F-Body Europe

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: V6
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 4:21 pm 
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Hello can somebody please help me i wanne pump up my 28l V6 TBI it is in my S-10Pick Up.Where can i get parts for it and what kind of parts are the best for that engine.Because the engine got right now 149000miles on it.And i think soner or later he will leave me.On the track.So if anybody can help me.Thanx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 5:02 pm 
Headin' for a divorce

GM motorsports sells a complete 3.4 replacement engine for 1600 dollars . this is adirect boltin from a 2.8L. As for performance parts there is one camshaft and a couple sets of headers that are made . The headers are originally made for a camaro so you might have a fit problem in a S10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 8:25 am 
No Life
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

Roy... I have always heard that the 3.8 has alot more aftermarket upgrades, as oposed to the 3.4. Would the 3.8 also be an option?

RT1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 1:28 pm 
Headin' for a divorce

Quote:
Roy... I have always heard that the 3.8 has alot more aftermarket upgrades, as oposed to the 3.4. Would the 3.8 also be an option?

RT1

There isa few hardparts but nothing that compares with the Buick 3.8. I do not even know if a chev 3.8 has the same bolt up and plug and play capabilities to go from 2.8 to 3.8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:16 pm 
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Hey Roy do you have any adresses where i can get parts for the 2.8l v6 some hardcore racing parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:09 pm 
Headin' for a divorce

You may want to talk to Sergio about that. Since he has been in the game for awhile. I do know Crane makes a differnt cam for the 2.8 / 3.4.

Post subject: The deal
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 2:32 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

Wolverine makes a nice cam for the 3.4 that runs just over a $100 at JC whitney's.
Also pacesetter makes a nice set of headers that actually works in an Fbody however they do NOT bolt in easily in a 3rd genner let alone other vehicles.
You can upgrade the ignition using the DIS4 unit from MSD with 3 seperate coils.

The 3.8 has nothing in common with the 3.4 short of the thermostat. The 3.8 found in the camaro is also NOT comparable with the buick 3.8 found in the GN and Turbo T/A so don't even waste your time on it.

In the end everything can ofcourse be done but it ain't gonna be cheap or worth the trouble.
I know for a fact that modding the 3.4 in an Fbody is NOT worth the trouble/money so trading in or swapping the engine in favor of an Lt-1/LS-1 is the only way to go.
Keep in mind that a 3.4 is a bored and stroked 2.8 engine so it's pretty much maxed out.
It however is a very reliable engine engine that can get great gas mileage and can be fun from time to time :)

Hope this helps.

Sergio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 3:51 pm 
No Life

just trying to fill the board

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 9:19 pm 
No Life
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

Hey Sergio, you ever heard of a turbo or a supercharger for the 3.4? I have seen where people have had them made custom, I guess that is the route I will have to go. All I can find is this damn NOS.

RT1

Post subject: Nope
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 9:31 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

Nope, there are no such kits in the retail section.
MANY People 'CLAIM' to have done it and thee is even a guy called steve who attempted a turbo setup but he sold it as the engine wasn't working properly and he ran out of funds.
I yet have to see actual proof of a supernatural 3.4

Really, don't worry about it and simply upgrade to a V8. Having anything custom made for the 3.4 is gonna cost a S... load of cash and not worth it (expect about $3k+)

Mind you that a SC gives 40percent gain in the best situation, you'll endup with 224 hp at the cranks with the 3.4, big deal ....

I've given up long time ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 11:41 pm 
Poster in Chief
 WWW  Profile

Rob, you might get mid to high 13s with a good shot of nitrous..

Post subject: Nope
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 2:22 am 
 ICQ  Profile

No way !

Tim LeGros owned a white 95 3.4 V6 with ALL available bolt ons (including headers, hypertech reprogramming, ported intake, etc.) and was not able to run any faster than 14.1 on dragradials with a 90Hp Nitrous shot!!
He had 190 RwHp with all the bolt ons and reprogramming and he busted a healthy 253 Rwhp on the 248C dynojet with the nitrous on.
His car was an automatic btw.

The nitrous numbers make sense as that is what a typical Lt-1 puts out and they run low 14's to high 13's stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 8:10 pm 
No Life
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

So was this 'Steve' guy you mention, was his last name Stokes? I wrote him an email and he said that he had put $2500 into it and got $1800 for it. I was thinking that if I was to go to a V8, I should prolly just buy a new F-body though. (The wife didn't support that idea) I just am not sure I wanna go with the NOS. I think that a full time power gain would be better. I guess I should have thought of that before I got the V6. So what you know about NOS on the 3.4? Help me.

RT1

Post subject: Nitrous
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 9:35 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

The Nitrous on the 3.4 works well and the engine is pretty strong as opposed to what most people think.
As long as you have it all rigged up properly and you don't get carried away you should be fine.
A purge valve and rpm activated (WOT) trigger are welcome and do not Jet the nitrous more than 90 Hp.
I never looked at it as an option, it only lasts so long and getting it filled can be expensive in germany i suppose.
If you want a nice kit with some extra's your looking at a $1000 nitrous kit !

I'd indeed trade that badboy in and add $3000 and get yourself a Z or T/A.
That is not an option for me so i have to drop in a Lt-1. Not bad as i get to keep MY car and not drive somebody elses beater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 6:10 pm 
No Life
 ICQ  YIM  Profile

Did you say trade it in? Don't let the wife hear you say that. I love that car. I would just get another, prolly an SS or a T/A. But back to reality... I am going to be coming into some $ (I have been 'Man Whoreing) and want to put it into the engine, and am leaning towards the NOS. I would rather have a full time power gain, but power is power.

RT1

Last edited by RT1 on Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:57 am 

Quote:
GM motorsports sells a complete 3.4 replacement engine for 1600 dollars . this is adirect boltin from a 2.8L. As for performance parts there is one camshaft and a couple sets of headers that are made . The headers are originally made for a camaro so you might have a fit problem in a S10.
asctually th heasders were made for the S 10 and the camaro. The S 10's headers are still being made, the Camaro ones I am working on remaking and having limited manufacturing.