6 muffler, resulting in a loss of 12 to 17 hp on those Z28s.

I know of a garage in Hamburg that claims to be able to get a Borla exhaust for the V6 TÃœV approved - for 1100 Euros. This would be particulary interesting if the Euro exhaust was even more restrictive than the US stock muffler.

But then - I still don´t know whether there are aditional differences in the ECM. I am tempted to get a Hypertech programmer, but I don´t want to spend that money just to learn that it doesn´t work on my Euro V6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:31 pm 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

That's what it was, the Z28s came with the V6 muffler. 1100 EUR! :shock: Can't you just get a Borla and scuff it up (to lose it's shine) and have it pass as stock so you don't have to worry about the TuV? There has to be something out there that can pass of as stock and still give you more power.

http://members.cardomain.com/dumaisk
http://community.webshots.com/album/113580439DwJndn/0
Yes, I'm a caraholic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:05 pm 

They are no difference in the ECM between Euro and US-Modell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:25 am 
No Life
 WWW  Profile

200ps = 193bhp.

The times on one of the US 3.8's was a little creative. I saw one mag get their best run with either the power steering or alternator disconnected. I think that was a 15.8. Remember some American figures are corrected for altitude so they're a bit theoretical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:34 am 
Fast Newbie
 WWW  Profile

[quote="LuS1fer"]200ps = 193bhp.

The times on one of the US 3.8's was a little creative. I saw one mag get their best run with either the power steering or alternator disconnected. I think that was a 15.8. Remember some American figures are corrected for altitude so they're a bit theoretical.[/quote]

I dunno.

According to my researches in the www the conversion from "American" to
"German" hp is as follows:

SAE: American standard. Measured at 99kPa and 25°C. Rated in hp. 1kW = 1.341hp (SAE).

DIN: German standard. Measured at 101.3kPa and 20°C. Rated in hp (ps). 1kW = 1.360hp (DIN).

193 PS (German) = 142 kW

142 kW = 190 hp (SAE)

US rating: 200 hp (SAE)

So the 142 kw of the Euro-Camaros are actually 10 hp(SAE) less than the US rating of 200 hp.

Furthermore the torque is rated indentical at 305 nm or 225 lb-ft, but at different revs: The Euro Camaro needs 4100 RPM for that, the US-Version only 4000 RPM. The maximimum hp in Europe is stated to be achieved at 5000 RPM, in the US at 5200. This indeed sounds like a more restrictive exhaust and/or intake.

With reference to the tests: There are quite a few articles and tests published that read in a way that the actual figuares are stated as measured , not as "altitude corrected".

Here is one from GM performance (The other tests state slightly slower times though, generally just a couple of tenth south of 16.0):

Originally featured in GM High Tech Performance, November 1998.

Unsung Hero
Mustang GT owners, if you haven't taken the '98 V6 Camaro seriously, you're making a big mistake.

by John Hunkins

The base V6 Camaro coupe lives in the media shadow of its LS1 Z28 brother, and that's unfortunate because the V6 Camaro is a great performance car in its own right. From its 200-hp engine to its large 4-wheel anti-lock disc brakes, the lesser Camaro can keep up with any 2-valve Mustang GT and can run circles around import performers.

Chevrolet is modest about its V6 coupe; there are no huge ad campaigns, no big media parties, and no hoopla about big horsepower in the media or sales literature. It's just there, the diamond in the rough waiting to be discovered. Unfortunately, GM's zero-advertising "build it and they will come" strategy hasn't worked. Sales are down and the big-wigs are getting frumpy. Could we be witnessing the last days of the rear-wheel-drive Camaro? If so, they can only blame themselves because this is one hot performer.

Our Sport Gold Metallic test model was equipped with the base 200-horsepower 3800 Series II V6 engine, 5-speed manual transmission, 4-wheel anti-lock disc brakes, tilt steering column, air conditioning, AM/FM cassette 4-speaker sound system, dual airbags, P215/60R16 radials, intermittent wipers and remote hatch release.

For an additional $2,200 over base price, our tester had cruise control, foglamps, power door locks, removable T-roof panels, keyless entry, rear window defogger, N.Y. emissions package, body-side molding and rear floor mats. For some strange reason, power windows and mirrors were not part of our press vehicle, conveniences we missed dearly in the two weeks we had the Camaro.

Realistically, when you figure in the $750 rebate (offered right on the window sticker) and your dealer's best price, a well-optioned V6 should go for around $16,000. As you read this at the model year close-out, you'll likely do even better than this because dealers will be making way for the '99s, which we understand will be virtually identical to the '98s.

For 1998, the Camaro's front fascia has been updated (see "Cruise Missile," May '98), and the Delco anti-lock brake system has been scratched in favor of a new Bosch system that uses a smoother active proportioning scheme. All Camaros receive larger brakes for 1998; 12-inch vented rotors are standard on both the V6 coupe and the Z28, meaning essentially that the V6 gets Z28 stopping power free.

The 200-hp 3800 Series II V6 has been in the Camaro since the last half of the 1995 model year. The simple pushrod V6 has one primary advantage over more sophisticated multivalve engines: displacement. With less output per cubic inch, the 9.4:1-compression V6 is the model of reliability. Even with more cubes, the 3800 sips gas to the tune of 30 mpg on the highway, thanks to its top-shelf DIS and Delco engine management.

Compared with previous LT1-powered F-bodies we've driven, the V6's big brakes were noticeably better. (Autocrossing, anyone?) One major shortcoming was the small tire, which activated the threshold of the ABS a little too early for our tastes. We suggest you check the box for the Y87 performance handling package, which includes the Z28's larger 235/55R16 tires and aluminum alloy wheels. This "must have" package also includes a sport steering ratio (14.4:1 vs. the regular 16.9:1), dual exhaust tips and a limited-slip rear (all 5-speeds keep the 3.23 gears; automatics are upgraded to 3.42 gears from 3.08).

During the Camaro's stay at GMHTP, we had the opportunity to drive the V6 on several twisty switchbacks. The big Z28 stoppers inspired us to brake late going into corners, but turn-in was dicey due to the small tire contact patch. However, unlike driving an SN95 Mustang in similar situations, the Camaro's low center of gravity made the edge of control much more predictable. If you regularly read the reviews of import performance cars, you could be forgiven for thinking the latest Japanese or German micro motor is the greatest thing since sliced bread. High-revving multi-valve DOHC engines the size of your morning cup of coffee zing out 150, 175 or even 200 hp. Ironically, these engines are more suited to the title of "high-tech" than the Camaro's 3800 Series II V6 pushrod motor, but we wouldn't exactly call the Camaro's distributorless, sequential fuel-injected, dual-electronic-spark-control V6 a low-tech motor, either.

At the drag strip, the Camaro's pushrod V6 really shined. A let's-get-acquainted 15.23/89.5 was followed by a 15.37/90.3, 15.41/89.8 and a 15.47/89.2, with the engine getting successively hotter from being hot-lapped. With the air filter out and the serpentine belt off, the V6 responded after a cooldown with a 15.03/91.0 and a 15.15/90.3. We did notice that above 4000 rpm the exhaust sounded noticeably restrictive; this leads us to believe that major gains in horsepower--perhaps as much as 10 percent--could be made with just a larger catback exhaust. This would put our test Camaro in the 14s without removing the air filter or belt. Still, we think low 15s going through in third gear with an open rear and a small radial tire is absolutely fabulous given the Camaro's budget status.

Give the V6 some gear, a catback exhaust, a small pair of slicks and a 10-minute tune-up and this budget bomber can knock down modular-motored Mustang GTs all day long. And while some diehard Ford fans are perfectly welcome to argue with this biased opinion, we already know of at least one automatic V6 F-body that is running 12.80s in NHRA Stock Eliminator.

If you're looking for a performance car--domestic or import--and you're on a budget, the V6 Camaro is perfect. Great looks, super all-around performance, autocross potential, numerous available aftermarket speed parts and rear-wheel drive make the V6 Camaro an obvious choice.

Originally published in GM High Tech Performance, November 1998.
(Removed from their online archive, so the article was cut & pasted here.)

Also available on Coastal V6 F-Body's website.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:25 am 
Cool Newbie
 WWW  Profile

First V8 europeans camaro muffler is not the same than V6 : same look but not the same part number.
european mufflers are RPO VP6 rated : noise level control
and WE DON'T HAVE THE SAME PCM !

and 200 hp SAE = 202.93 HP DIN

get a catback!
I've got mine since yesterday!
it's great!

for the chip, just a question :I feed my camaro with 95 octane fuel in France , what is the standard octane for us camaro?

-Corvette C5 MN6(ARH 1-3/4 Headers, Callaway Honker, TI muffler, pfadt Sway bars, Textralia OZ Clutch Grip Z, Pfadt suspensions, TFS 215 Head, VRX5 Cam, Ported FAST 92 / LS2 TB,Hp tuner Tuned, ... = 445 rwhp on mustang dyno) http://www.corvettecircus.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:18 am 
Fast Newbie
 WWW  Profile

Dear diamondduff,

you are the first who confirms my suspicion that the Euro- and US PCMs are different. Where did you get that info? And does a Hypertech Programmer or a Jet Chip work or not? The only company that confirmed to deliver custom programmed PCMs to European Owners is Westers.

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:14 pm 
Needs a Job
 ICQ  Profile

diamondduff wrote:
for the chip, just a question :I feed my camaro with 95 octane fuel in France , what is the standard octane for us camaro?

Euro 95 is US 91.
Euro 98 is US 93.

Ben