F-Body Europe

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Rear Wheel bearings
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:27 pm 
Fast Newbie

I'm not sure whether this applies only to the V6 or not but I need to replace the rear wheel bearings on my Firebird (1995 V6 3.4) and I'm not convinced it'll be a straight forward job.

I've contacted a parts firm already who told me I'll need a slide hammer to pull the old bearings off and that they run on the outside of the axle itself. I think that what he means anyway.

Has anyone here ever changed them and can offer some advice/guidance ? Would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Rear Wheel bearings
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:11 pm 
Headin' for a divorce

A slide hammer with a reverse 3 jaw pulller works wonders.
You will have to pull the diffcover to remove a small pin and block assembly to get to the c-clips.
Inspect the area where the bearing rides on the axle shaft. If it is pitted , it is best to replace the axle shaft.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:14 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Are you sure the bearings are gone? They're roller-type bearings, and shouldn't break too easily ...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you."
"Speed doesn't kill - suddenly becoming stationary on the other hand ..."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:25 am 
Fast Newbie

There's an awful lot of play in the rear wheels when held and wiggled side-to-side. That's the only reason I suspect the bearings are worn. They don't squeek so they're probably not dry yet but I can't think of anything else that would cause such play.

I've been told that a slide hammer is the way to go but an alternative was to bash them out with a long drift from the opposite axle. I'm not sure whether this is a viable option or not and I'm also not sure whether there's a risk of damaging the diff. I just don't know what to expect until I get the drums off and have a proper look.

Apparantly you can buy a repair kit which includes bearings that sit further along the axle if mine are damaged. I suppose if a new axle (or two) is cheap enough that would be a better option.

Why would anyone design bearings to sit on the axle shaft and not in a cup of some sort ? I just wish I could visualise these bearings.

Thanks for the input chaps. Will let you know how I get on.

* edit - I just found this which looks very helpful and might be handy for others too.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/transmissions-drivetrain/493071-tips-tricks-installing-axles.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:20 pm 
Headin' for a divorce

Yeah that bearing riding on a different part of the axle, is a so so fix. Due to its design it will usually leak and or cause problems rotor and caliper fitting up.